Main Menu

Florida stores

Started by C. Fontaine, March 21, 2006, 11:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C. Fontaine

Just curious, if you have been able to nab any receiving signs, post them here!  The more we have been able to salvage, the better!

My collection is:

Sturbridge, MA
Dudley, MA
Silver Spring St, Providence, RI
Torrington, CT
Rocky Hill, CT (Had another older one glued underneath, also taken.)
Planagram Bulding, Rocky Hill, CT
Dayville, CT
Hartford Ave, Providence, RI

XISMZERO

Went to the Agawam, Massachusetts store this morning and did an updated photo shoot. I found this store to be quite fascinating from your galleries and took quite a bit of the building which still lies vacant. I saw a receiving sign and after a first failed attempt, I went back and got a penny, then a dime to unscrew the rusty screws from off the wall. Five minutes later full of thwanking metal sounds and achy hands and now it's mine :)

Here it is nestled in the safety of my garage (until I wipe it down some more for showcase in my room).
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

C. Fontaine

Nice dude!  I remember seeing it there when I went!  Yeah, that is a very interesting location!  Is the entire plaza over there still empty as well?  I know that the location Ames is in is terrible, it was barely visible from the roadway and everything was overgrown...

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
Went to the Agawam, Massachusetts store this morning and did an updated photo shoot. I found this store to be quite fascinating from your galleries and took quite a bit of the building which still lies vacant. I saw a receiving sign and after a first failed attempt, I went back and got a penny, then a dime to unscrew the rusty screws from off the wall. Five minutes later full of thwanking metal sounds and achy hands and now it's mine :)

Here it is nestled in the safety of my garage (until I wipe it down some more for showcase in my room).

nice find to bad the ames in carmel ny dosent hve one i still wish i coukd find it but any ways nice find
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

C. Fontaine

beachgal26

What great finds for your collection!  What is the difference as to when Ames had the teal color and the red?  (I remember the teal as the "official" Ames color more than any other.)

BTW - have you ever been able to find any information on any of the FL stores?

:)

dmx10101

I would contribute the Jacksonville, FL store to the locater but I don't know the address of it.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

C. Fontaine

No, unfortunately no real complete information.  I wish we did.  I've kind of been hoping for an ex-executive or something from Ames to come across the site and provide us with a full list of stores, but it doesn't seem that will be happening anytime soon!

beachgal26

All that I can remember about the Ames in Kissimmee is that it was located off Irlo Bronson Hwy (which also went by several other names depending on what part you were on) in a shopping center that also contained a camera shop, printers, Hallmark, etc.  (It has been so long that I don't remember the name of the cross street anymore, but it was right on the corner and had a good deal of traffic every day.)

One funny note that I will never forget is that while I worked for a small security company in 1986, one of our security guards had that store as their assigned post for the evening.  Since he knew that a shipment of TVs, VCRs, etc. was scheduled to come in, he alerted some of his friends and when the cops arrived, they were all busted for placing the inventory in their cars instead of the store.  Boy, was he in a world of trouble!

:insane:    :insane:   :insane:

dmx10101

Ok I finally have the Ames info for Jacksonville, FL. Based on reasearch from businesses located in the old Ames building, it was located at

11000 Beach Blvd
Jacksonville, FL 32246

It was a former Zayre's location and had a Zayre's Auto service center attached to it. IT was a very large Ames/Zayre's store. Ames closed it only a couple of years after it was changed to an Ames.

This was the Zayre's my dad worked at when he was younger. It was at that location for a long time.

The original building is still standing as is the road sign and parking lot lights. The building was gutted and turned into a strip shopping center.

I will try and take pictures of it when I visit FLA next month.

