Main Menu

JC Penney

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmn3

I doubt you'll see JCP close any of the four Buffalo stores.  Since AM&A's turned into Bon-Ton, Penney's has become the #1 dept. store locally and unless the demographics of WNY change...they will remain on top.  A mid-level market like Buffalo is perfect for Penney's.  Besides, of all the stores, those four are always busy and seem to do a good level of business.  

I'd be more concerned about the impending takeover of May Department Stores by Federated.  With four Kaufmann's, one Kaufmann's home store, one Kaufmann's Men's Store, and a Lord & Taylor in Buffalo...I would not be shocked to see Federated pair down some of these locations.  For one, Eastern Hills and McKinley are relatively small.  McKinley has the separate home store and the nearest Kaufmann's going south of Buffalo wouldn't be until Erie, PA.  But Eastern Hills is a very old and outdated location.  On  the other hand, it's closes to the most affluent suburbs.  A major renovation and it could be a goldmine for Macy's or *gasp* Bloomingdale's.

Jag67

You bet the eastern hills location is outdated!!! Very dark upstairs, too..:o

Jag67

hey, here's one more pic of the very dated eastern hills store.

Caldor1999

hears the JC Penny in the Palisades Mall this is New Yorks Largest Mall and the 3rd Largest in the World
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

amesman

No, actually, that's the biggest mall in New York, floor wise. Crossgates Mall in Albany is the biggest mall, square footage wise. And square footage is more important then the amount of floors :)

Caldor1999

old JC Penny logo when it was Called pennys why did thye name change:question:
Caldor Forever!

amesman

The name changed because the company's founder was named James Cash Penney, and they actually had his first two initials in the name when it started, but, they removed them in the 60's(hence the "Penney's"), but now, they have been put back in.

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
The name changed because the company's founder was named James Cash Penney, and they actually had his first two initials in the name when it started, but, they removed them in the 60's(hence the "Penney's"), but now, they have been put back in.

OK now thats crazy:duh:

first they take out the JC then realize wait his first two intials were JC duh!:duh: and then put them back in why did they take out the  JC in the first place?:duh:

WHY DON'T THEY JUST CALL IT JCPenney's DUH!:duh::duh::duh::duh::duh:

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB

OK now thats crazy:duh:

first they take out the JC then realize wait his first two intials were JC duh!:duh: and then put them back in why did they take out the  JC in the first place?:duh:

WHY DON'T THEY JUST CALL IT JCPenney's DUH!:duh::duh::duh::duh::duh:

introducing................................. my idea for JCPenney's new logo!

amesman

It's called trying out new ideas man. They realized it didn't work, so they went back to the original way. :) No big deal..heh

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
old JC Penny logo when it was Called pennys why did thye name change:question:

dang that sign's so small in that pic  you could hardly see it never mind read it!:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

It's called trying out new ideas man. They realized it didn't work, so they went back to the original way. :) No big deal..heh

I'm saying it was kinda silly lol:insane:

Caldor1999

yep i do like JC Penny better then Pennys Penneys makes JC Penny sound cheep lol
Caldor Forever!

jmn3

See, and I think calling it "JCPenney's" sounds much cheaper than "Penney's."  In fact, now that I think about it, I always call it Penney's.  Locally, most of our JCP's had that 1960's logo for a LOOONNNG time, until the 90's...so plenty of people in WNY refer to the chain without the JC.  

What's most surprising is that they have had virtually the same logo since 1972 when they went to JCPenney.  I can't believe that in over 30 years, aside from the thickness of the lettering, that logo has remained intact.

Also, most of the pre-60's stores were labeled "J. C. Penney Co." or something to that effect, then it was "Penney's" with that stylish 1960's "P," and then "JCPenney."

Caldor1999

but Pennys sounds like a Feal market or some sotta cheep discounst store the JC Helps it out in a way i like the JC Penny better then Pennys cause what can u get there for a penny:huh:lol
Caldor Forever!

Jag67

I like "Penneys" much better than "JCPenney". If you read my posts, I almost always say "Penneys". Everyone in my family refers to them as that too.

Caldor1999

lol i still stand by what i say im calling them JC Penny or JC Penny DOING IT RIGHT thats what made them famouse in the 1990's and helped them in thaT TIMe BUT LIKE I SED JC PENNY IS NOT DOING IT RIGHT LOL:insane:
Caldor Forever!

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by jmn3
See, and I think calling it "JCPenney's" sounds much cheaper than "Penney's."  In fact, now that I think about it, I always call it Penney's.  Locally, most of our JCP's had that 1960's logo for a LOOONNNG time, until the 90's...so plenty of people in WNY refer to the chain without the JC.  

What's most surprising is that they have had virtually the same logo since 1972 when they went to JCPenney.  I can't believe that in over 30 years, aside from the thickness of the lettering, that logo has remained intact.

Also, most of the pre-60's stores were labeled "J. C. Penney Co." or something to that effect, then it was "Penney's" with that stylish 1960's "P," and then "JCPenney."

