ALDI FOODS

Started by storehistoryguy, August 09, 2005, 11:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantsfan2016

Aldi in Southington opens Thursday October 5th. Got a coupon in the mail today $5 off $30.

Never heard of Aldi giving coupons.

MikeRa

Aldi USA now has a new logo
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

JJBers

Quote from: MikeRa on October 04, 2017, 08:27:05 PM
Aldi USA now has a new logo

That looks like a logo straight out of the 80's.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

giantsfan2016

Aldi in Southington, CT opened this morning. The owner of the TOPS IGA Marketplace on the other end of Southington is not happy about it.

FROM MYRECORDJOURNAL.COM

Aldi Supermarket opens this morning on Queen Street in Southington
October 5, 2017 03:32PM
By Jesse Buchanan, Record-Journal staff

SOUTHINGTON â€" More than 100 customers, some of whom lined up at 5 a.m., poured through the Aldi Supermarket doors after the Queen Street store’s grand opening Thursday.

The grocery store is the first of three businesses under construction on a property owned by local developer John Senese. Crowds waiting for the doors to open at 9 a.m. watched construction crews make progress on a Chick-fil-A building closer to Queen Street that’s slated to open in January. The steel frame for a Chipotle Mexican Grill is also up and the restaurant could open in the first quarter of next year.

More stores and restaurants are planned for a property also owned by Senese just south on Queen Street.

Thomas Carle, a Meriden resident, was first in line Thursday morning after he showed up at 5 a.m. He and others who were first in line received gift cards.

After an inaugural shopping trip for eggs, milk, bread and a few other items, Carle said the prices had won him over.

“I will be shopping at Aldi’s,” he said. “This is half what it would have cost me (at other stores).”

Kate Sirignano, Greater Southington Chamber of Commerce chairwoman, thanked Aldi for its investment in Southington. She said many residents had been eagerly anticipating the store.

“It’s such a wonderful addition to the town of Southington,” she said. “I know everybody has been waiting for Aldi for quite some time.”

She’s an Aldi shopper and is pleased with the prices, particularly on organic items that she says run much more in other stores.

Shoppers said the closest Aldi is in Bristol and were glad to have one closer. Several said Thursday that Aldi’s prices compared favorably to other supermarkets in town.

John Salerno, owner of Tops Marketplace in Plantsville, questioned whether the town needed another grocery store and listed five in town, in addition to Walmart and Target, which both carry food.

“We have so much here,” he said. “We don’t need it.”

Salerno said he stocks Tops with local food items such as honey, syrup and pasta made in town.

“You won’t see those products in any of those chains,” he said. “We’re a local business supporting other small local businesses.”

Nicole Shannon, Aldi district manager, said the company is always trying to add more products to its stores and that the Southington store will have new items and a strong selection of organic food.

jbuchanan@recordjournal.com 203-317-2230 Twitter: @JBuchananRJ

giantsfan2016

Here is the Southington, CT Aldi.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

ALDI Sud operates the little ALDI stores in our country, while ALDI Nord operates the Trader Joe's supermarkets.

ALDI has stores in Germany with two distinct logos, for north and south.

ALDI both founded by Theo and Karl Albrecht, they split the company in two after after a dispute about whether or not they should sell cigarettes.

ALDI is short for Albrecht Diskont.

MikeinBuffalo

The Aldi by me in the Transitown Plaza at Main and Transit in Clarence has just remodeled (think this was a Brand Names at one point), changing the outside of the store to look separate from the rest of the stores.

Such a weird plaza. Half the stores are obscured by the hulking TJ Maxx (Former Hens and Kelly, then LL Berger) building, and the rest are ultra niche stores (Custom window blinds? Ski shop? Chinese clothing and knick-knacks?).
Bed Bath and Beyond grunt.
N.Y. Ames Pilgrimages completed: Medina #69, Alden #78, Collins #79, Tonawanda #251, Blasdell #1066, South Cheektowaga #1077 (RIP), Cheektowaga/Depew #1079, Buffalo #1109, Buffalo #1206 (RIP)
Dead Retail of Buffalo on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/141912098@N03/albums

retailisking

BillyGr

Just noted in the local paper this past week that the Aldi in Greenport (Hudson) NY may move to a newly built building if the plans for that area are OK'd.
They'd be taking out a couple houses (plus using existing land where a cleaners had been many years ago, plus the current McDonald's property) to build a new McDonalds (the current one is the mansard style and has very little space such that the drive thru is the only thing on that side of the building) and the Aldi (which would replace one in a strip plaza that was once a portion of the space of an A&P, and is probably the oldest Aldi in this area, plus one of few not freestanding), plus a couple other small spaces would be available.