While searching for info online I came across this on a website- "Renovation, expansion and re-merchandising activity was recently completed at Sun Plaza in West Orlando, FL.  The 125,235 sq.ft. project, which was the former home of Zayre/Ames store, now has Bally's Fitness, Home Shopping Club, Discovery Zone, Party City, Jennifer Convertible and Pet Supermarket as anchor tenants."
I guess there was an Ames/Zayre's in Orlando also.
Retail World on Youtube
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

C. Fontaine

Nice, thanks!  I am also planning to grab some pictures of the Ames in Hollywood, FL next week when I go down there.

beachgal26

If you will be in the Hollywood area, please see if you can find out anything about the Kissimmee location.  I can't remember the intersecting street name, but it is located in a shopping center on Irlo Bronson Hwy. (also known by Vine Street and several other names depending on how far out toward Disney you were going).

Pics would be great, too!!

;)

C. Fontaine

No problem, will do!

dmx10101

I found out from my dad there was another Zayre's, (I'm not sure if it was an Ames too) that was in Jacksonville. It was located at 5800 Beach Blvd Jacksonville, FL 32207.
Retail World on Youtube
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

C. Fontaine

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgal26
If you will be in the Hollywood area, please see if you can find out anything about the Kissimmee location.  I can't remember the intersecting street name, but it is located in a shopping center on Irlo Bronson Hwy. (also known by Vine Street and several other names depending on how far out toward Disney you were going).

Pics would be great, too!!

;)
Alright, I looked up area Hallmark stores in my work system and I came up with one in this plaza, which is in Kissimmee on the corner of Irlo Bronson Hwy...  Does this look like the former location, Beachgal?

beachgal26

Now that I think about it, there was a Hallmark store in the same shopping center on the far right side.  I don't why I remember that there was also a drug store, printer and camera repair shop (circa 1988) in there as well.

Could it be that since the Ames was the only store located to the far left, that they leveled the area after the store closed?  It would seem odd that they couldn't fill it with something else, but who knows what these developers are thinking at times??

Do you happen to have any details on the store (when it opened, how long it was a Zayre and an Ames), etc.??

:tumble:

beachgal26

Just curious, Chris, if you were ever able to find out any updated info on the Kissimmee, FL store?  (If it helps, I do remember that it used to be a Zayre.)

:yup:

dmx10101

QuoteOriginally posted by dmx10101
Ok I finally have the Ames info for Jacksonville, FL. Based on reasearch from businesses located in the old Ames building, it was located at

11000 Beach Blvd
Jacksonville, FL 32246

It was a former Zayre's location and had a Zayre's Auto service center attached to it. IT was a very large Ames/Zayre's store. Ames closed it only a couple of years after it was changed to an Ames.

This was the Zayre's my dad worked at when he was younger. It was at that location for a long time.

The original building is still standing as is the road sign and parking lot lights. The building was gutted and turned into a strip shopping center.

Here's the Zayre's/Ames that I was talking about in Jacksonville. It is still the original building of when it was zayres/Ames but its now a strip center. The part that juts out on the left was the Zayre Auto center. It was only an Ames for a couple of years and then they close it. It was the only Zayres/Ames I've ever been to when they were still in business.

Retail World on Youtube
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

dmx10101

QuoteOriginally posted by dmx10101
I found out from my dad there was another Zayre's, (I'm not sure if it was an Ames too) that was in Jacksonville. It was located at 5800 Beach Blvd Jacksonville, FL 32207.

Here is this location. I'm not positive this was a Zayre but my dad thinks this was where it was located.
Retail World on Youtube
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

C. Fontaine

That facade there definitely has the signs of a former Zayre's.

C. Fontaine

As far as I know, beachgal, this is the only thing I could find!  It's hard to find any info on older locations :-(

jmcnamara96

i will be going to bridge street Lowell mass sunrise plaza in a few weeks ill c if its there maybe get some pics 4 the website i use to go there every week with my mom and grand mother till its final day:yup:

nomeus

you guys are close but no cigar....that image above is albertsons....zayre/ames used to sit here, see image. the front of the store faced north and has been completely gone since the mid 90s?

nomeus

also that wasnt always an albertsons. it was a food world followed by publix and now albertsons.