Demolished Kmart in Manchester

Started by JJBers, November 12, 2017, 01:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJBers

This Kmart located on Silver Lane in Manchester, Connecticut was closed in the first bankruptcy in 2003, and was demolished for a new Walmart in 2012. Of a course, Walmart decided to instead expand its preexisting location in Buckland Hills, and left this lot abandoned for now.
Photos
(Also, if you look closely at the sign photos, you can see the paint chipping just ever so slightly to reveal the Big Kmart logo once again)
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

TheFugitive

I just drove by the former site of the Super Kmart in Robinson Township, near Pittsburgh International Airport.
It sat high on a hill and was easily visible as you went to and from the airport.

It closed and was demolished when Chevron expressed interest in the property for a site to build their
shale fracking headquarters.  When Tom Wolf got elected Governor of Pennsylvania and was threatening
to tax shale production so they put their plans on-hold.  Then the price of natural gas plummeted, and they
are still on-hold.  The site is vacant (except for an Outback Steakhouse which is still somehow managing
to stumble along in the parking lot of a demolished Kmart).

JimSawhill

Quote from: JJBers on November 12, 2017, 01:30:45 AM
This Kmart located on Silver Lane in Manchester, Connecticut was closed in the first bankruptcy in 2003, and was demolished for a new Walmart in 2012. Of a course, Walmart decided to instead expand its preexisting location in Buckland Hills, and left this lot abandoned for now.
Photos
(Also, if you look closely at the sign photos, you can see the paint chipping just ever so slightly to reveal the Big Kmart logo once again)

When that KMart was under construction (in 1967 or 1968), my friends and I drove through the KMart on our dirt bikes. Only the walls were up no doors or Windows....