Bradlees

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmcnamara96

Quote from: Caldor1999 on August 21, 2011, 10:27:30 PM
Bradlees Yonkers NY back in the late 90's this store opend in 1993 and had two florrs and was the only bradlees in Westchester County

This couldnt have been made for bradlees?any idea as to its original tenant was?Jeferson Wards?

standa

Quote from: jmcnamara96 on July 17, 2012, 12:38:25 PM
Bradlees Yonkers NY back in the late 90's this store opend in 1993 and had two florrs and was the only bradlees in Westchester County

This couldnt have been made for bradlees?any idea as to its original tenant was?Jeferson Wards?

It may have been Alexander's Dept. Store, although I am not certain.

TRU7536

Quote from: standa on July 17, 2012, 03:32:07 PM

I actually got to go to it when Bradlees was GOB. I was going to school in White Plains and the store was huge. It's now a Burlington Coat Factory.

TRJ_22487

1983 Dundalk, Maryland Grand Opening

Caldor1999

Quote from: TRU7536 on July 17, 2012, 04:37:06 PM

I actually got to go to it when Bradlees was GOB. I was going to school in White Plains and the store was huge. It's now a Burlington Coat Factory.

im from westchester so this was the only bradlees i ever remember going to the whole shopping center looks nothing like it did back then they redid everything
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

TRU7536

The Bradlees in Manchester is officially gone. The whole land parcel is just dirt.

TRJ_22487

Nashua, New Hampshire Historical Society released these photos of the Globe Plaza, formerly Simeneau Plaza.
I recall d_fife having photos of this plaza from the mid 90's but they were never properly scanned.
I loved the way this Bradlees looked, it resembles my old high school from the outside quite a bit.
These photos are from 2001, though they look much older. 

No longer known as Globe Plaza, here is the lot today.

You can use the pine trees in the background as a reference to where everything was.
You can see the doors and windows of the old Salmon Brook Mall remain intact.
Rent-a-Center is still in the same spot.

d_fife

I went there a few times. it was the 13th store it opened in 1962 or 1963. what Bradlees was bigger Nashua mall or Globe Plaza?

TRJ_22487

Quote from: d_fife on October 01, 2012, 11:43:43 PM
I went there a few times. it was the 13th store it opened in 1962 or 1963. what Bradlees was bigger Nashua mall or Globe Plaza?

I believe the mall was a bit bigger but I could be wrong, I don't have the numbers and am just going by memory. Truthfully when I go to Nashua these days I find it barely recognizable from the city I remember as a child. Hell even since 2004 when I started revisiting as an adult the Amherst/Nashua area has quite a few retail and structural changes. Time sure flies.

Caldor1999

Bradlees Former JM Feilds in Tower Mall in Portsmouth VA this location most likely closed long before the chain ever filed for CH 11

Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

JimSawhill

Quote from: Caldor1999 on February 18, 2013, 10:30:13 AM
Bradlees Former JM Feilds in Tower Mall in Portsmouth VA this location most likely closed long before the chain ever filed for CH 11

What is there now??

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

JimSawhill

Quote from: Caldor1999 on April 06, 2013, 11:32:19 PM

Where was that Bradlees??  It looked like a nice store.

MikeRa

Quote from: JimSawhill on April 08, 2013, 01:57:44 PM
Quote from: Caldor1999 on April 06, 2013, 11:32:19 PM

Where was that Bradlees??  It looked like a nice store.
The top Bradlees is definitely a former Woolco location, and the bottom Bradlees is a former Jefferson Ward location, not sure if this JW location was a Two Guys or something else prior to being a JW
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Caldor1999

East Brunswick NJ judging by the hair i wanna say these are from 1990
https://www.facebook.com/BradleesEastBrunswick

Caldor Forever!

bubcolbert1952

Where was the Bradlees seen here?: http://pics3.city-data.com/businesses/p/5/6/2/2/4215622.JPG

All I know is that it must be in New England somewhere... obviously a former earlier Bradlees.

bubcolbert1952

Meant to add something to my above post: notice the lighting inside the Burlington I pictured, which at least makes it look like the Burlington has a "warehouse" ceiling as do Home Depot/Lowe's-type stores and wholesale clubs. A number of Bradlees in the Baltimore/DC area closed and became Hechinger stores in the late 80's, around the same time a number of former Kmart stores in that area closed and became Builders Square stores, even though Hechinger would ironically buy Builders Square anyway in 1997, only to go out of business in 1999, not long before the infamous Kmart bankruptcy of 2002. So perhaps this store was also a Hechinger at one point? Bradlees also closed a store in Lawnside, NJ in the late 80's (even though it had only opened in 1985) and it became a "Mr. Good Buys" store, part of a scattered regional chain which went out of business in 1991. The Home Depot opened one of their first Greater Philly stores at this site in 1992, and yet the building has never been remodeled from its days as a Jefferson Ward, though it was remodeled heavily when it switched from Two Guys to Jefferson Ward in 1980.

