Main Menu

Ames

Started by amesman, January 05, 2005, 01:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zayre88

Nice pics!!! but they are too large

I passed by that Ames back in 2003 but i was not quick enough to take pictures of it.  I do remember how the "Northway" lettering looked like.  Exactly like the one at the Northway Mall in Albany featured at Deadmalls.

Jag67

I love bahaus-type lettering on signs. It's sooo 70's. You guys are lucky you still have your former Ames. Mine (which was built in 1966 and was once a Hills) was demolished about a month ago. Long live the Clarence Mall Ames!! (RIP 1966-2005)

amesman

Oh, they demolished it? Was that the one on Transit Road? I wanted pictures of that when I was there in 2003...but we didn't have time..

Also, the Northway Mall sign in Albany is still there. The Lechmere logo was taken out of the sign though..

Jag67

Yep, that was the one.:(

DutchessMallMan

Hey Everyone! I just thought of something about Ames that you may not be aware of. If there is anyone who is a member to our club/forum from the Dutchess County area of New York's Hudson Valley you may know what I am about to talk about. On Route 52 in Fishkill next to  (the now closed)Grand Union plaza there was a Ames Shopping Center, with a Carvel Ice Cream Shop, Sears Repair Center, and tons of other little shops that are now closed. Carvel and the Sears are still at the location. The store closed around 1995. I am not positive on the date becuase I was pritty young, I can't remember as well as other stores, but im sure it was no later that 1995. The store was a one of a kind Ames museum. As a kid, I had some of the best memories of family gatherings and my coolest toys there. This Ames was the only store I ever saw that had a tire shop at that time, or as China*Mart calls it, a TLE (Tire, Loob and Exspress). I believe Ames actually owned the TLE. After the store closed, it sat empty until 3 months later a China*Mart Supercenter was built just down the road. This Ames store was one of 15 or so, stores that were overlapping other (stores that were performing well). These 15 stores were underperformers. I think, that the Fishkill store, was the best Ames store out of the entire New York division. I still can remember the last time I was in the store and every memory in detail. I can vividly remember the unique Ames signs "We are not going out of Business, This location is closing 4 out of 15". The main reason why they closed this store, was because they new China*Mart was moving next door. The store sat unlit, but in tack and untouched with the surrounding residential areas forced to look at a closed ghost store of a very alive Ames Corperation at that time. I believe the store opened in the early 1970's before the Dutchess Mall even opened. It was remodeled in the late 1980's. You could even look inside through the windows until the last few months before its destruction, then the windows were boarded up. Then just recently in 2004 well after the corperation closed, developers remodeled the property and subdivided the stores and the old Ames TLE. The only two original store fronts (even though extiriorly remodeled) that have survived the enemy of time is good old Sears and Carvel. I believe I have many family photos at my friends house when I was a child, who lived two houses down from Ames. I must have a photo open of the store somewhere. If I have one I will find it! I miss the days of going to that old Ames, once it left then it was like dominos, there goes Jamesway, Caldor, Service Merchandise, Mays, Bradlees, Wards, etc... Gone Out of Business... Long live AMES! Bargains by the Bag-Full!

DutchessMallMan

I hope i'll find bargans by the bagfull. :) I am going to go through the thousands of my old pictures to try to see if I can find a pic of the old fishkill store. The picture above is NOT the store but a look-alike that looks alot similar to it. I found the picture on Yahoo, public pictures by typing in Ames. Well, the search continues... and hopefully I can dig up some more artifacts for all of us to share and enjoy. Be well my friends! :bounce:

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
Oh, they demolished it? Was that the one on Transit Road? I wanted pictures of that when I was there in 2003...but we didn't have time..

Also, the Northway Mall sign in Albany is still there. The Lechmere logo was taken out of the sign though..

the northway mall is still there. I was in albany 3 weeks ago and the bj's is still on the sign and petco is too.

amesman

The Northway Mall is still there, but it is not a mall anymore. It is now a big box center with Target, etc. The old Lechmere, BJ's, Staples, Davids Bridal, and Cinemas are all thats left of the original mall. The rest is all new contruction.

Jag67

Is lechmere still vacant? That store's been closed since like 1996.  Heck, the whole chain's been gone for about 8 years!

amesman

yep, thre Lechmere is still vacant. I have pics of it in the Lechmere thread. The only difference is, that now, the logos are gone..

d_fife

yep, thre Lechmere is still vacant. I have pics of it in the Lechmere thread. The only difference is, that now, the logos are gone..

I saw the lechmere vacant. the lettering was gone and the labelscar only showed and grass was shown grown in the parking lot.

back to the Ames topic, The ames in northway plaza in conway is still vacant. I wonder what it will become.

d_fife

This Ames was in Ticordongoa New york, closed in one of the closigns in the 2nd bankrupocy, was 32,000 square feet. and a wal-mart superstore was across. Some ames next to the wal-mart (queensbuery new york, Brunswick maine) made it. Those ones were bigger. Ames that small (in the 300000s) of square feet were too small to carry crafts. The ones in Tilton NH and Walpole NH were that Size and so was champlain new york, The ames is the building on the west in the black.

d_fife

this is some random ames

Caldor1999

hey i went to see my loco ames in carmel NY its still there hannaford has nnot torn it down yet i took some great pics
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

the insdie is beeing gutted
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

theyhad rest rooms too
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

hears the old auto center used by ames
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

the back wasd kida messed up i had no luck of seeing a recving sign though
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

and one finaly goodby pic
Caldor Forever!

store215

Former Ames store in Millersburg, PA, obviously taken when the store was still open.

From www.weisproject.com

d_fife

Here's another pic of the Plattsburgh, NY Champlan Centre Ames.

The plattsburgh newspaper said this store is to be torn down to rebuilt into a 126,000 retail space. Speculation is that it will be Target, but it has not been confirmed. I WILL NOT BE SURPRISED IF THIS BECOMES TARGET.

The 80,000 square foot Ames (TAHT WAS ONCE HILLS AND THE ONLY HILLS IN NEW ENGLAND) in Lanesboro mass, just outside Pittsfield, in the berkshire mall is being rebuilt into a 126,000 square foot Target that will open in March 2006.

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

Look at this! They did a test for firefighters on what to do during building collapse on this former Ames! > The Article.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
Look at this! They did a test for firefighters on what to do during building collapse on this former Ames! > The Article.

lol thats horrble to use a old store like that for a fire test:mad:
Caldor Forever!

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy

lol thats horrble to use a old store like that for a fire test:mad:

Well yeah, but on the other hand we want trained firemen.

Crawford

Just a quick note. The Ames building on Silver Spring Street was demolished and a Wal Mart is being built there. Also, just a correction. The Ames in South Attleboro Mass is where Burlington Coat Factory is now not the T J Maxx. The Ames was a former Zayre and during the 80's there was a riot there for Cabbage Patch Kids.
Also in 1984 an Ames was opened on Newport Ave in East Providence RI, it closed around 1989-1990 was vacant for a number of years and is now split amongst an A J Wright, a Chinese food restaurant and a Hancock Fabrics. This was an original Ames and not a conversion. I used to buy my Nintendo games there as well as Transformers.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor