That ames looks like a former zayre location any more pictures of it beside just the one?

Started by XISMZERO, May 01, 2006, 01:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XISMZERO

Here's a story for you all.

Last week my girlfriend and I went to visit Boston area Massachusetts about a little over an hour and a half to go to Woburn to visit an ancient Toys "R" Us still standing. After the photo shoot was over, we went into Boston to go to one of her favorite stores in Faneuil Hall. The weather was horrible; dark and rainy and my ability to follow directions is poor (but getting better). As we attempted to get out of Boston, I missed a slight left to get back onto Route 2 and I ended up following Medford St. all the way up. After a good ten minutes of misdirection, I ended up in Medford on Fellsway (the road the unexplored Ames was on). Immediately, I thought of Ames being there on Fellsway (and wondered if I was near it).

Low and behold, there it was to my right: a vacant Ames on the end of a strip mall. Since it was night and I was scrambling to find Route 2, I took a glance then took a left (which turned out to be Route 28, going opposite Boston) and eventually found myself on Interstate 93 going Northbound (back to New Hampshire, so I was relieved). We eventually took I-495 to get back to Leominster and 2 West which saved us a whole lot of time from following 93 up into Nashua, NH.

My girlfriend calls me up again within days of my visit back to New Hampshire saying she wanted some skirt she saw last week from Urban Outfitters in Boston. Of course this item wasn't on the website or catalog so we were destined to go back. Horrors of my journey from a week earlier flashed furiously in my mind as I did not want to revisit Boston again and the completely chaotic driving conditions of the city.

I succumbed after awhile because I was originally planning to get back to Medford soon to capture the unexplored Ames in that town. I hadn't known I'd be getting back so soon but nevertheless, after actually getting slightly misdirected again, I found that Ames again and documented it for the Ames Fan Club. I also had the treat of seeing a vacant/recently closed Toys "R" Us opposite end of the same strip mall (also something I had planned to see).

I didn't want to drag my girlfriend to anymore places so I avoided looking for the other vacant Toys "R" Us only miles away on Alewife Brook Parkway in neighboring town Cambridge (also right off Route 16) which was more or less a minute or two from our way home. She's the best and supported my quests but I will be back there soon hopefully.

Everyone enjoy the photos!
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by jbarn02

It was one of the first zayre stores built in 1957

XISMZERO

The link is the word "photos". Here it is again a little more clearer...

Ames Medford, MA

Also, I suspected this might be a former Zayre as it looks very much like it was one. Aside from being in a strip mall, this Ames looks very much like the one in Agawam (check my signature for photos of the Ames in Agawam or in the store locator for Fontaine's).
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Update! Facebook album completed and now available in my signature.

Click here > Medford Mania
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

C. Fontaine

Yes, this most definitely is a former Zayre if it has that facade style.  Good one Xismzero!

XISMZERO

I couldn't secure any indoor shots as the glare was too strong that [sunny] day. Fontaine, feel free to add any of my Ames journeys on the store locator if you want!
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

C. Fontaine

I definitely am going to, sorry for the delay.  I am revamping the store locator in php to make it easier to use and update!

Caldor1999

i have to say nice pics def a fomer zayer to abd the indows had paper over them o btw i took pics of the ames in palwing ny to add to the store locator
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
I definitely am going to, sorry for the delay.  I am revamping the store locator in php to make it easier to use and update!

That's splendid news. Since you've just been popping in and out here and there I thought you were just letting us forum members keep the site alive. I assumed you were just busy and such with your life but I'm more than glad to know you're improving this amazing site. I look forward to the future updates!
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO

That's splendid news. Since you've just been popping in and out here and there I thought you were just letting us forum members keep the site alive. I assumed you were just busy and such with your life but I'm more than glad to know you're improving this amazing site. I look forward to the future updates!

the pawiling ames and the carmel ames are teh only 2 ames that were enar me now one of them is almost gone and i dont know when there gonna get rid of teh carmel one but i dont know of any outehr ames that are close to me maby i should go see some in CT
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

C. Fontaine

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO

Thanks!  I do have a lot going on in my life right now, as I'm sure everyone does but I try to put time aside every day for this site!  Thanks again!

d_fife

the 65,000 sq.ft. ames in medford mass vacant as of april 21, 2006 and was one of the first zayre stores in 1957.

Lastdaysofrain

This is right down the street from where I live. I shopped there often when it was a Zayre's and when it was an Ames.

Also the now closed Toys R Us was formerly a "Child World" store.

Lastdaysofrain

They are now demolishing this store.

They are making a brand new Super Stop and Shop there.  There is a Loews going into the old Stop and Shop location.

C. Fontaine

XISMZERO

Good thing Nick and Dan were able to grab pictures of it!

I believe that Toys R Us on the other end was snatched up as well. But it wouldn't be the first Ames store I have on file before demolition or repossession. I've only been shooting retail pictures for over a year and a half now, too. How rewarding it is when you look back...
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

C. Fontaine

I definitely hear you there Nick.  It's great to have photo memories of now non-existant stores.  It's crazy looking through all our photos in the photo gallery and seeing how many are redeveloped, pretty much the purpose of our photo gallery!

Here's some shots someone just sent me of the Cambridge, OH location.  Another one on it's way out, not from development but urban decay.

http://www.amesfanclub.com/archive/main.php/v/ames/stores/OH/cambridge/

This store has some history. I did some research and found this store was originally a Zayres, converted to Ames, then shuttered during the first bankruptcy.  Hills picked this location up and it was converted yet again nto an Ames, thus resulting in this location having two different store #'s!

Lastdaysofrain