Also, a Rickel was very close to this Bradlees, which opened in 1970 and closed in 1997, so it outlived the Mr. Good Buys. And guess what this unusually large Rickel store became: Kmart! This Kmart was later a Sears Essentials which has since closed, and I get the feeling Home Depot will move to this site soon in the future, considering their original Lawnside store is over 20 years old at this point and is badly showing its age, with an exterior over 30 years old that hasn't even been repainted in a long time. Lowe's has a more modern store nearby which opened around the same time Rickel closed. The former Pathmark next to the former Rickel (Pathmark used to own Rickel and the two divisions often paired stores in PA and NJ) became a ShopRite recently, which would give Home Depot another good reason to move to the Rickel site. It's surprising though that ShopRite opened in the Pathmark building instead of the Rickel building even though both were available at the same time, and the Pathmark was a small store from 1968 that had a minor expansion around 1977, but nothing ever since.

Caldor1999

Bradlees in The Fairfield Mall in Chicopee MA taken sometime in the 1990's

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

this was the only bradlees in westchester county all i know is it opened in 1993 i believe they had pictures of it on their old website
Caldor Forever!

BillyGr

Quote from: Caldor1999 on December 26, 2013, 07:08:12 AM

this was the only bradlees in westchester county all i know is it opened in 1993 i believe they had pictures of it on their old website

Probably not, but there is always the possibility of Mays?  The most know one is at the Dutchess Mall, but they had (per Wikipedia) about 9 stores at one point, and 4 or so outside of NYC, so it could be one of those four.

standa

Quote from: BillyGr on December 26, 2013, 09:29:22 PM

Probably not, but there is always the possibility of Mays?  The most know one is at the Dutchess Mall, but they had (per Wikipedia) about 9 stores at one point, and 4 or so outside of NYC, so it could be one of those four.

The linked NYT article states that Bradlees had acquired a few Alexander's stores, including the Yonkers one, so that's most likely the one shown.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/09/24/nyregion/big-chain-to-reopen-6-department-stores-shut-by-alexander-s.html

Caldor1999

Quote from: standa on December 27, 2013, 09:04:50 AM

The linked NYT article states that Bradlees had acquired a few Alexander's stores, including the Yonkers one, so that's most likely the one shown.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/09/24/nyregion/big-chain-to-reopen-6-department-stores-shut-by-alexander-s.html

this makes sense since it was the only location in Westchester county which was a country dominated by Caldor. But from what i know bradlees never operated stores in long island and only had one location in NYC Caldor took up a chunk of former Alexander's locations in the Bronx and Queens as well as long island and according to this these were locations that caldor its self got like the store on Fordham Road
Caldor Forever!

standa

Quote from: Caldor1999 on December 27, 2013, 05:23:26 PM

this makes sense since it was the only location in Westchester county which was a country dominated by Caldor. But from what i know bradlees never operated stores in long island and only had one location in NYC Caldor took up a chunk of former Alexander's locations in the Bronx and Queens as well as long island and according to this these were locations that caldor its self got like the store on Fordham Road

You are right.  Caldor ended up getting those other stores you mentioned, because they outbid Bradlees at a later date.  However Bradlees kept the Yonkers one, maybe because Caldor already had a store there.

Caldor1999

Quote from: standa on December 27, 2013, 07:02:25 PM
Quote from: Caldor1999 on December 27, 2013, 05:23:26 PM

You are right.  Caldor ended up getting those other stores you mentioned, because they outbid Bradlees at a later date.  However Bradlees kept the Yonkers one, maybe because Caldor already had a store there.

yep they already had a store just few blocks down on central ave Caldor was pretty dominate in the NYC metro area were as bradlees fared better throughout  New England
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

I saw the remains of a Bradlees this last weekend at Pleasantville NJ (it showed the store hours)

Caldor1999

speaking remains here is the inside of the old bradlees/caldor in Hamilton NJ

http://theweirdusmessageboard.yuku.com/topic/4559/Its-Bradlees#.UsB_prR1mBx
Caldor Forever!

bubcolbert1952

Whoever took those pictures would be in BIG trouble if he happened to be seen by the cops when either entering or exiting the building. A woman was strangled to death inside the abandoned JCPenney at Dixie Square Mall in 1993 (each piece of which had already been abandoned at least 15 if not 20 years)...

Caldor1999

not too sure if this has been posted

Bradlees Ad 0286 by JSF0864, on Flickr
Caldor Forever!

Stork of The Weak

Is the Two Guys/Jefferson Ward/Bradlees in Bordentown NJ still empty? And what about the other half of the former Acme in Bordentown (one half now is a Food Lion). There was once a Medimart, then a Walgreens next to the Bradlees, but after Walgreens closed it later was split into Fashion Bug and Blockbuster, but of course those chains are both gone now. I think the ShopRite on the other side of the Bradlees was a Stop & Shop but not sure about that one.

JoshAustin610

The Bordentown Two Guys became Jefferson Ward around 1980 before becoming Bradlees in 1986, so it wouldn't have had a Stop & Shop or Medimart (Stop & Shop was gone from NJ by then, and even then they didn't go that far south).  The space Jefferson Ward wasn't using most likely became Shop-Rite right away.  Medimart wouldn't have been opening stores next to Bradlees that late either.