Wegmans

Started by amesman, May 01, 2005, 11:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amesman

Wegmans is a chain of supermarkets in Western, and Central New York, as well as other Northeast states. Discuss about them here.

jmn3

I don't even know what to say...Wegmans is the best supermarket on the planet!  I can not find any store that does it better than the Wegman family.  Family owned and operated out of Rochester, NY...the stores, the food, the employees...they are just all great.  I used to work for Tops but I do my shopping at Wegmans these days.

Jag67

Love Wegmans..frendliest employees ever...Love their logo and stores too..:dizzy:

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by Jag67
Love Wegmans..frendliest employees ever...Love their logo and stores too..:dizzy:

well post the logo duh!:duh:

amesman

It glows orange on the stores at night..heh

storehistoryguy

Here in Pa., we don't have Wegmans, but we do have Wegman's bottled water a Dollar Land. :insane: Really! Heres another Wegmans sign.

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
Here in Pa., we don't have Wegmans, but we do have Wegman's bottled water a Dollar Land. :insane: Really! Heres another Wegmans sign.

We will hav a Wegman's next year (or towards the end of this year) in Warrington...their prices look expensive though so I probably won't be shoping there too often.

BillyGr

There are several in PA - maybe just not where you are.

I saw them in Erie, Williamsport, Wilkes Barre and Scranton - and their website probably lists others.

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321

We will hav a Wegman's next year (or towards the end of this year) in Warrington...their prices look expensive though so I probably won't be shoping there too often.

Warrington Pa.? In that new shopping center? That might be good to have a new super market chain here, but I am against that new shopping center.

store215

Warrington Pa.? In that new shopping center? That might be good to have a new super market chain here, but I am against that new shopping center.

Yes, the new shopping center. Along with another STAPLES:mad: (I wonder if the Warminster location will close), a Sports Authority, Circuit City (signage was up for CC a few days ago on the entrance sign), Michaels, and I think a Borders, and more "theme restaurants":mad:

storehistoryguy

Yes, the new shopping center. Along with another STAPLES:mad: (I wonder if the Warminster location will close), a Sports Authority, Circuit City (signage was up for CC a few days ago on the entrance sign), Michaels, and I think a Borders, and more "theme restaurants":mad:

They bought off at least 8 houses along with the abandon Exxon, The Generations Restuarant and Motel and a farm to build this center. They have that other one that I am still upset they built across the street, the one thats on the old Warrington Drive-In with the Target and all. I am planning on moving out of Warminster and moving back where I grew up in Ambler Pa. because this is rediculous with all this building and the billboard everywhere. I'm serious. I'm moving into my grandparents house when they move out next year.

store215

They bought off at least 8 houses along with the abandon Exxon, The Generations Restuarant and Motel and a farm to build this center. They have that other one that I am still upset they built across the street, the one thats on the old Warrington Drive-In with the Target and all. I am planning on moving out of Warminster and moving back where I grew up in Ambler Pa. because this is rediculous with all this building and the billboard everywhere. I'm serious. I'm moving into my grandparents house when they move out next year.

That sounds nice. It is amazing. When I moved to the area 10 years ago, there were few housing developments (my house was brand new at the time), and I had to drive to Warminster or Warrington to get to the nearest grocery store. Kmart, Caldor, and Clover were the only "big box" stores around.
 Now we have big box hardware stores, walgreens here and there (and they want to put another Walgreens in Jamison next to the Genuardi's--very odd as they usually only build on corner lots), car washes, Dunkin Donuts everywhere (at least 3), and a whole bunch of other crap.

The whole Warrington/Jamison/Warminster area is becoming very ugly. Every plot of land has been bought up causing horrible amounts of traffic. Overcrowding schools everywhere, and even when new ones are built, they are already being overfilled. If I could move, I would in an instant.

storehistoryguy

That sounds nice. It is amazing. When I moved to the area 10 years ago, there were few housing developments (my house was brand new at the time), and I had to drive to Warminster or Warrington to get to the nearest grocery store. Kmart, Caldor, and Clover were the only "big box" stores around.
 Now we have big box hardware stores, walgreens here and there (and they want to put another Walgreens in Jamison next to the Genuardi's--very odd as they usually only build on corner lots), car washes, Dunkin Donuts everywhere (at least 3), and a whole bunch of other crap.

The whole Warrington/Jamison/Warminster area is becoming very ugly. Every plot of land has been bought up causing horrible amounts of traffic. Overcrowding schools everywhere, and even when new ones are built, they are already being overfilled. If I could move, I would in an instant.

