Great American Stores - New York

Started by BillyGr, April 19, 2006, 04:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gu4ever

The Great American road sign.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

gu4ever

The store front of the former Great American.

gu4ever

gu4ever

gu4ever

This picture shows the service desk off to the left and directly in front of the windows were the checkouts.

gu4ever

The Great American store in Hancock, NY.

gu4ever

Welcome to Charlie's Great American store!

gu4ever

The Great American meat department and deli.

gu4ever

The older interior decor package of the Great American.

gu4ever

The Great American interior wall sign.

gu4ever

Make sure to reserve your parking spot at the Great American.

gu4ever

The Great American store front and entrance.

amesman

The interior of the store above is exactly the way I remember the New Paltz store looking like. Very nice to see :)

gu4ever

This was the first Great American store that I've seen in my travels that actually looks pretty modern. This store is located downtown in Sidney, NY.

gu4ever

Produce department sign.

gu4ever

The Great American bakery.

gu4ever

The great american graphics.

gu4ever

Thanks for stopping by the Great American Supermarket.

BillyGr

According to the Times Union (Albany), it looks like Slater's Great American (in Cairo, NY) will be turning into a Hannaford store in the near future.

http://blog.timesunion.com/business/new-hannaford-supermarket-planned-for-cairo/22591/

This is the third Hannaford to be announced in the last few months in the Columbia/Greene County areas.  The other two being Columbia County across the river - New Lebanon (a new building near a former locally owned store that closed a year or so ago) and Livingston (an area without any grocery store at all), and now this one (the Great American being the only grocery store in Cairo and also being an area that many would come to first from the mountain areas with few if any grocery stores before getting to Catskill).

Scrabbleship

Quote from: BillyGr on January 28, 2011, 08:11:54 PM
According to the Times Union (Albany), it looks like Slater's Great American (in Cairo, NY) will be turning into a Hannaford store in the near future.

http://blog.timesunion.com/business/new-hannaford-supermarket-planned-for-cairo/22591/

This is the third Hannaford to be announced in the last few months in the Columbia/Greene County areas.  The other two being Columbia County across the river - New Lebanon (a new building near a former locally owned store that closed a year or so ago) and Livingston (an area without any grocery store at all), and now this one (the Great American being the only grocery store in Cairo and also being an area that many would come to first from the mountain areas with few if any grocery stores before getting to Catskill).

Hannaford is the beneficiary of Price Chopper resting on its laurels and steering clear of smaller areas in recent years. Price Chopper's big concerns seem to have drifted to Vermont and New Hampshire lately, well that and keeping Wegmans out of anywhere east of I-81 though the under construction Wegmans near Worcester is in Golub territory.

As for the earlier Sidney pictures, they remind me a lot of the arrangement and decor the Millerton, NY Great American had during its brief time (1993-96) in the chain before it was sold to Grand Union. That was a WTF expansion for them given it was isolated from other locations by over 40 miles and they couldn't parlay their default business from SE Columbia County and NW Connecticut into any further success.

BillyGr

Quote from: powersbt on December 04, 2006, 08:15:01 AM
They are still around, but they are locally owned. I would say that it has been around 10 years since they went out, and were bought up locally. Many locations closed as the Result, but many of the stores in the small towns remained open under new ownership. Not sure if they have a website.

Since you posted this originally in 2006, you are fairly close on the dating.

I found an article in an old issue (Oct 19, 1995) of the (also now defunct) Columbia County Independent newspaper - here's the beginning of it:

HEADLINE - Six-week-old Chatham market set to close this weekend
This past Friday the 13th was a tough one for Chatham Supermarket owner James Liles. 
He spent the day making the grim decision to close down the grocery store he opened on Coleman Street just six weeks ago.
After spending more than $100,000 to refurbish the former FINAST building, Mr. Liles suddenly lost his sub-lease when GREAT AMERICAN FOOD STORES filed for CHAPTER 11 BANKRUPTCY.

Great American leased the building from Robert Trotta of MILLERTON Supermarket for about $75,000 a year, and Mr. Liles subleased "for less than half that amount" from Great American.

So this gives not only a date for the bankruptcy, but also a connection to the Millerton location and maybe at least one (probably minor) reason toward their bankruptcy (if they were sub leasing sites for far less then they were paying).

Additionally - to update the post two above:
The Livingston Hannaford is set to open in May, the one in New Lebanon was turned down by the town and DOT (leaving them without a store since the locally owned store there, at one point also owned by one James Liles, closed a couple years back) and no idea on the Cairo one, but they still have a website (slatersgreatamerican.com) and still appear to have an ad for the current week, so I guess they haven't changed yet!

BillyGr

And continuing to read through the old Independents, in the March 4, 1996 issue is this arcticle:

Grand Union comes to Millerton
Long circulated rumors that Grand Union would take over the Great American store on Route 44 became a reality last Tuesday (February 27th, since there is a 29th in 1996) when a new Grand Union officially opened for business.

