Great American Stores - New York

Started by BillyGr, April 19, 2006, 04:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyGr

This is a chain of smaller stores, generally in the upstate NY area.  They have closed may stores over the years, but still have stores in (per their flyer):

Cairo, Fonda and Prattsville (in the 518 area code)
Afton, Bainbridge, Cooperstown, Delhi, Greene, Oxford, Sherberne, Sidney, Undadilla (in the 607 area code)
Boonville,Bridgeport, Lyons Falls, Richfield Springs, Tully, Watertown, West Winfield (in the 315 area code)
and Liberty in the 845 area code for a total of 20 stores.

They are owned & operated independently (or in small groups) - kind of a coopertive like ShopRite or others.

The first two shots are the former store in Schoharie - about 10 miles from Cobleskill - as you can see they are tearing down/remodelling, for what I don't know (no signs).

The 3rd shot is the Cooperstown store (on Rt 28, still in the village).

The 4th is the Delhi store (on Route 28 where it makes a turn).

amesman

wait, is the first shot in Middleburgh or Scoharie? I found an old Great American in Scoharie last year, with the logo still up and everything. If its the same one, then thank the lord I got pictures..

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
wait, is the first shot in Middleburgh or Scoharie? I found an old Great American in Scoharie last year, with the logo still up and everything. If its the same one, then thank the lord I got pictures..

No doubt that that was originally a Victory Markets store.

BillyGr

OOPS - I meant Schoharie (Middleburgh has a Grand Union which is still open - at least this week's ad says it is).  Knew it was one of those small towns!

I'm really glad you got that picture too!

amesman

I hope the vacant one in Canajoharie is still there..hehe

Anonymous

The Canajoharie store still stands vacant... lol.. the Cooperstown store is really a nice store inside and out, I remember waaaayyy back when they were remodeling it , then a few years after the chain went bankrupt.  I recall locations such as Walton NY- now Big M, Oneonta NY- Now Office Max, Richfield Springs- closed recently and remains vacant, Hancock NY- closed recently vacant- GU across the road.  They used to be so big... everyone used to shop there.  Now its a small town last resort kinda market.  I'm not sure how much longer Delhi will be open as the new Price Chopper has just opened.

amesman

Here's a shot of the Canajoharie, NY Great American.

JimSawhill

Hmm...

Great American had a store in Millerton, NY, before it became a GrandUnion. GA had a HUGE STORE in New Paltz and in Amerina (I believe they became Grand Union, then Stop & Shop!)

JimS

BillyGr

Great American had a store in Millerton, NY, before it became a GrandUnion. GA had a HUGE STORE in New Paltz and in Amerina (I believe they became Grand Union, then Stop & Shop!)

The one in Millerton is still a Grand Union (one of the few that remain under that name - or rather GU Family Markets).

The Amenia (I'm assuming that what's you meant) one, along with several other GU's are now Foodtown stores (or at least they were - not that the website shows any in Dutchess County now - but they just re-did the LaGrange one so I assume they still are - just must be the updated website that is mixed up).

The New Paltz - after GU it had been a local place, but I believe that closed as they are now building a Stop & Shop (that is where the Ames was, however).

amesman

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr

The one in Millerton is still a Grand Union (one of the few that remain under that name - or rather GU Family Markets).

The Amenia (I'm assuming that what's you meant) one, along with several other GU's are now Foodtown stores (or at least they were - not that the website shows any in Dutchess County now - but they just re-did the LaGrange one so I assume they still are - just must be the updated website that is mixed up).

The New Paltz - after GU it had been a local place, but I believe that closed as they are now building a Stop & Shop (that is where the Ames was, however).

I didn't know the New Paltz Great American became a Grand Union. I was in there as a little kid when it was still GA. Now its a Peter Harris clothes and an Advance Auto Parts store I believe.

Also, Foodtown still operates the old Grand Union in LaGrange.

Here's a pic of the former New Paltz Great American as it looks now.

d_fife

here is the closed great american in malone new york in the former ames plaza

amesman

Here is the Prattsville, NY store on Route 23. Still open.

powersbt

I remember passing this store quite a few times on my way in and out of Hunter Mountain. I may have been in that store, in fact I know I was when I went to Tannersville a few weeks after that. That particular store has the characteristics of a former Victory Markets.

Here is the Prattsville, NY store on Route 23. Still open.

amesman

Alot of the Great American's up that way were indeed Victory stores. This one, one in Stamford and Margaretville(both now closed), and a few others were Victory Markets.

mikey1972

Most Great American stores in Northern New York state were taken over from the Canadian-based Loblaws chain in the mid-1970s, but were gone by the mid-1990's.  Unfortunately, the only store in my area left open is the one in Watertown, NY.  That's because the employees bought the store out from the company.  Our former Great American in Ogdensburg closed in 1992 and never reopened.  Now that plaza is completely vacant and scheduled for demolition next year. :(

powersbt

I can add West Winfield, New Berlin, and  believe Greene's was a Victory as well.

Alot of the Great American's up that way were indeed Victory stores. This one, one in Stamford and Margaretville(both now closed), and a few others were Victory Markets.

mikey1972

I know that Great American was owned by Victory Markets.  The old store in my hometown had a video rental department named "Victory Video."

powersbt

You are correct. Both the Great Americans and the Victorys that I went in had Victory Videos regardless of the store's name. They originally had their headquarters in Norwich, then moved them to Utica. I can't remember where they now call their Headquarters home.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikey1972

I know that Great American was owned by Victory Markets.  The old store in my hometown had a video rental department named "Victory Video."

mikey1972

Here's a photo from the end of 1992 in my local paper (Ogdensburg (NY) Journal) about the impending loss of our local Great American.  The store was taken over from Loblaws in 1975 and after Great American left, it was never reoccupied.  It will be demolished (along with the rest of the plaza) next year.

JimSawhill

All:

Is  Great american still around?? Do they have a website?

JimS

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by JimSawhill
All:

Is  Great american still around?? Do they have a website?

JimS

They are still around, but they are locally owned. I would say that it has been around 10 years since they went out, and were bought up locally. Many locations closed as the Result, but many of the stores in the small towns remained open under new ownership. Not sure if they have a website.

david121

Oh god... there's one like four blocks away from my house and it's the worse place to go grocery shopping in the area, and it pretty much caters to the residents of the area (which are mostly white trash).

I could go on, but it has been convienent in the past.

gu4ever

The store front sign, no longer looking so bright.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

gu4ever

Shopping cart in the parking lot.

gu4ever

Red, white and blue floor tile.

gu4ever

gu4ever

gu4ever

gu4ever

gu4ever