storehistoryguy

The discount supermarket. Discuss! http://aldi.us/

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

An Aldi Grand Opening! :roll:

storehistoryguy

Most older American Aldis have this flooring.

HoJofan206

Is Aldi's a national chain or more of a regional kinda thing?

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by HoJofan206
Is Aldi's a national chain or more of a regional kinda thing?

Aldi's locations are pretty scattered. I really don't know how many they have or what states they are in. They are a discount grocer sort of like "Sav-A-Lot", but from what I hear they sell much higher quality prodcuts. (They also sell a large selection of electronics from Germany--they are a german company). I believe you have to pay a quarter for a cart (get it back when its returned), you have to pay extra for bags or bring your own, and they only take Debit cards or cash. Most stuff they sell is their own private brands, but some things are name brand.

"In the U.S., ALDI Inc. operates over 700 stores in 26 states." <-From Aldi's website.
Aldi also owns Trader Joe's, which sells gormet/health foods, but at  Aldi-like prices. They have stores on both of the coast's.

HoJofan206

Sounds a lot like our Sav-A-Lots with the "bring your own bags or boxes policies....but it must be working if they have over 700 stores. :rolleyes:

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by HoJofan206
Sounds a lot like our Sav-A-Lots with the "bring your own bags or boxes policies....but it must be working if they have over 700 stores. :rolleyes:

Aldi is allllll over the world. You can bring you own boxes or bags but you can also buy plastic bags for 10 cents, paper bags for 5 cents or grab any empty box around the store. Then bag your own stuff at the bagging counter.

Caldor1999

nevr heard of them im only fimaler to Price Chopper Grand Union Waldbaums A&P Stop & Shop and Shop Rite
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

storehistoryguy

Aldi isn't like Shop Rite or Price Chopper. They are a discount supermarkets. They prices like 50 cents for canned goods. They also have items like Tvs and VCRs and microwaves and bike and computers, ect. that are cheaper brands like Crofton and Tevion.

tokensafari

I am familiar with Aldi's. We have one in Huntington. I personally don't like them. They are cheap and their quality is crap. I don't like Save A Lot either! I prefer Kroger or FoodFair.. You honestly get what you pay for with these types of stores.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
The discount supermarket. Discuss! http://aldi.us/

their food stores are smaller. I saw ones in upstate new york and bennington vermont.

beau99

We don't have Aldi out here.

There's one near Ashland where I used to live, but it was built after I came out here.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
Aldi isn't like Shop Rite or Price Chopper. They are a discount supermarkets. They prices like 50 cents for canned goods. They also have items like Tvs and VCRs and microwaves and bike and computers, ect. that are cheaper brands like Crofton and Tevion.

ya their supermarkets are small. The only one in new england is bennington vt

BillyGr

Here's a shot of the Aldi's store in Rensselaer.  This is a freestanding, built from scratch store - nothing unusual there.

The site it sits on, however, is a portion of the former Joy Store - a local chain with stores in Rensselaer, Glens Falls, and Clifton Park, plus about 10 Toys (R) (Are) (For) Joy stores (the name was changed several times due to Toys R Us complaints) - one near each of the dept. stores and others in various spots.  Started in the 50's, all closed in the early-mid 90's - similar to an older Kmart or 5 and 10 type store - the Rensselaer one was expanded 3 or 4 times over the years.

BillyGr

Here's the Hudson (Greenport) location on Route 9.  As noted elsewhere, this was a former A&P which Aldi uses only a part of (Advance Auto has the other part).

This was one of the first (maybe THE first) Aldi to open in the area (you won't find any in Albany or Rensselaer county EXCEPT the one I posted above since these two counties still require item pricing which Aldi refused to do - the Rensselaer got around it by being a city which has a weights & measures dept. that could set it's own rules - They do have one of those check price scanners for customers).

shakethis1234

dont they  own trader joes

Ames#1171

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr
(you won't find any in Albany or Rensselaer county EXCEPT the one I posted above since these two counties still require item pricing which Aldi refused to do).

I don't want to sound "stupid" but, what does that mean?  In every Aldi I have been, the price for the goods were posted above the product.  Does it mean that the price has to be physically on the item??  Thanks in advance for the help!!
Ames" border="0

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by Ames#1171
QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr
(you won't find any in Albany or Rensselaer county EXCEPT the one I posted above since these two counties still require item pricing which Aldi refused to do).

I don't want to sound "stupid" but, what does that mean?  In every Aldi I have been, the price for the goods were posted above the product.  Does it mean that the price has to be physically on the item??  Thanks in advance for the help!!

You got it Bossman, and no this is not sounding stupid, because I actually learned something here too. So that explains why the Hannafords in that area are still pricing. We had heard of that, and thought it was insane. Our store gave up pricing items around 2000 I believe, and it sped stocking times up immensely. In this day and age, pricing is outdated. I can see if an item is being tied into another area or department, that that item should be priced. Also the use of the Price Scanners around the store helps to alleviate other price issues when for example, a shelf tag is lost, or an item is on display without a price sign. Plus with the advancement of the POS (Point of Sale) Systems, accuracy of item prices are well above what they were in the past.

I clearly can see why Aldis wouldn't want to venture in there.

Ames#1171

Thanks, it just sounded weird that the city/town would require a store to price each individual item, when most stores have those price scanners scattered around the store.
Ames" border="0

BillyGr

Yep - you got it right - they are still (supposed to) put a tag on each item (there are some exceptions if I remember correctly for certain "basic" items).  NY State had a similar law that expired several years ago, but for some reason these two counties continued their versions (or at least had).  
As I said, the city of Rensselaer found that loophole since they were the only ones in the county that had the "weights and measures" or whatever they called it dept. they could work around it by having the customer scanner and random checks.  
I know the bigger chains (Hannaford, Price Chopper) weren't happy about it, but the only reason it came up (probably) wa that the city had tried to attract a grocery store for quite a few years, and none of the major stores was interested.
I'm not quite sure how the Save A Lot in Menands (Albany County) got in as they are ususally the same set-up as an Aldi (with the signs and whatnot).

The only good thing (for the customers, anyway) is that you can sometimes get a free item (when they put the wrong tag on a item, since the bigger stores advertise the "If it scans wrong, it's free" program).

d_fife

aldi in wallingford ct in kohl's plaza

d_fife

d_fife