But Dan Vaillancourt, public relations director for the supermarket chain, says even Grand Union did not know it would be acquiring the 27,500 square foot store until four days before it's official opening.

Mr. V says GU became interested in the property several months ago after Victory Markets, parent company to Great American, went bankrupt.

He says GU looed at the store and the location and "thought it would be a good fit."

"We put in a bid in bankruptcy court," adds Mr. V, 'but we did not receive an official court order that the property as ours until last Friday, February 23."

Due to the short turn around, no major changes were made, but they will be once there is time to look at the store and see what is in the budget.
Interesting point - none of the Great American employees were hired, but about half of the 35 employees were forer GU employees that had been laid off or put on reduced schedules after GU itself closed 24 stores the prior year during it's bankruptcy, most in the Capital Region and Mid Hudson Valley.
Most of the former employees came from either closed Kingston or Poughkeepsie locations (I'd guess the Poughkeepsie was the downtown one that became RiteAid/Davis Furniture, not sure where in Kingston there was one, since the only one I know of in the plaza with Walgreens (just off 587 and the thruway) stayed until the final bankruptcy, I believe?

amesman

Yes, the Kingston Plaza store stayed until the end.  The other Grand Union was out on Route 9W in Ulster and is now occupied by Aldi/Family Dollar.

Retail Regents

The one in West Winfield closed on February 28, 2019. It will soon become a Dollar General Plus.

https://961theeagle.com/west-winfield-grocery-store-great-american-is-closing/

https://961theeagle.com/dollar-general-plus-opening-in-west-winfield/

Retail Regents

Quote from: BillyGr on March 31, 2012, 08:14:17 PM
And continuing to read through the old Independents, in the March 4, 1996 issue is this arcticle:

Long circulated rumors that Grand Union would take over the Great American store on Route 44 became a reality last Tuesday (February 27th, since there is a 29th in 1996) when a new Grand Union officially opened for business.

But Dan Vaillancourt, public relations director for the supermarket chain, says even Grand Union did not know it would be acquiring the 27,500 square foot store until four days before it's official opening.

Mr. V says GU became interested in the property several months ago after Victory Markets, parent company to Great American, went bankrupt.

He says GU looed at the store and the location and "thought it would be a good fit."

"We put in a bid in bankruptcy court," adds Mr. V, 'but we did not receive an official court order that the property as ours until last Friday, February 23."

Due to the short turn around, no major changes were made, but they will be once there is time to look at the store and see what is in the budget.
Interesting point - none of the Great American employees were hired, but about half of the 35 employees were forer GU employees that had been laid off or put on reduced schedules after GU itself closed 24 stores the prior year during it's bankruptcy, most in the Capital Region and Mid Hudson Valley.
Most of the former employees came from either closed Kingston or Poughkeepsie locations (I'd guess the Poughkeepsie was the downtown one that became RiteAid/Davis Furniture, not sure where in Kingston there was one, since the only one I know of in the plaza with Walgreens (just off 587 and the thruway) stayed until the final bankruptcy, I believe?

The Millerton Grand Union closed February 28, 2017 due to the lease not being renewed. It was quickly replaced with Millerton Fresh Market.

Scrabbleship

Quote from: Retail Regents on May 17, 2019, 11:33:33 PM

The Millerton Grand Union closed February 28, 2017 due to the lease not being renewed. It was quickly replaced with Millerton Fresh Market.

Millerton Fresh Market is owned by the Trotta family, the same family that had sold their Millerton supermarket with little warning to Great American in 1993. This brought everything full circle.

I lived in Millerton during this period and Great American was never given a good fit for there between how far it was from other locations to that the bar was set very, very high as Trotta's. Grand Union actually invested quite a bit in the store and it was fully converted to their latest decor package by the start of that summer. Given the lack of markets in southeast Columbia County and northwest Litchfield County, it takes from a much larger are as one would think even before Millerton became a "destination".

Retail Regents

JimSawhill

Quote from: Scrabbleship on May 19, 2019, 04:45:29 PM

Millerton Fresh Market is owned by the Trotta family, the same family that had sold their Millerton supermarket with little warning to Great American in 1993. This brought everything full circle.

I lived in Millerton during this period and Great American was never given a good fit for there between how far it was from other locations to that the bar was set very, very high as Trotta's. Grand Union actually invested quite a bit in the store and it was fully converted to their latest decor package by the start of that summer. Given the lack of markets in southeast Columbia County and northwest Litchfield County, it takes from a much larger are as one would think even before Millerton became a "destination".

Is it still open? I'm thinking of vacationing and visit abandoned stores...

Retail Regents

Quote from: JimSawhill on July 16, 2019, 05:04:14 PM
Quote from: Scrabbleship on May 19, 2019, 04:45:29 PM

Is it still open? I'm thinking of vacationing and visit abandoned stores...

They quietly vacated their store.

Retail Regents

Got a better picture of the Prattsville location's exterior. It's kind of strange this, as a smaller almost non-chain store got restored after Hurricane Irene yet the Grand Union in Middleburgh got destroyed and is still abandoned to this day.