Main Menu

Lost store

Started by Zayre88, May 03, 2006, 06:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zayre88

The Ames store that i visited the most will finally be gone by the end of the year.  The former Zayre/Ames will be totally renovated and will become a Christmas Tree Shops with Bed,Bath & Beyond.  

The store has been vacant since the 2002 closing and i had time to snap many pictures of it.  While most of the 22 stores in Maine were converted into supermarkets and other stores, it remained available.

Here is a picture of the inside now.  Everything that was left inside is gone and the interior has been gutted.

Zayre88

The mall entrance is now boarded up.  I wish i could save that small red logo....!!

beachgal26

That logo is a great find and if it were up to me, I would contact whoever manages the mall and see if they could arrange to let you have it.  Since it will be taken down anyway and thrown out, they could at least consider it or direct you to who could make the decision.

Please keep in touch and let me know if you are able to get it.  Good luck!!

:bigsmile: :goodidea:

C. Fontaine

That's funny, when Zayre88 first sent me this pic weeks ago I also had the same idea and tried contacting the company that owns the lease.  They never got back to me... :(

Zayre88

They probably would not want to waste time in saving this and put it in a safe place...  Maybe it will remain there for a while because the work is inside at this moment.  Bed,Bath & Beyond will be the store using that wall and Christmas Tree Shops will be in the left part of the old Ames.  I even wonder if they'll keep that mall entrance to BB&B...  That small red Ames logo is a gem!

beachgal26

I would continue to try contacting both the leasing company for the mall and also the realtor.  Someone is still responsible for making sure the store is not vandalized, etc. and I feel sure that they would care less if you were take a little piece of history.

Please keep us posted...........

:goodidea: ;)

Zayre88

The local newspaper could not reach the owners of the mall for their comments about the recent acts of vandalism at the store.  I bet we can't reach them for that, but it's now probably too late.  The store has been entirely gutted, the front wall is wide open.  Here's a picture of late june 2006.

Zayre88

You can see what happened to that office trailer at the store.  In that picture we can see the "Available" banner still in place.  It gives you an idea on much of the front entrance is left...

(Picture from theKennebec Journal www.kjonline.com)

Zayre88

Bad news, the red Ames logo is gone!  Most of the store is gone too.  Christmas Tree Shops and Bed Bath & Beyond are taking shape.  The building lost it's Ames/Zayre exterior style.  It's quite clear that the new stores won't have a mall entrance.

But...  underneath that small Ames logo is a unique and rare labelscar of the former Zayre store!!!

C. Fontaine

Zayre88

From Ames to CTS and BB&B in Augusta.  The only original thing left is a small brick wall where the "Available" banner was.  You can also see the "labelscar" of the fire bell on the side of the store.  They built a new wall over the Ames/Zayre wall.

Whoser

So it is going to be turned into a Christmas Tree Shop! I was at that mall, 2 summers ago.

Zayre88

The store is now open.  Here is a view from across the Interstate.  Christmas Tree Shops and Bed,Bath & Beyond in the former Ames space...

HoJofan206

Thank you for documenting that transformation so well.  It is sad that you could not "preserve" the old Ames lettering.  At least you have it documents via pictures and this great web sight.  :-)

JJBers

Wait, wait, wait, I was there as early as 2007/2008. Cool
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)