Store clsings

Started by Zayre88, March 17, 2006, 07:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2006 Store closing poll

Total Members Voted: 0

Zayre88

These stores are all in diffucult positions and some have financial problems, maybe one or more could go out of business... Vote now!

What store chain will close in 2006 ?

d_fife

sears essentials for sure but the rest I believe have long term future prospects.

Caldor1999

im going to go with Sears they have been introble ever since the year 2000 they dont have much of a good clouthing line like Macys and JC Penny do much of there stores have a crappy dizne they clsoed over 100 stores since the year 2000 began inculing 89 stores in 2001 i think if they dont do something to chage there image there going to end up like there old rivle Montgomery Ward
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

store215

I think Sears will be around for a few more years at the very least, and I don't see all Kmarts closing this year either (although many are/will be converted to Sears Grand)

Toys 'R US is a possibility, Big Lots had reorganized itself and has even opened new stores since closing down a bunch.

ShopKo seems likely as they recently closed some of their stores and they have Target and Wal-Mart to compete with.

XISMZERO

Out of that list, I'd say K-Mart should go. I won't vote for it because I don't think K-Mart/Sears will go out. The Sears name is quite prominent and I don't think they're in any trouble enough to go under just yet. Toys "R" Us has been suffering for years but still holding in there. If they don't get their acts together and reinvent the store, you're gonna see more stores close soon.

K-Mart, however, should've gone away five years ago with Caldor and Bradlees; two exceptional stores compared to the Big K. I last two K-Mart stores I visited lately were laughably bad. The store is distressed and just needs to go away as it doesn't compare at all to the modern age of big box department chains like Wal-Mart and Target.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
Out of that list, I'd say K-Mart should go. I won't vote for it because I don't think K-Mart/Sears will go out. The Sears name is quite prominent and I don't think they're in any trouble enough to go under just yet. Toys "R" Us has been suffering for years but still holding in there. If they don't get their acts together and reinvent the store, you're gonna see more stores close soon.

K-Mart, however, should've gone away five years ago with Caldor and Bradlees; two exceptional stores compared to the Big K. I last two K-Mart stores I visited lately were laughably bad. The store is distressed and just needs to go away as it doesn't compare at all to the modern age of big box department chains like Wal-Mart and Target.

ive been going into Sears my Whole life so i ahve seen changes since the 1990s alot of there storesd are dirty and nevre keeped well they donmt sell anything good realy and they can be over priced i think the merger with kamrt just bouth them sometime i wouldent say there going to go out next year but in the next 10 years they probley will there to expnvide to be a discount store and to cheep to be a dept stores there bacley no need for sears unless that find ways to improve there stores i alwyas see it as teh store in the mall thats just there for no resion not to mention malls get trashed with sears carts all over but i do think Sears will end up liek montgomery ward just because teh name s fimaler to evreyone dosent mean it will close people were fimaler with names such as Woolworth and Montgomery Ward and look wghat happend to them so i sadley think Sears will gfo in to that catgory sooner or latter
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

thedisneystore967

i have a different store then the one in that poll...it's lord & taylor
I think they will close in 2006 because the have poor quality stores and nobody ever shops there.
Plus when my mom went last year her credit card wouldn't process, so she told them to do it by hand. They told her they couldn't do it that way.
My mom got so extremely angry that she hasn't shopped at L&T Since.
That story was suprising to me cuz L&T's sister company, Hecht's took credit cards by hand....
So that's why i think lord & Taylor will go.
P.S. Schools out for me (Finally!!!) so i'll be posting here more often.

beachgal26

I still miss the K-Marts of the early 90's.  (Frankly, I miss just about everything retail-related from 1985-1998.)  The whole shopping experience was so much more fun since there was alot of variety for the consumer.  On any given day, I could choose anything from K-Mart, Ames, Zayre, GC Murphy (a personal favorite since the 50's!), Best and a whole lot of other local and national stores depending on what I was looking for.  

The whole problem with the generic Wal-Marts is that while their prices are low and they have alot of bargains, every store feels the same as the next one and you don't get the feeling that they care whether you are there or not.  In fact, most stores give you that feeling now.  It's a shame that many stores allow their employees to be apathetic and offer little or no service.  When I have to stand at a counter and either wait for the employee to get off her cellphone or finish a conversation with a co-worker - even they know that I am there and waiting for help - it makes me understand why so many of my friends choose to buy everything online!

When the national chains wake up and figure out that we are getting tired of being treated as though we don't matter, maybe then they'll understand why people stop coming to shop at their stores.

Thanks for letting me vent!!!

:rolleyes: :mad: :( :rolleyes:

XDeSuEhTX

Hmm... I don't know much about Shopko, but with the exception of that, I wouldn't say any of those stores would be going out of business anytime soon... and I really don't see anything happen this year. Kmart was is a tight spot for a while, but I think they're going to pull through, at least until they can all become part of the Sears name as promised. But I really don't see that much doom right now in the retail industry... Could be just me though...
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

Zayre88

Well, nothing happened...  The only thing is Sears Essentials but it's a change of brand only !  What's in store for 2007?

C. Fontaine

My vote is set between K-Mart and Toys R' Us.

The economy as of recent, has been holding steady.  The richer are getting richer, giving higher profile stores the upper hand, and boosting their sales above forecasts.  Middle and lower class incomes are holding steady, so people are going to where the prices and selections are, and Wal-Mart of course.  So, I think K-Mart could be the next to either go out, or become Sears Essentials.  The former K-Mart in Putnam, CT has already converted.  Their stores do seem to be in dire need of update both visually and technologically.  The same can probably be said about Toys R' Us, their stores seem pretty outdated and pricey.  People today seem to be drawing more to trendy and clean cut stores such as Kohl's, and even Target.  Leaving their aging, white tiled floor, stained drop ceiling forefathers behind to fade into retail history.

Big Lots, on the other hand, is doing quite well.  They are opening record numbers of stores, and renovations to their previous apperance are proving to draw in more customers.  I'll even admit, I've been in a few Big Lot's and seen them before and after, and their new appearance is practically sparkly clean, and orange.  You can also take into consideration that they get much of their merchandise from struggling chains, looking to unload overstocked merchandise fast and cheap.

Caldor1999

i would want to say Sears and kmart bouth have been haveing problmes for years i mean kmart has gotten a little better but not really and Sears well has been crap since the late 90's when they started to go down hill
Caldor Forever!

XISMZERO

None of the above will close this year. I think Kmart is in it's last years, but is going to stick around for a bit longer until it's parent, Sears, has plans for its direction and how it wants to go in in lieu of the Gwinett prototype.

I believe the "Sears Essentials" brand is discontinued, but I'm sure closing existing stores isn't in this year's forecast. Toys R Us and Kmart are too big of names to fade plus they both have too many stores to just end. Remember, neither one is endangered of bankruptcy (like Chapter 11).
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

NJxxJon

I dont like big lots or any "wholesale" store. Shoprite is cheaper in bulk for shoppers sake:duh:
JN