TheFugitive

The Aldi where I generally shop in Baldwin, PA is being expanded.

The place is open, but all torn-up as they are preparing to bump-out walls on
the side and in the front.  The manager told me they are planning to expand the
square footage and add "thousands of new products".

The store itself is less than ten years old.

TheFugitive

My local ALDI is re-opening today, about a week ahead of schedule.

This construction project was truly harrowing to behold.
They had walls partially torn-down, temporary fencing blocking off
large swaths of the parking lot, heavy equipment, piles of construction
materials, guys running around in hard-hats, welding torches....
all while the store TRIED TO REMAIN OPEN!

I refused to shop there while this was going on.  Just to watch the customers,
which included old ladies with walkers and people in wheelchairs, try to traverse
that parking lot was horrifying.

We had some heavy rains which flooded the adjoining street and closed down all
of the businesses.  Thankfully someone at Aldi made the decision just to remain
closed until the construction was finished.

TheFugitive

Shopped my local Aldi for the first time since the remodel.

Not a fan.  They painted the ceilings black and went with black fixtures.  The walls are also a darker color.  Overall they've made the store just too danged dark.

They added a significant amount of square footage but it's hard to see what they've done with it.  We were told they would add merchandise, but the counters pretty much fit the profile of the old store.  They just expanded the front end area, while inexplicably REDUCING the counter space available to bag your purchase.  Having been there on busy Saturdays I can tell you they'll regret that decision.

The prices are also noticeably higher.  I'm paying for this remodel, aren't I?
One good thing is they added a refrigerated area for some of the produce.
One of the major complaints people had against Aldi was certain produce items
having a very short shelf life after being displayed at room temperature.

Kmart4life

Here in Central Florida they are remodeling our stores to make them bigger. I can tell you that Aldi is a big hit here compared to Save A Lot, the two closest to me are packed daily and we may get a couple more stores in the area.

MikeRa

Aldi is building a brand new store in Bensalem at the Target/The Home Depot Shopping Center, located on Rockhill Drive, across from Neshaminy Mall

MikeRa

Quote from: MikeRa on September 18, 2018, 11:30:30 PM
Aldi is building a brand new store in Bensalem at the Target/The Home Depot Shopping Center, located on Rockhill Drive, across from Neshaminy Mall
This new Aldi (PA Store #14) opened 11/29/2018 at 620 Rockhill Drive

Retail Regents

Aldi is moving into the former Toys Я Us in Queensbury, NY. They will be occupying 25,000 sq. ft. of the building, with the remainder to be split for other tenants. It will replace their 20-something year old location on Quaker Rd.

Brammy

Aldi is opening this spring in a portion of the former Saver's in Meriden, Connecticut on the Chamberlain Highway in the plaza in front of Meriden Mall.
The Real Brammy

BillyGr

Quote from: BillyGr on March 12, 2018, 02:04:20 PMJust noted in the local paper this past week that the Aldi in Greenport (Hudson) NY may move to a newly built building if the plans for that area are OK'd.
They'd be taking out a couple houses (plus using existing land where a cleaners had been many years ago, plus the current McDonald's property) to build a new McDonalds (the current one is the mansard style and has very little space such that the drive thru is the only thing on that side of the building) and the Aldi (which would replace one in a strip plaza that was once a portion of the space of an A&P, and is probably the oldest Aldi in this area, plus one of few not freestanding), plus a couple other small spaces would be available.

And now that it is 4 years later, the new McDonalds on the site has been open for a few months and the Aldi building (as of December) had still not been started, but was OK'd, so maybe sometime in the decade they'll get that one done ;)

Retail Regents

Aldi is moving from Woodlawn Plaza in Schenectady down to the Five Corners in Rotterdam. The new store is set to open on September 15th, with the old one closing September 14th.

https://www.news10.com/news/schenectady-county/aldi-opening-rotterdam-store-relocated-from-schenectady/#:~:text=ROTTERDAM%2C%20N.Y.,September%2015%20at%209%20a.m.

