Value City

Started by NJF, February 06, 2005, 10:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

videogamer75

Oh, sorry, made a mistake. I know which plaza you're talking about

Mobil

This is the former Value City at Tri-State Mall at the PA-DE border. The store was originally a "Wilmington Dry Goods", became a Value City in the 80's, and recently became a Burlington Coat Factory.

Mobil

UPDATE: I found out today the Value City in Springfield IS closing.

dmx10101

Value City files for bankruptcy

COLUMBUS , Ohio (Oct. 27) Value City Department Stores has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

According to court filings, the retailer said a drop in consumer spending and tightening credit markets have hurt profitability. Value City listed assets and liabilities of between $100 million and $500 million in its filing.

As of Oct. 15, the company employed about 4,500 people and operated 66 stores.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

store215

^
They are closing all their locations :( More empty spaces...

XDeSuEhTX

Might as well add this to the closed chains forum.

Discuss.
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

XDeSuEhTX

Here are some photos I snapped of our vacant Value City as of Feb, 2009. Still untouched. Was a Heck's until 1990 I believe.

Empty...

Another.

It looks like there are actually people there in this one, but they're all at Save A Lot.
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

XDeSuEhTX

I never really saw this one coming. Value City is gone? Really? Seems crazy, people around here seemed to love it.

Ameskid

Former Value City in Latonia/Covington, KY. Photo courtesy of the Kenton County Public Library.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Value City Furniture may have used at least part of the store.  The two chains are/were related in name only.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

TheFugitive

The former Value City store in Pleasant Hills, PA.  This store was originally a Gold Circle location.

The parking lot is full due to the adjoining business, Duffy's Beer and Pop.  Just about the cheapest
place one can buy beer around here given Pennsylvania's arcane liquor laws.

MikeRa

Quote from: Mobil on September 30, 2008, 09:44:55 PM
My Value City is a former Korvettes, built in 1957. The store was announced to be closing but mission aborted.  :holysh::huh: Makes me glad because I live right near it, and I have even had nightmares twice about the eyesore it could become. The Value City at Tri-State Mall in Claymont, Delaware (on I-95 at the PA-DE border) closed recently and became a Burlington Coat Factory. The store was originally "Wilmington Dry Goods", which I think was not related to Associated Dry Goods (ADG). The mall opened in 1967 and that store closed in 1989 or 1990. Another Value City just closed at Cumberland Mall in Vineland, NJ.
I would assume it would be the Springfield, PA (Delaware County) Korvettes/Value City, which is now a GIANT [PA] Food & Drugstore
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

TheFugitive

The Value City Shopping Center in Pleasant Hills, PA is undergoing a major renovation.
Levin Furniture has just moved into the former Value City store.

This is a current picture of the exact same site shown in my earlier post.

DefunctStoreKing

did VCDS hve a toy dept.
Erik "Taz" Mokracek

http://tazsnewforums.proboards37.com/index.cgi
Everyone Can Join My Message Board

Defunct Store Yahoogroup Maker Since 2007

Randy Amasia (October 9, 1957-December 12, 2001)

David Zinkin (November 19, 1970-August 13, 2008)

http://classix.110mb.com
My Webpage