Well I decided to call it JCPenney's because some people call it Penny's and others call it JCPenny well I decided why don't we call it "J-C Penney's" that way the people who wan't to call it Penny's can call it that way anothers want it to be called JCPenney can also call it that way and combining "JC" of the current name with "Penney's" of the past name we get both names with "JCPenney's"and also seems to make a new name to possibly revamp their image to a better department store

In a way I liked the name "Penney's" (especially that cool looking "P" in the logo lol  :insane: )but want also the JC with the name because people are familiar with the "JC" in JCPenney
so basically I wanted the name to capture more attention so basically I just added " 's" to the name no big change it still keeps the familar name just with an " 's" at the end.

In a way besides using correct grammar to show that JCPenny own the store by saying it's "JCPenney's" store it also gives a compromise between the people who want to call it "Penney's" and the others who want to call it "JCPenney" by combining both names making a new name "JCPenney's"   :cool:

jmn3

Heh...I always associate "Doing it (with the crooked it) Right" with Penney's, or JCPenney, decline during the 1990's.  I remember them being a much better department store chain overall back in the 1980's when the slogan was "You're looking smarter than ever, at JCPenney!"

To me, they cheapened their entire business during the 90's...the stores were cluttered and the selection wasn't that hot.  In the last five years however, I think they've found their way back.  Of course, don't get me going on the "centralized" cash registers.  I absolutely HATE those things!

Jag...maybe it's a Buffalo thing with the name.  It seems a LOT of people around here call it Penney's.  Of course, it's not uncommon for people around here to shop at Penney's, Hengerer's (not Kaufmann's), bank at Marine Midland (not HSBC)...and watch hockey at the Aud (not Marine Midland Arena OR HSBC Arena)...people around here are very reluctant to go by changed names.

And then there's the fact that the 60's logo was up on the stores for a long time.  It's within the last 10-12 years or so that all of the stores signage was replaced with the JCPenney logo.  Boulevard, Eastern Hills, Seneca, and Thruway all used to have the old logo.

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

BTW for all you posting out there the "Penney" in JC Penney is spelled P-E-N-N-E-Y NOT P-E-N-N-Y

its "JCPenney"

NOT "JCPenny"

just thought I'd make it clear on how to spell it so we don't get confused by spelling mistakes;)

tokensafari

Penney's Seems to have found a nitch. If you notice they have a lot of sales going on. Like 50% off kind of deals. They've taken a Kohl's approach to things, while at the same time maintained an expensive section, if you will,  within their stores. It's worked very well around here so far!

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

okay how about ths for a new logo?:bouncing::bounce:

tokensafari

It's stupid for a store to really go through the expense of a logo change. I mean, unless it's so outdated that you have hard cold facts that you're losing customers over it. It's not necessary. It's just too costly in todays market for a company to change its image and logo. Why do that, when you can take that money and place it in remodeling or research and development? It's crazy! But Ames grasped that concept very well, as well as Hills!

truviking05

Heh--I never knew the store was called JCPenney until I could read the two initials in front of Penney's rather than just ignore them and read the sign as "Penney's". My family is from the north, too and we all call it Penney's, even me (who never lived up North lol).

Jag67

So jmn3, you're saying there were still stores with the old 60's JCP logo up untill about 1994-95? WOW. Actually, I can expect that from Penneys, as most of their stores are terribly old and outdated (Eastern Hills). The "new"logo hasbeen around at least since 1979, because the Dixie Square Penneys had the "new" logo for a while, and that place closed in 1979. It's very obvious the Boulevard JCP had the old logo, because the "new" one doesn't really fit.

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by tokensafari
It's stupid for a store to really go through the expense of a logo change. I mean, unless it's so outdated that you have hard cold facts that you're losing customers over it. It's not necessary. It's just too costly in todays market for a company to change its image and logo. Why do that, when you can take that money and place it in remodeling or research and development? It's crazy! But Ames grasped that concept very well, as well as Hills!

Hey hey!

I'm just throwing around ideas thats all
just making something different eyecatching etc.;)

JCPenney doesn't NEED to change their logo it justs seems to me that the logo has very little stuff in it aka boring

Besides maybe JCPenney needs something added to their name to sound classy I mean I don't mean to be "sexist" here but to me JCPenney the actual store itself seems to feel like  too much of a women's clothing store  rather than a department store which is the type of store I get bored in alot lol:insane: if JCPenney IS a "department" store then it should feel like one the only parts in the JCPenney store that make it feel like a department store are the brightly lighted rooms with the jewelery cases that also house  perfume and the parts with the furniture and home goods stuff  everything else is like Caldor1999 said before is "clothes,clothes,clothes" sigh:no:

Anyway how about this for a name?:mrpink: "JCPenney  
Department and Apparel":cool:

and new slogan "its all inside JCPenney, classy but affordable style":bigsmile::bigsmile:

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by tokensafari
Penney's Seems to have found a nitch. If you notice they have a lot of sales going on. Like 50% off kind of deals. They've taken a Kohl's approach to things, while at the same time maintained an expensive section, if you will,  within their stores. It's worked very well around here so far!

don't forget JCPenney's sales and clearances where you get free chocolate and the wrapper that the chocolate was in has a coupon!:bouncing: lol:insane:

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

The following pics are from JCPenney's offical website from its history section

first pic JCPenney's first logo :bigsmile:

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

Next the cool looking "Penney's" logo from 1965-1971:bounce:

first one pic of logo on building