BillyGr

Quote from: BillyGr on April 07, 2022, 03:13:29 PM
Quote from: BillyGr on March 12, 2018, 02:04:20 PMJust noted in the local paper this past week that the Aldi in Greenport (Hudson) NY may move to a newly built building if the plans for that area are OK'd.

And now that it is 4 years later, the new McDonalds on the site has been open for a few months and the Aldi building (as of December) had still not been started, but was OK'd, so maybe sometime in the decade they'll get that one done ;)

It got built fairly quickly, and has been open for a couple months now, replacing a store up the street in a plaza-surrounded old A&P location.

Retail Regents

UPDATE: Another outdated ALDI bit the dust. The Rotterdam store is now open. The shopping carts now use the ALDI "A" on the handle instead of the ALDI name.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

BillyGr

Quote from: Retail Regents on September 15, 2022, 03:04:03 PMUPDATE: Another outdated ALDI bit the dust. The Rotterdam store is now open. The shopping carts now use the ALDI "A" on the handle instead of the ALDI name.

And of course, in part of the story in the Times Union, they managed to add that another store had recently moved from Albany to Greenport (which is obviously wrong and senseless - as noted above that was the Greenport (Hudson) location moving a mile or so down the street!

Retail Regents

Quote from: BillyGr on September 16, 2022, 01:35:18 PM
Quote from: Retail Regents on September 15, 2022, 03:04:03 PMUPDATE: Another outdated ALDI bit the dust. The Rotterdam store is now open. The shopping carts now use the ALDI "A" on the handle instead of the ALDI name.

And of course, in part of the story in the Times Union, they managed to add that another store had recently moved from Albany to Greenport (which is obviously wrong and senseless - as noted above that was the Greenport (Hudson) location moving a mile or so down the street!

Journalistic standards seem to have been flushed down the toilet. They can't even catch basic spelling errors, so how can they even catch inaccurate research?! I'm pretty sure that ancient store in Rensselaer hasn't gone anywhere (or renovated for that matter, yet).

BillyGr

Quote from: Retail Regents on September 16, 2022, 06:34:18 PMJournalistic standards seem to have been flushed down the toilet. They can't even catch basic spelling errors, so how can they even catch inaccurate research?! I'm pretty sure that ancient store in Rensselaer hasn't gone anywhere (or renovated for that matter, yet).

It hasn't, but there was discussion in another story recently (about Chick Fil A opening out on Route 4) of a plan for a new Aldi store out there as well.

Didn't say, though, if it would replace the existing one or just be a new addition.  Either could work (simply since some in the city itself would not have an easy way to get to another store).

They are also in the process of adding one on Hoosick Street in Brunswick, pretty much across from a newly built (and opening shortly) Hannaford.  That area has only had one Market 32 and Walmart since GU left the area, save a couple tries at various discount stores further down the hill in the much older PC spot, in the same plaza as a former Ames, that never lasted very well.

MikeRa

Another new Aldi in the Philadelphia area

Retail Regents

Here is the Ballston Spa store after its remodel. The budget must be getting tighter for them if this is how they are doing it.

BillyGr

Quote from: BillyGr on September 17, 2022, 01:56:08 PM
Quote from: Retail Regents on September 16, 2022, 06:34:18 PMI'm pretty sure that ancient store in Rensselaer hasn't gone anywhere (or renovated for that matter, yet).

It hasn't, but there was discussion in another story recently (about Chick Fil A opening out on Route 4) of a plan for a new Aldi store out there as well.

Update - the new store opened on Route 4 over the summer, and the old one closed (much to the sadness of many who complained about the lack of stores now in the city, even though there are at least two grocery options not far out and accessible to anyone who could reach the former Aldi).

Retail Regents

Quote from: BillyGr on October 13, 2023, 07:42:38 PM
Quote from: BillyGr on September 17, 2022, 01:56:08 PM
Quote from: Retail Regents on September 16, 2022, 06:34:18 PMI'm pretty sure that ancient store in Rensselaer hasn't gone anywhere (or renovated for that matter, yet).

Update - the new store opened on Route 4 over the summer, and the old one closed (much to the sadness of many who complained about the lack of stores now in the city, even though there are at least two grocery options not far out and accessible to anyone who could reach the former Aldi).

I see. And it looks like they got those cheap-looking Technibilt (now Wanzl NA) carts just like they got in Rotterdam.