New Grocery Store opening in former Roger's IGA Marketplace in Berlin, CT

Started by ynkeesfn82, February 21, 2016, 05:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

A new grocery store called Ferndale Market Fresh will be opening in the former Roger's IGA Marketplace in the Kensington section of Berlin, Connecticut in May.

From MYRECORDJOURNAL.COM

New market on Chamberlain Highway in Berlin

Published: February 21, 2016 | Last Modified: February 21, 2016 01:00AM
By Ashley Kus Special to the Record-Journal

The old Roger’s Marketplace at 45 Chamberlain Highway will no longer be empty.

Mayor Mark Kaczynski announced Thursday, Feb. 18, that Ferndale Market Fresh will be moving in.

The new market is an independent grocery store operated by Salim and Samira Saleh, a couple from New Jersey who have 30 years of running a supermarket under their belts. Now they’re settling into Connecticut to be closer to their children. The Berlin market will carry an extensive variety of gourmet products from all over the world, as well as many unique items.

“We are excited, we are building this from scratch,” Samira said.

She and her husband are updating the old marketplace building with all new shelves, floors, refrigeration, and handicap accessible bathrooms. There will be a seating area for customers to relax and have a cup of coffee. Samira noted that they are aiming to make the atmosphere comfortable and family-friendly.

“You’ll know who to speak to and who to go to when you shop with us,” she said. “We want it to feel like a family.”

Catering to the community is one of the Saleh’s priorities. Samira explained that they have already been collecting ideas from the public and plan to incorporate popular requests.

“We know people want more organic foods, gluten free foods, hard to find items, but they also want regular stuff too,” she said.

The idea, she added, is to try to carry as much as possible so that customers have a wide selection. There will be a seafood and bakery section with a variety of specialties. One thing that Samira has heard a desire for is international foods.

“We plan on providing Middle Eastern, Mediterranean, and other international options,” she said.

The owners, who currently reside in Wallingford, have a lot of experience being part of a community while serving the public. Back in New Jersey their store was in an area that was hit hard by Hurricane Sandy. Samira explained how the community depended on them to provide food and necessary items after the storm. The owners and the community were close-knit which is what they now want to bring to Berlin.

“We are really excited to get to know everyone and work with the town,” she said.

The owners’ main goal is to be successful in a thriving community while making the people in it happy.

“We are going to have a job fair in April and we hope to hire people in town and even from the high school,” Samira said.

She noted that former employees of the old marketplace have already expressed their interest in working at the new market. Currently the old sign has been replaced by a “coming soon” banner.

“Beginning in March the machines will start coming and it will start looking like a store inside,” Samira said.

Ferndale Market Fresh plans to officially open by May 1, 2016.

JimSawhill

Chuck E. Cheese

I'll have to check it out next time I'm up there when they open.

giantsfan2016

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on October 28, 2016, 05:14:15 AM
And Fenrdale Market Fresh has been sold already. Current owner says the sale is because the place is not doing well.

http://www.centralctcommunications.com/newbritainherald/article_600c893c-9cb2-11e6-8cad-7b071dc950db.html

Wow...already?? I guess Connecticut's business economy is bad as usual...

giantsfan2016

Quote from: JimSawhill on October 28, 2016, 08:29:07 AM
Wow...already?? I guess Connecticut's business economy is bad as usual...

Maybe, but I heard the prices were very high even for "Cow-Town" Berlin. Plus it said the guy used 900Gs of is own money to redo the building. That's a lot of money for one small businessman.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: Marc B on October 28, 2016, 05:14:15 AM
And Fenrdale Market Fresh has been sold already. Current owner says the sale is because the place is not doing well.

http://www.centralctcommunications.com/newbritainherald/article_600c893c-9cb2-11e6-8cad-7b071dc950db.html

The Berlin Citizen (Meriden Record-Journal) reports the new owner is Edwin Sanchez who owns C-Town Supermarket in Norwalk. He says the name will remain the same for now.

giantsfan2016

JimSawhill

AmesNewington

Quote from: JimSawhill on March 15, 2018, 07:56:00 PM
Quote from: Brammy on November 09, 2017, 05:27:42 PM
And Mr. Sanchez says Adios to Ferndale Market Fresh. They will close for good on 11/10/17.

http://www.newbritainherald.com/NBH-Berlin+News/311045/berlins-ferndale-market-fresh-closes-friday

Anything in it  yet?

I haven't read any news on a replacement. I don't think an independent market should open here again. They never last. Is it Berlin residents or the store itself? I don't know, but perhaps a Trader Joes would be better here or an Aldi perhaps. It's kind of in an area in the middle of nowhere but the Chamberlain Highway area is a largely populated area and there is no supermarket close by except if you travel to S&S on Farmington Ave. That is the only full service supermarket in town. They need a second option badly. I really wish ShopRite would come to Berlin in Webster Square. I will never give up hope even if there isn't any.