Big Lots

Started by Jag67, May 08, 2005, 06:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJBers

Quote from: Brammy on November 12, 2017, 08:00:56 AM
Quote from: JJBers on November 12, 2017, 01:19:49 AM
Charter Oak Mall (East Hartford, Connecticut) by JJBers, on Flickr
It's in a sketchy area, so that's why.

I don't go to East Hartford very often, but it's been my observation that most of the city is sketchy. That's why even when I do get my own automobile I don't think I'm going to take my friend up on his offer to sit in on his radio show on La Mega, which has their studios on Burnside Avenue. He hosts 2 shows on the station - one that's mainly in Spanish and the other that's mainly in English. Obviously I would sit in on the show that he does in English.
Yeah, my parents occasionally have training which mostly takes place in East Hartford. My mom blames the public transport, allowing most of Hartford to dump into the area.
And for any non-natives of CT, Hartford is the equivalent of Cleveland, the north end especially.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

jason83080

Sorry for the low-quality photo, but this is the infamous green stripe that's still on the old-Ames back wall of our new Big Lots. Further down the back of the store, there's a second set of doors that reveal more of the stripe, as well as a portion of the wall that's been broken out that, I assume, was where Ames's back door was to their Receiving area. It's pretty nostalgic to see that stripe, but I thought it'd be higher up on the wall than it is. Also, I have to wonder how much of the back offices are in tact, since I could see one of the old Security Windows still in place...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbnNUSyB3Pw/?taken-by=jasontakach

JimSawhill

Here is the Big Lots from Norwich, this was a former Caldor before the mall was renovated into a strip mall:

Norwichtown Commons by JJBers, on Flickr
I would have a photo of the Big Lots in East Hartford, but it came out blurry, so instead enjoy this photo of the sign:

JJBers, I have to disagree about  Charter Oak Mall being in a  sketchy area. I grew up East of the mall (Sunset Ridge Estates area) and it isn't bad. Of course, directly to the west is the lower middle class apartment complex, and south is the dead Silver Lane Plaza (my hangout was the Woolworths and JM Fields).

I know the town is not what is was back in the 70s and 80s, but it is an underrated town.

JimSawhill

Quote from: JJBers on November 13, 2017, 09:06:50 AM
Quote from: Brammy on November 12, 2017, 08:00:56 AM

I don't go to East Hartford very often, but it's been my observation that most of the city is sketchy. That's why even when I do get my own automobile I don't think I'm going to take my friend up on his offer to sit in on his radio show on La Mega, which has their studios on Burnside Avenue. He hosts 2 shows on the station - one that's mainly in Spanish and the other that's mainly in English. Obviously I would sit in on the show that he does in English.
Yeah, my parents occasionally have training which mostly takes place in East Hartford. My mom blames the public transport, allowing most of Hartford to dump into the area.
And for any non-natives of CT, Hartford is the equivalent of Cleveland, the north end especially.

True about Hartford...

JJBers

Quote from: JimSawhill on November 21, 2017, 07:56:32 PM
Here is the Big Lots from Norwich, this was a former Caldor before the mall was renovated into a strip mall:

I would have a photo of the Big Lots in East Hartford, but it came out blurry, so instead enjoy this photo of the sign:

JJBers, I have to disagree about  Charter Oak Mall being in a  sketchy area. I grew up East of the mall (Sunset Ridge Estates area) and it isn't bad. Of course, directly to the west is the lower middle class apartment complex, and south is the dead Silver Lane Plaza (my hangout was the Woolworths and JM Fields).

I know the town is not what is was back in the 70s and 80s, but it is an underrated town.
I'm not sure, the abandoned cinema there has some crime issues, and that's directly across the street from the mall
My Flickr

Bdubs

Quote from: jason83080 on November 19, 2017, 09:00:26 PM
Sorry for the low-quality photo, but this is the infamous green stripe that's still on the old-Ames back wall of our new Big Lots. Further down the back of the store, there's a second set of doors that reveal more of the stripe, as well as a portion of the wall that's been broken out that, I assume, was where Ames's back door was to their Receiving area. It's pretty nostalgic to see that stripe, but I thought it'd be higher up on the wall than it is. Also, I have to wonder how much of the back offices are in tact, since I could see one of the old Security Windows still in place...

The Ocean State Job Lot in Jewett City still has the green stripe around their back room as well. They even use the old Ames register stations still, complete with the A+ logo on the sides of the lighted numbers still.

JJBers

Quote from: Bdubs on December 06, 2017, 08:19:27 PM
Quote from: jason83080 on November 19, 2017, 09:00:26 PM

The Ocean State Job Lot in Jewett City still has the green stripe around their back room as well. They even use the old Ames register stations still, complete with the A+ logo on the sides of the lighted numbers still.
There in October, took photos. (see the thread for Jewett City in Ames locations)
My Flickr

JimSawhill

Quote from: JJBers on November 21, 2017, 08:28:38 PM
Quote from: JimSawhill on November 21, 2017, 07:56:32 PM

I'm not sure, the abandoned cinema there has some crime issues, and that's directly across the street from the mall

I wouldn't say the cinemas are across the street, because the Charter Oak Mall used to have the cinemas as part of their ads. The so called street is the driveway to the mall. Next to the cinemas is Nutmeg Village, which is not a nice neighborhood. My friend's dad built those apartments as an upscale complex. Now, it isn't upscale. East Hartford has great neighborhoods but also bad areas, too.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Big Lots is set to open in these former Toys "R" Us locations:

Fresno, California
Exton, Pennsylvania
Durham, North Carolina
Woodbridge, Virginia
Indianapolis, Indiana

Everything Community

Quote from: d_fife on August 08, 2006, 08:12:14 PM
QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
big lots in manchester ct in the shaw's plaza in the town's center.

sign of big lots in manchester ct
Here's a shot of the newer Big Lots in the Plaza at Buckland Hills on the other side of town.

TheFugitive

Big Lots in the Pittsburgh area are all undergoing a major remodel.
The stores are starting to look significantly more upscale, with new fixtures and lighting.
The merchandise seems to be changing too.  They seem to be transitioning to a more
typical department store format, leaving behind the closeout merchant status of Gabe's, Ocean State or Ollie's.

Retail Regents

Decor kind of reminds me of that used by Family Dollar. Also gone are the red ex-Target carts (or anything acquired for that matter); rather they use their own, which I believe to be the Peggs KNM650. Here's the Big Lots in New Hartford, NY that I encountered the Store of the Future style.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Retail Regents on June 26, 2019, 03:41:51 PM
Decor kind of reminds me of that used by Family Dollar. Also gone are the red ex-Target carts (or anything acquired for that matter); rather they use their own, which I believe to be the Peggs KNM650. Here's the Big Lots in New Hartford, NY that I encountered the Store of the Future style.

Nice looking store...

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Big Lots likes to recycle buildings from other retailers, mainly empty supermarkets, discount stores, department stores, and buildings formerly belonging to various defunct toy stores including Toys "R" Us/Babies "R" Us, Kiddie City/Play World, or Child World/Childrens' Palace.

TheFugitive

Big Lots' stock price takes a 31% hit as word gets out that the company is struggling to find additional financing.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/big-lots-stock-falls-31-the-outlook-is-very-concerning-analyst-says/ar-BB1i9SNv

Analysts quoted in the article say the outlook for the company is "very concerning".