Bradlees

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeRa

Quote from: Stork of The Weak on April 04, 2014, 03:43:54 PM
Is the Two Guys/Jefferson Ward/Bradlees in Bordentown NJ still empty? And what about the other half of the former Acme in Bordentown (one half now is a Food Lion). There was once a Medimart, then a Walgreens next to the Bradlees, but after Walgreens closed it later was split into Fashion Bug and Blockbuster, but of course those chains are both gone now. I think the ShopRite on the other side of the Bradlees was a Stop & Shop but not sure about that one.
I believe Bottom Dollar Food took more than half of the Bordentown Acme Sav-on building.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Stork of The Weak

What is the former Bradlees in the Dorchester section of Boston today? I seem to remember reading it was later a National Wholesale Liquidators closeout store, but that chain went out of business around 2005. Dorchester is a lower-income area so I don't imagine the space has a very fun tenant at this point, but the former Bradlees in the Chelsea suburb of Boston, also a low-income area, has been a Home Depot for a long time, which is better than a lot of other tenants that could have opened at the site.

BillyGr

Quote from: Stork of The Weak on April 17, 2014, 11:45:22 AM
What is the former Bradlees in the Dorchester section of Boston today? I seem to remember reading it was later a National Wholesale Liquidators closeout store, but that chain went out of business around 2005. Dorchester is a lower-income area so I don't imagine the space has a very fun tenant at this point, but the former Bradlees in the Chelsea suburb of Boston, also a low-income area, has been a Home Depot for a long time, which is better than a lot of other tenants that could have opened at the site.

This one?

Massachusetts / Dorchester 725 Morrissey Blvd. Dorchester, MA-02122 / Tel. 617 929-3790

Still listed on http://nationalwholesaleliquidators.com/nwl-locations/ - Apparently a smaller group of the stores still exist under a new ownership of some sort.

Caldor1999

Quote from: BillyGr on April 17, 2014, 07:16:48 PM
Quote from: Stork of The Weak on April 17, 2014, 11:45:22 AM

This one?

Massachusetts / Dorchester 725 Morrissey Blvd. Dorchester, MA-02122 / Tel. 617 929-3790

Still listed on http://nationalwholesaleliquidators.com/nwl-locations/ - Apparently a smaller group of the stores still exist under a new ownership of some sort.

they still have some locations open in NJ
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Stork of The Weak

If I didn't know better, NO WAY would I have ever guessed the former Bradlees in Totowa, NJ (now split between Bed Bath & Beyond and their sister chain Buy Buy Baby) was a Two Guys originally. It seems very small for a Two Guys, but about the same size as the earlier Bradlees stores. Also, the former Two Guys in Eatontown, NJ became a Bradlees, even though a smaller Bradlees nearby had to close, which wasn't that old.

Caldor1999

Heres the bradlees inside the Fairfield Mall In Chicopee, MA when it was open
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Stork of The Weak

Sorry if this has been asked before. Would any of the Bradlees that closed between the period 1988-1996 have had an early Bradlees logo when they closed? The logo the chain closed with was first used no later than 1974, but I'm not sure exactly when it was first used. 1970 perhaps?

Caldor1999

Quote from: Stork of The Weak on May 01, 2014, 02:27:25 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before. Would any of the Bradlees that closed between the period 1988-1996 have had an early Bradlees logo when they closed? The logo the chain closed with was first used no later than 1974, but I'm not sure exactly when it was first used. 1970 perhaps?

Alot of the 1988 closings were Jefferson Ward locations i believe this is when they exited from the south. From what i know alot of their stores has the newer logo
Caldor Forever!

