Main Menu

Ames

Started by amesman, January 05, 2005, 01:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRJ_22487

The store locator shows that Baltimore, Maryland had four different Ames throughout the years, but only one of them has any photograph at all. These are two other Baltimore area locations that I think are supposed to be those. They are also listed as their separate metro areas.

Here is the Glen Burnie, Maryland location which closed in 1990 and has no photos in the store locator.
July 2nd, 1990 at 7900 Black Crane Highway, Glen Burnie. It was Store # 2583.

March 26th, 1992 at 8500 Black Liberty Road, Randallstown. It was Store # 0521.

BillyGr

Quote from: TRJ_22487 on June 18, 2012, 05:44:50 PM
The store locator shows that Baltimore, Maryland had four different Ames throughout the years, but only one of them has any photograph at all. These are two other Baltimore area locations that I think are supposed to be those. They are also listed as their separate metro areas.

Here is the Glen Burnie, Maryland location which closed in 1990 and has no photos in the store locator.
July 2nd, 1990 at 7900 Black Crane Highway, Glen Burnie. It was Store # 2583.

March 26th, 1992 at 8500 Black Liberty Road, Randallstown. It was Store # 0521.

In both of the above, it looks like the blk refers to BLOCK not BLACK

(Thus the Glen Burnie one is in the 7900 Block of CRAIN Highway and the Randallstown one is the 8500 Block of Liberty Road)

If I remember correctly, Crain Highway branches off of Ritchie Highway (MD 2, which is one of the main routes in the Glen Burnie area, connecting Baltimore to the Annapolis area) at a Y angle - not sure exactly how far you go to get to the 7900 block.

TRJ_22487

Ah, good catch. I've been to that area all of like three times in my life haha.

C. Fontaine

I noticed today if you go to http://amesstores.com you end up at a Honeywell security console.

jmcnamara96

Drove past the Ames in Jay Maine today its now a Dollar Tree unsure how much spce they leased but a labelscar of the A was on the building while D.T. covered the rest of it got a few pics il upload soon not good quality stuff but nice enuff

ynkeesfn82

My mom bought some place-mats at a yard sale yesterday that were originally purchased at AMES.

bubcolbert1952

I just found out the Ames in Vineland NJ was built as a King's in 1964. It seems so weird because I was absolutely convinced it was a Zayre (but that was just a guess based on the appearance, and I guess most discount stores in the old days looked alike).

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

zonemad96

In the back room of biglots in Westminster, MD

Stork of The Weak

WOW that Ames in Painted Post looks like a former Kmart inside. Could it have been one? Grant City had a store in Paulsboro, NJ which became a Kmart, but closed and became an Ames in 1984. This site must be jinxed because the Ames closed in 1992, long before both Ames and Kmart declared bankruptcy.

Stork of The Weak

I say we all petition Total Wine (& More) to open a store at the empty Ames site in Painted Post, NY making it their very first store in New York state. I'm sure a lot of Canadians would be attracted to the store with its huge selection and much lower prices on everything than the Liquor Control Board of Ontario stores (Ontario isn't that far away from this part of NY).

TheFugitive

Canadians don't need much encouragement to engage in smuggling.
My Ames store was only about 30 miles from the border.  We would be
overrun by Canadian customers on weekends.  They would put on five
layers of new clothing they had just bought and smuggle it home.

"Anything to declare?"  "No, sir, Officer, eh?"

Michigan sales tax at the time was 4%.  In Ontario, between sales tax and
GST you were paying around 15%.

Left their old duds lying all over the parking lot.

amesman

Painted Post, NY is a former Weston's.

Stork of The Weak

Quote from: TheFugitive on April 11, 2014, 08:22:29 AM
Canadians don't need much encouragement to engage in smuggling.
My Ames store was only about 30 miles from the border.  We would be
overrun by Canadian customers on weekends.  They would put on five
layers of new clothing they had just bought and smuggle it home.

"Anything to declare?"  "No, sir, Officer, eh?"

Michigan sales tax at the time was 4%.  In Ontario, between sales tax and
GST you were paying around 15%.

Left their old duds lying all over the parking lot.

My goal wouldn't be for anyone to break any laws... it's just that most liquor stores in NY suck, and non-food stores are allowed to sell beer but no other booze. Also Painted Post is in a region of the state with a lot of wineries, which right now seem to have nowhere decent to sell their products (except for at the wineries themselves).

