Foodtown - NY, NJ, PA

Started by BillyGr, March 28, 2006, 01:00:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyGr

Didn't see this one - this store chain is in New Jersey, Southern New York and a couple stores in Eastern Pennsylvania - no relation to other similar named stores in other areas or the old Food Town (now Food Lion) further south.

This is a store in LaGrange NY (On Route 55, just outside Poughkeepsie).  It is a former Grand Union, which FT bought during bankruptcy (along with several others in surrounding areas).  They just now remodeled it, after running it just as it was (complete with GU carts) since they took over.

davidsky

This in an old thread but I love this store!
OK, maybe not that much because the prices are high but it's not nearly as crowded as the Price Choppers and Stop and Shops and there's really pretty girls working there. :roll:
It's called Fresh Town now but it's the same company

NJxxJon

There is one 17 miles north of me (freehold...) and me and friends have went there @ 3 in the morning and hung out on the benches.....
JN

GothicPrincess

Jersey City, NJ on Central Ave was Foodtown, then Edwards, I worked there when it was Edwards. Now it's a Stop N Shop.  I was only there a few months and kept getting screwed over so I walked out and ended up working as a security guard in the nursing home close to the North Bergen Toys R Us, across from the old Discovery Zone/HIP building. My father-in-law still shops at the Stop N Shop. He said the inside is fairly the same, just the name changed.
Jaime...BRADLEES FOREVER!!!

FearlessSwan

Toy truck featuring old logo.

NJxxJon

My old one it looks like......damn! Stop n shop is not that great.....(Foodtowns are not as 24 hrs of fun as they used to be anyway)  ::)
JN

jerseygearhead

I know I'm replying to a thread made in 2011...im sorry

My sister and I worked at a Norkus Foodtown in downtown Freehold NJ which is one of the ones that didn't get bought by Stop & Shop. It was probably one of the worst places I ever have worked at, but at the same time my family has been shopping there for as long as I can remember (along with Pathmark) and I've had a lot of fond memories with Foodtown. I stopped working there in May of 2010 and my sister was transferred to another FT in 2010 which was bought by Stop & Shop. Unfortunately with the opening of the Walmart Supercenter nearby both stores, it seems as if they're both going to close soon.

nysw3636

Hearing word that Foodtown Dover Plains,NY is closing by months end...

BillyGr

Quote from: nysw3636 on May 12, 2014, 06:58:05 PM

I wonder if it might be both that and the Amenia store?

If you go to the store locator (http://foodtown.mywebgrocer.com/StoreLocator.aspx) it has both stores, along with the one in Cold Spring listed with the same store manager name (Nora Hassan), which seems kind of strange, unless there just happen to be 3 people with the same name (not too likely, but I guess always possible)?

Also - the Amenia and Dover listings both say please contact store for hours, while Cold Spring (and others) list the store hours on the page - perhaps another sign that the hours may change (like if they close).

Scrabbleship

Quote from: BillyGr on May 13, 2014, 10:26:39 AM
Quote from: nysw3636 on May 12, 2014, 06:58:05 PM

I wonder if it might be both that and the Amenia store?

If Dover Plains closed, it leaves a pretty big area sans supermarkets. Aside from Freshtown in Amenia, the closest full supermarkets are A&P in Pleasant Valley and LaGrange, Hannaford in Pawling and LaGrange, Stop & Shop in Poughquag and New Milford CT, and Big Y in New Milford. All 10+ miles away.

Closing Amenia would be a disaster and it would put the Millerton Grand Union at risk as Freshtown was poised to take it over if the proposed Hannaford that is currently stalled ends up DOA.

nysw3636

Dover Plains Foodtown has "Store Closing" signs up and will be closed by months end...
. Word has it that CVS has purchased the property...

nysw3636

Dover Plains is closed. Amenia store has ads welcoming Dover Plains customers.

DefunctStoreKing

please show some pics of foodtown brand groceries with the old logo (frozen pizza, etc.)
Erik "Taz" Mokracek

http://tazsnewforums.proboards37.com/index.cgi
Everyone Can Join My Message Board

Defunct Store Yahoogroup Maker Since 2007

Randy Amasia (October 9, 1957-December 12, 2001)

David Zinkin (November 19, 1970-August 13, 2008)

http://classix.110mb.com
My Webpage