Stork of The Weak

It's a shame Pizza Hut signed an agreement with Target in 1997, because it seemed having Pizza Hut Express at Bradlees towards the end of the chain's life helped them hang on longer than they might have. Now at least one former Bradlees is a Target but the only food operator at the Target is Pizza Hut Express, and guess what they have ICEEs which Bradlees also used to sell. BJ's also had an agreement with Pizza Hut at one time but now has an agreement with UNO. Also it seems unfair that Walmart has Nathan's at many stores, which Caldor used to have. And look at a lot of smaller New England Walmarts a lot of them used to be Caldor.

store215

Quote from: Stork of The Weak on May 24, 2014, 11:49:40 PM
It's a shame Pizza Hut signed an agreement with Target in 1997, because it seemed having Pizza Hut Express at Bradlees towards the end of the chain's life helped them hang on longer than they might have. Now at least one former Bradlees is a Target but the only food operator at the Target is Pizza Hut Express, and guess what they have ICEEs which Bradlees also used to sell. BJ's also had an agreement with Pizza Hut at one time but now has an agreement with UNO. Also it seems unfair that Walmart has Nathan's at many stores, which Caldor used to have. And look at a lot of smaller New England Walmarts a lot of them used to be Caldor.

I don't think having a Pizza Hut express or whatever really draws people into a store, IMO...it's sort of just there for convenience. Not really sure what point you are trying to make.

Stork of The Weak

True, it's not an essential feature, but read this article: http://articles.philly.com/1994-01-31/news/25823759_1_food-court-stores-personal-pan-pizza

The Bradlees in Glenolden was a JM Fields, then Two Guys, then Jefferson Ward, then Bradlees, and has been Walmart for the past ten years, which has had one major remodel. I was amazed they had trouble keeping up with the demand for pizza at Christmastime. Now a Taco Bell with Pizza Hut Express is across the street, which opened right after Bradlees closed (perhaps some of the same employees work there?) Also the Kmart in Holmes down the street, which no longer has a Little Caesars, was across from a traditional 60's/70's Pizza Hut (opened around the same time as MacDade Mall including the Kmart) that closed in 2000. Now a very successful restaurant with bar called Italian Delight, which used to be in the mall, is in the former Pizza Hut building. MacDade Mall opened in 1970 with Woolco and Super Saver which then became Kmart and Acme, which both specifically are now Big Kmart and Acme Sav-on. The inside of the mall closed in 2006, but Marshalls opened last year in a huge chunk of the former enclosed mall, and Ross is coming soon next door.

Caldor1999

http://s719.photobucket.com/user/charmedone9806_album/media/2000.png.html
New London Mall 1982

Latham NY (closed in 1996 became an ames)

Norwalk CT 1996 2000 2001

Caldor Forever!

TRJ_22487

I bought these photographs from the Grand Opening of the Bradlees in Bridgewater, New Jersey.
These photos are from Autumn 1993, not the 1980's (Mighty Morphin Power Rangers pillows) This was a newer store.
The men and women in suits were the C.E.O.'s of Bradlees. I didn't scan them because I didn't want to devalue my purchase.

These two photos can actually be overlapped like this for a wider look at what this store looked like.

This location became a TJMaxx/Best Buy. In these shots you can see the brown/red stripes from Bradlees still on the building.

Ameskid

That's incredibly cool. Bigger than I expected...
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

Caldor1999

That was a nice Bradlees store never seen one with the warehouse wal mart looking ceilings.
Caldor Forever!

BillyGr

I think (based on a map of where Bridgewater is) that is one you can see off of I-287.

retailfan

That store reminds me of Venture when they opened in Indianapolis same basic design  very short lived a few became hills and even one a Kmart  now closed

TRJ_22487

In addition to those photos, I also got a Bradlees shopping bag recently that had been hiding under my Dad's sink for nearly 15 years at least!

TRJ_22487

Giant Budweiser can outside of Bradlees in Hackensack, NJ in 1992

And here is the same location in 1973 taken from one of the buildings seen in the first picture. This is now a Home Depot.

buzz86us

Quote from: Caldor1999 on December 24, 2014, 09:47:59 PM
http://s719.photobucket.com/user/charmedone9806_album/media/2000.png.html
New London Mall 1982

Latham NY (closed in 1996 became an ames)

Norwalk CT 1996 2000 2001

the latham location is still standing it is now a Hobby Lobby

BillyGr

Quote from: buzz86us on May 18, 2015, 08:06:04 PM
the latham location is still standing it is now a Hobby Lobby

More precisely, part of it is Hobby Lobby.  The other part is what Price Chopper expanded into to make their existing Price Chopper into the Market Bistro store now there.