Stork of The Weak

Quote from: muppethammer26 on April 13, 2014, 01:48:44 PM
When I was about to land at Orlando Airport at night, I saw some storefront lights with green letters, thinking that Ames still exist in Florida, just with darker green letters.

No way. Ames is long gone, even though some of their stores are still empty, maybe even with their signs still up.

Stork of The Weak

Quote from: muppethammer26 on April 14, 2014, 02:40:40 PM
I saw like ten of them. Do you know which stores or store chains in Orlando and Florida uses green letters?

Publix? The famous Florida supermarket chain?

Stork of The Weak

There probably are a few Publix stores that were once Ames and probably Zayre before that. I personally can't name any, but I know at least one Publix in a former Albertsons, and very close to it I know of a former Eckerd that now is a CVS. Also in that region of Florida I know of a former Mobil that later was an Amoco but with the BP sunburst logo combined with the lowercase Amoco script on its street sign. Not sure but I'm assuming this station is almost certainly a BP today if it is still a gas station at all, but I could be completely wrong.

Stork of The Weak

The Big Lots in Cleona PA is actually NOT the former Ames in Cleona. Instead the Ames (which was both King's and Zayre in a past life) was demolished for the current Giant next to the Big Lots. The current building where Big Lots is once was an IGA store that opened in the late 80's but closed very soon afterward. But the Giant could easily be mistaken for an 80's Giant and the Big Lots could be mistaken for a 60's/70's IGA that became Big Lots in the 80's...

jamesway_95

I noticed that the former location in Paulsboro, New Jersey isn't on the store locator:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/62355920@N00/6356682287/in/photolist-aFJ6Xp-aFHEbt-aFH2kZ-dcKm6j

Not only is this a former Ames, Kmart AND Grant City...it's been abandoned since the early 90s! There's also an abandoned Acme supermarket at the other end of the shopping center, which the Acme Style Blog has photos of. It's also been abandoned since the early 90s, and the windows are uncovered; so you can see the old-school decor inside! On top of all that, there's an abandoned Fotomat in the parking lot!

Caldor1999

came across this im assuming its fake?
http://amesdepartmentstores.com/
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

also this was interesting dont know what location it was recorded in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkWvNs0sPLA
Caldor Forever!

BillyGr

Quote from: Caldor1999 on November 03, 2015, 01:04:34 AM

Kind of looks like someone is using it as a site similar to a Big Lots with miscellaneous items from other stores.  Perhaps they figured the name would help people spot it?

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: BillyGr on November 03, 2015, 12:46:14 PM

Kind of looks like someone is using it as a site similar to a Big Lots with miscellaneous items from other stores.  Perhaps they figured the name would help people spot it?

That's the most mediocre use of the Ames name on the World Wide Web, plus the site sells a bunch of low-quality junk. The real Ames (or what is left of it) would not approve.

TheFugitive

Quote from: ShopKoFan on November 05, 2015, 07:16:22 PM
Quote from: BillyGr on November 03, 2015, 12:46:14 PM

That's the most mediocre use of the Ames name on the World Wide Web, plus the site sells a bunch of low-quality junk. The real Ames (or what is left of it) would not approve.

I dunno.  I spent five years as an Ames manager and we stocked our share of low-quality junk.

Kmart4life

This is the information I found under the Contact Us Icon!
AMES Department Store
117 West Main
Sedan, Kansas 67361
United States
Customer Service

Customer Orders
If you have a customer service issue please email customerservice@amesdepartmentstores.com

retailfan

its still up as of january 2015

TheFugitive

Sedan, Kansas.   Population 1,124.

SAAAAA-LUUUUUTE!!!    ;D

Chuck E. Cheese

*Bump*
Fake Ames Big Lots-Like site still up as of 2016. Do we know of any company that owns Ames, or someone that speculativley owns the copyright? They must be the one who keeps the Phone Line up, which is still active as of late 2015. I'll have to retry it, i'm in CT so it's local. Any significant people hat we know are still out there? Administrations on this board even?

retailfan

I registered on there sight it sent me a email welcoming me . i have not ordered anything but they use Paypal  for payments. my guess is they bought the name and trademark from the courts  just as Circuit city sold there name and are about to return this spring  although a much smaller footprint.