Where do you live in Warminster? Your house is only ten years old you said. I moved to Warminster in 1999, but I was already very fimular with the area but a still regrete moving out of Montgomery County. I just really like my house (built in 1957). I'm going to be renting out my house after I move out later on this year.

store215

Where do you live in Warminster? Your house is only ten years old you said. I moved to Warminster in 1999, but I was already very fimular with the area but a still regrete moving out of Montgomery County. I just really like my house (built in 1957). I'm going to be renting out my house after I move out later on this year.

i actually live in jamison

storehistoryguy

i actually live in jamison

I find Jamison to be a blan town, no effence. Not much there. Anyway, I passed by that shopping center and they had only announced the Staples. I'm not 100% sure about this but I think this Staples is accially the one up in Warminster and its moving down there.

storehistoryguy

Wegmans ranks #1 on FORTUNE Magazine's List of 100 "Best Companies to Work For"

Rochester, NY ? For the eighth consecutive year, Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. is on FORTUNE magazine's list of the ?100 Best Companies to Work For,? this year ranking at the very top.   FORTUNE has also named Wegmans to its Hall of Fame, as one of 22 companies who have been on the list since its inception.

Robert Wegman, chairman of the supermarket chain started by his father and uncle in 1916, said of the recognition:  ?This is the culmination of my whole life?s work.  When I became president of our company in 1950, after working in our stores for a number of years, I was determined to make it a great place to work.?   His first step was to raise all salaries, and within a couple of years, he implemented fully paid health care.  Later, the company added a defined contribution retirement plan, a 401K plan and an employee scholarship program, which has given nearly $54 million in tuition assistance to 17,000 employees since it began in 1984.  

?No matter how much we invest in our people, we get much more in return,? said Wegman.  ?When I visit our stores, customers stop me and say, ?Mr. Wegman you have a great store, but wow, your people are wonderful.?

Robert Wegman was named chairman in 1969, and in 1976 his son, Danny, was named president.  Danny?s daughters have also joined the company:  Colleen Wegman as senior vice president of merchandising and Nicole Wegman as produce group manager.  ?We have tried to create an environment where our people?s ideas are listened to,? said Danny Wegman, ?and where they feel empowered to make decisions that impact their work.?

At 11 a.m. EST, Robert and Danny Wegman will hold a news conference at the company?s corporate office located at 100 Market Street in Rochester, New York.   The news conference will also be available via satellite at 2 p.m. EST (see details below).

To celebrate their #1 ranking on FORTUNE?s list, Wegmans stores will serve cake to customers and employees on Saturday, January 22, at a time to be determined by each store.  Media interested in photographing the January 22 event should contact Wegmans for the specific time at each store.

A video news release will be available via satellite on Monday, January 10, 2005:  14:00 to 15:00 Eastern Standard Time; SBS6; 74 degrees west; Transponder K02; DL:  11749.5 Vertical; Standard audio is 6.2 and 6.8.Total run time:  30 minutes  - The VNR will be broadcast twice.For technical questions or problems, call WXXI teleport trouble at 585-258-0355.

Wegmans Food Markets, Inc. is a 68-store supermarket chain with stores in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Virginia. The family-owned company, founded in 1916, is recognized as an industry leader and innovator. Wegmans has been named one of the 'Top 100 Companies to Work For' by Fortune Magazine for the last several years. In 2005, Wegmans ranked #1 on the list.

amesman

Here's the Wegmans in Liverpool, New York.

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman

Nice. :yup:

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman

cool pic it kida looks like a old grand union
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

storehistoryguy

Whats Grand Union? I never heard of them.

amesman

go to the Grand Union thread in the Grocery/Supermarkets thread :) You'll see...hehe

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

Heres an older Wegmans.

storehistoryguy

Inside a Wegmans Market.

storehistoryguy

Another big Wegmans Market. Are they known to be big? :huh:

BillyGr

Another big Wegmans Market. Are they known to be big?

It seems that the newer stores are - as most chains have been doing lately.  

On the other hand, this may also be the area(s) they are opening in - for example they have opened only about 5 stores in NJ and most are in higher income areas so the stores are bigger to include lots of extras (like a full eating area - lots of prepared foods, cookware section, big floral section, large natural foods section etc.) that other areas might not need/want.

store215

I believe their newest stores average 150,000 sq. feet...which is estimated to be only a little smaller than a Kmart/Walmart/Target store.

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr
Another big Wegmans Market. Are they known to be big?

It seems that the newer stores are - as most chains have been doing lately.  

Other supermarkets have also been getting bigger to which is rediculous, but these Wegmans look like they took over a Wal-Mart.

jmn3

They've been opening big stores in Buffalo and Rochester (their hometown) for about 7 or 8 years.  I believe the first of the huge stores was opened in '98 when they replaced the Alberta Drive store with a new super sized location across the parking lot.  It had well over 30 cash registers when it first opened, 20+ aisles, a full dining area on the second level, day care facilities, etc, etc...  

That worked, sales increased, and the public loved it...so since then, they've been replacing old stores or opening new ones with most of these features and in many cases, similar large amounts of square footage.  I think, at least in Buffalo, that the largest stores are around 110,000 SF...maybe they are opening up larger stores down in VA or NJ...but up here they are mostly around that size.

amesman

Price Chopper stores are getting bigger too. Also, when the Onieda Tops becomes Price Chopper, the older Price Chopper across the street, will become Wegmans.