TRJ_22487

Ahhh, I love once in a lifetime purchases like this

Here is the Bradlees in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts. It is from the 1960's, but an exact year was not given.
I have no idea what ever became of this store
(I have since figured out this was White City Shopping Center in Shrewsbury - This was the location of White City Amusement Park from 1905 to 1960. The plaza was constructed immediately after.)

As a fun little side project for myself, I am currently in the process of colorizing it. I will post the results when I finish!

Chuck E. Cheese

I'm Planning on Going to the Bradlee's in Manchester to add to my Video.

Chuck E. Cheese

TRJ_22487

Quote from: M.R.CALDOR on July 09, 2015, 04:35:24 AM
Great photo, and colorization job, Ted Turner could learn a lot from you.

Hahaha thank you, it's a fun little side project for me. I put a little more work into it tonight. Maybe it will only take me a week or two to complete.

The only thing I don't know for sure, was the Bradlees sign actually red?

Or should it be green like this? I'm almost questioning that the signs might look like this instead...

Chuck E. Cheese

Quote from: Marc B on July 09, 2015, 01:10:34 PM
Quote from: Patrick Boots CEC on July 09, 2015, 12:14:57 PM
The one at Manchester Parkade? When?
http://www.deadanddyingretail.com/2012/04/in-manchester-connecticut.html
Still There as of 2011.

Patrick, May 2012.

See this thread: http://amesfanclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=3215.0
Oh, Well That's Too Bad. :(
I Guess I'll Just have to use the Ames Material.

Whoser

Back from a Roadtrip to Jersey!

Both the Hazlet and Bordentown locations are still standing; Although Bordentown's signage and Road sign are gone. Hazlet how still stands frozen in time with its road sign and labelscar still present. The Front door of the Hazlet location was actually open! So got to peak inside, still nearly frozen in time, moldy and musty though! All you heard in that building were crickets and birds singing! and had I not taken a few more steps in, I wouldn't have set off some sort of motion alarm (or something!); Nearly thought it was a wild dog screaming at first. Got out of the building and took off; Pictures of that site to come soon!

Chuck E. Cheese

I've recently learned That I Know someone that worked at the Bradlees in Middletown, CT. A Little far from me but i've been there a couple of times. She says it was behind Dennys Restaurant, which is still there, upon research, On South Main Street. The Bradlees website shows it as 400 regular Main St, near a toy/hobby store. Some have said it was on East Main Street, near the Super Stop and Shop, which seems more possible dud to the family connections. Denny's is 655 S Main, and if the address number is 400, that's where a small Pizza Place was. If where she/he described was correct, than It was behind Dennys, which is now a fitness club. Perhap there were 2? And/Or the Old Bradlees Website is error?

Back on track, she said that there was a whole ton of people putting junk stuff on layaway because they couldn't afford it during the holiday season. I Dont actually know the age of this person so it could have very well been before the 1980s and where we know the present day Bradlees is(/was).

(Thanks for reading, lol.)

standa

Quote from: Patrick Boots CEC on January 25, 2016, 02:23:28 PM
I've recently learned That I Know someone that worked at the Bradlees in Middletown, CT. A Little far from me but i've been there a couple of times. She says it was behind Dennys Restaurant, which is still there, upon research, On South Main Street. The Bradlees website shows it as 400 regular Main St, near a toy/hobby store. Some have said it was on East Main Street, near the Super Stop and Shop, which seems more possible dud to the family connections. Denny's is 655 S Main, and if the address number is 400, that's where a small Pizza Place was. If where she/he described was correct, than It was behind Dennys, which is now a fitness club. Perhap there were 2? And/Or the Old Bradlees Website is error?

Back on track, she said that there was a whole ton of people putting junk stuff on layaway because they couldn't afford it during the holiday season. I Dont actually know the age of this person so it could have very well been before the 1980s and where we know the present day Bradlees is(/was).

(Thanks for reading, lol.)

I believe both Bradlees and Stop & Shop in Middletown, CT had moved from the first location you mentioned (near Denny's) to East Main St. I think Bob's is there now.