Bonanza / Ponderosa

Started by Zayre88, April 02, 2005, 10:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

here is the bonanza in presque isle maine on rt. 1

Zayre88

The former Bonanza in Brunswick ME... now Rentway!!  (note the flagpole still there today.  Many locations had one.)

Marc82

The Ponderossa on Queen Street in Southington is the only one left in the entire state of Connecticut. The one in New Britian on West Main Stree closed many many years ago and sat vacant for many years. A night club was supposed to open there, but that never happened. Then a crappy pizza house moved in. I don't even think they lasted a year. Today the site is home to New Britain Pediatrics Associates.

Zayre88

Bonanza in Sanford ME.  It has recent logos all over.  It appears to be doing good business in Sanford.  One of only two remaining locations in the state.

beachgal26

As far as I know, there have been no Ponderosas in the Memphis area and the nearest one that I know of is in Jackson, TN which is where our only Dunkin Donuts is located.  It is an interesting little area that seems to have the claim to fame that the infamous "Casey Jones" restaurant and museum are located there.

It makes a nice day trip as it is about 2 hours each way, but you've really want to go there now with gas being so expensive.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D  :insane::insane::insane::insane::insane:

d_fife

here is the ponderosa in amsterdam ny

d_fife

what looks like it was a ponderosa in manchester ct

d_fife

d_fife

Bonanza in Laconia NH

d_fife

bonanza in sanford me

d_fife

ponderosa in erie pa around the millcreek mall.

d_fife

ponderosa in ashtabula oh

Zayre88

Bonanza is now closed in Laconia NH.  It was a Lakes Region landmark since 1981 and the last one in NH.  It will become a T-Bone's Great American Eatery.

webcookie

There is a Ponderosa on Dolson Avenue in Middletown, NY and I think there is still one attached to the hotel on the hill behind the Citgo in Montague, NJ (address might be Port Jervis, NY).
Before there was Wal-Mart...
Caldor, Zayre, Woolworth, Bradlees, K-Mart, & Ames ruled the Earth.

david121

They built a new one in Watertown, and the old one is just standing there. The atmosphere is nice... but the food is awful.

Texas Road House is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better.

HoJofan206

Yet another Ponderosa seeing life as a Chineese eatery.

HoJofan206

Zayre88

Former Ponderosa in Portsmouth NH.

Zayre88

Former Bonanza on U.S. Route 1 in Portsmouth NH.

Zayre88

A former Ponderosa in Merrimack NH (north of Nashua).

wiseguy93

Does anybody have information about Bonanza & Ponderosa Steakhouses. They look a lot alike as far as their style of buildings. The menus and all are the same, are they owned by the same company. There is a Bonanza in Wise, Virginia has been here since about 1983, the other ones around have shut down like the one in Kingsport Tennessee & Bristol Tennesse.

Marc82

Both chains are owned by Metromedia Steakhouse Inc. This is the same Metromedia that owned WNEW-AM/FM/TV in NYC and a handful of other stations in the US during the 70s and early 80s.

http://www.metromediarestaurants.com/

Marc82

The last Ponderosa in Connecticut - 264 Queen Street Southington shut down for good last night. :(

Marc82

More more more. I just received word that not only did the one in Southington close, but all the remaining locations in Massachusetts closed as well.

Crawford

The one in Attleboro Mass is still open and doing a brisk business. I drove by there this afternoon. Maybe it is independently owned and wouldn't be affected by the closure. I'd have to take a ride up to Swansea and see if that one is still open.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

Marc82

Here's an article about the Southington closure. Note how the idiot president of the Chamber of Commerce blames the restaurant closing on them not being a member of the Chamber of Commerce.

http://www.zwire.com/site/index.cfm?newsid=20131060&BRD=1641&PAG=461&dept_id=594835&rfi=8

momof3

I Liked Ponderosa.

I just read the heralds article Marc linked, wonder what the other business mentioned at the end that was close to closing is??????Any guesses???

Zayre88

QuotePonderosa and Bonanza Steakhouse Chains File Chapter 11
Metromedia Puts Two More Restaurant Chains Into Bankruptcy

October 24, 2008

Metromedia Steakhouses Co., parent company of buffet restaurant chains Ponderosa Steakhouse and Bonanza Steakhouse, filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Plano, TX-based Metromedia said it would continue to operate as normal throughout the restructuring process, as it has already secured debtor-in-possession financing.

http://www.costar.com/News/Article.aspx?id=3979CDC8636C740BD50B9F8950565480

Zayre88

The original Ponderosa building design was Western Ranch-like (at left).

They later modified the front of these Ranches to make them more modern (at right).  They kept these old buildings but added sunroom extensions and/or new walls and roof/awnings with a side entrance.

RogerAnthony

There's a former Ponderosa next door to Wendy's on Prospect Avenue in Hartford that is now some other restaurant.  There's a former Bonanza on Albany Avenue in Bishops Corner in West Hartford.  It is now a McDonald's.