Last One

Started by BillyGr, April 03, 2006, 08:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyGr

This is a mall (and plaza mixed) post to give some ideas on the Oneonta area, as was being discussed in the smaller enclosed malls thread (and to keep that thread from turning into mostly Oneonta).

This first picture starts on Route 7, heading South.  You have just passed the entrance to I-88 (Exit 16).

The first small plaza on your left is the Price Chopper plaza - this must be the store they built to replace the one next to Jamesway.  It has the Price Chopper at one end and the Eckerd at the other, with a few smaller stores in between.

Continuing on down Route 7, the next building on your left is now a School (shown in bottom two photos) - this is (by the map) the former Jamesway plaza.

BillyGr

Now, continuing down Route 7, the next thing on your left is the Brooks House of BBQ (a fairly well known restaurant, and comapny that provides BBQ as fundraisers to places throughout the area).  The next plaza you come to is the Oneonta Plaza (sign still says this).

It is occupied by a Stock building supply store (1st shot), Scholet furniture store and Towne Carpet (2nd shot).  There is also an outbuilding which houses a Furniture & Mattress outlet (3rd shot) - appears to have been Advance auto at one point (possibly by the black/red roof).  Last shot is the sign itself (the A.G. Edwards is a separate building to the front left of the plaza, and next to that is an Arby's facing Route 7).

Maybe this plaza had the Grant's?

BillyGr

Continuing down Route 7, you'll see a Pizza Hut on your left - after that there is a light with a road that makes a sharp turn and does downhill.  This is the entrace to the (former) Pyramid mall.  The top three photos show the mall (from left to right facing Route 7, with some overlaps).  The sign is also shown (Fox Care Center).

Over to Route 23 and the Southside Mall - first the sign.

Next the (former) KMart end of the mall, then the JC Penney and the Office Max.

I also have a few other photos of scattered stores from the area, which I'll post on the appropriate pages.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr
Continuing down Route 7, you'll see a Pizza Hut on your left - after that there is a light with a road that makes a sharp turn and does downhill.  This is the entrace to the (former) Pyramid mall.  The top three photos show the mall (from left to right facing Route 7, with some overlaps).  The sign is also shown (Fox Care Center).

I also have a few other photos of scattered stores from the area, which I'll post on the appropriate pages.

the kmart was vacant when I went there 2 weeks ago. the mall had KB toys, waldenbooks, applebee's. the mall was a little dingy. It did not have very many vacant stores.

here is part of the mall

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife

the kmart was vacant when I went there 2 weeks ago. the mall had KB toys, waldenbooks, applebee's. the mall was a little dingy. It did not have very many vacant stores.

here is part of the mall

more southside

d_fife

here is part of the mall

more southside

here is more southside

d_fife

this officemax did not have an indoor entrance. maybe it was an original hannaford at the time. most supermarkets are that way in a mall, located next to a store that does have an indoro entrance.

the kmart closed 3 years ago and was 82,000 sf.

d_fife

this was the former kmart in the southside mall.

powersbt

this officemax did not have an indoor entrance. maybe it was an original hannaford at the time. most supermarkets are that way in a mall, located next to a store that does have an indoro entrance.

the kmart closed 3 years ago and was 82,000 sf.

The Office Max was originally a Great American. One of their biggest ones. It was surprise to see it go out as early as it did. Hannafords came into Oneonta in '94??, and have always been where they are now. As far as I know, the only Supermarket to have an indoor Entrance in the Oneonta area, was when Price Chopper was in the Jamesway Plaza.

amesman

Also, the Oneonta Plaza did indeed have a Grants. My Dad has fond memories of it. He also remembers the Jamesway very vividly. And BillyGr, your shot of the Price Chopper is taken at almost the exact same angle, and has the same lighting as my picture of the store. Pretty interesting(unless you took the picture. It's ok if you did. Doesn't bother me at all).

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
Also, the Oneonta Plaza did indeed have a Grants. My Dad has fond memories of it. He also remembers the Jamesway very vividly. And BillyGr, your shot of the Price Chopper is taken at almost the exact same angle, and has the same lighting as my picture of the store. Pretty interesting(unless you took the picture. It's ok if you did. Doesn't bother me at all).

Thanks for clearing up the Grants issue. I remember the Jamesway myself, going there quite a few times as a kid. My dad used to tell us about going there as a kid and sitting in the cars watching the movie at the Drive-in Movie Theatre that was up the road while his parents were shopping.

KyleRF

What anchors are at this mall? I haven't been here since 2003 when I went to Cooperstown, NY, to visit the Baseball Hall of Fame.

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by KyleRF
What anchors are at this mall? I haven't been here since 2003 when I went to Cooperstown, NY, to visit the Baseball Hall of Fame.

I guess the OfficeMax and JC Penney would be the only two big enough to consider anchors (along with the former Kmart space now empty).

Also, while I'm at it (to answer another question)  - all these pictures I have posted are ones that I personally took.  The Oneonta ones were from this past Sunday (I'd say around lunchtime) and the Price Chopper one was actually while I was sitting at the light waiting to make a left into the plaza - (had to wait for the light, figured I might as well do something useful!).

amesman

oh ok. cool. I mean, I wasn't trying to accuse you or anything..hehe. It wouldn't bother me none at all. I just though it was cool that it looked the same as my picture of the store.

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by KyleRF

I guess the OfficeMax and JC Penney would be the only two big enough to consider anchors (along with the former Kmart space now empty).

Also, while I'm at it (to answer another question)  - all these pictures I have posted are ones that I personally took.  The Oneonta ones were from this past Sunday (I'd say around lunchtime) and the Price Chopper one was actually while I was sitting at the light waiting to make a left into the plaza - (had to wait for the light, figured I might as well do something useful!).

Might even go to the extent of calling the Applebees one of it's anchors as well. The last time I was in there was Memorial Weekend of last year, still remaining in there was a Waldenbooks and a Kay Bee Toy Store. I was in Bainbridge NY for the Canoe Regatta, and in order to get my brother to tag along with me, I have to feed him, so we went to Oneonta to eat at Applebees. I did stop off in Sidney to get photos of the old K Mart, which I should get around to scanning. I didn't realize that they built a new store. I had thought that they simply closed the Sidney location due to poor sales.

Billy, any other photos from your trip to the Oneonta area??

SomeBeach

Applebee's wouldn't have been an anchor... unless you're counting the Ben Franklin that it used to be as a junior anchor...