Howard Johnson's Restaurants

Started by amesman, January 08, 2005, 02:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

deerwrecker2017

You might as well add Howard Johnson's Restaurants to the list of Defunct Restaurant chains since the last one standing had been closed completely around last October here's the link to the Wikipedia page which explains it - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Johnson%27s#End_of_restaurant_chain

It could be possible that sometime in the Future someone out there could successfully resurrect the chain.

JJBers

Quote from: JimSawhill on May 17, 2015, 10:32:35 AM
HoJofan206: Re: North Stonington,CT. That HoJo was the last HoJo built. It is a shrine.
Where in North Stonington?
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

JimSawhill

Quote from: JJBers on January 11, 2018, 07:58:47 PM
Quote from: JimSawhill on May 17, 2015, 10:32:35 AM
HoJofan206: Re: North Stonington,CT. That HoJo was the last HoJo built. It is a shrine.
Where in North Stonington?
I
Route 2 at Interstate 95 if I'm not mistaking.

BillyGr

Quote from: deerwrecker2017 on January 10, 2018, 05:55:23 PM
You might as well add Howard Johnson's Restaurants to the list of Defunct Restaurant chains since the last one standing had been closed completely around last October here's the link to the Wikipedia page which explains it - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Johnson%27s#End_of_restaurant_chain

It could be possible that sometime in the Future someone out there could successfully resurrect the chain.

That "last one" is still going, if not on a particularly easy to follow basis.  Apparently it is only open from time to time, without much of a regular schedule.

There is also a location at one of the Howard Johnson hotels in Ocala, FL, which is (technically) not an original restaurant but is known by the company and allowed to operate as such (just without any signage on the outside labelling it a "Howard Johnson's restaurant").  So a "sort of" 2nd one.

giantsfan2016

The building where Howard Johnson's restautant was on Queen Street in Southington, Connecticut is For Sale for $1,800,000. It was built in 1965. What is now The Days Inn (which is in the back of the property separately owned) was the Howard Johnson's motel and was also built in 1965. I don't know what year Howard Johnson's Restaurant closed, but over the years the building has been:

Bickford's
Gold Roc Diner2
Agave Mexican Grille (The building was painted a horrible green color at that point)
TD Homer's Sports Bar (They were owned by the same owners as Agave who also own The Wood N Tap Restauant in Price Chopper Plaza and other locations in Central Conneticut).

TD Homer's closed in December 2016.

http://theprotogroup.com/assets/documents/1510238216.pdf

scottw73

Quote from: Brammy on February 26, 2018, 05:10:53 PM
The building where Howard Johnson's restautant was on Queen Street in Southington, Connecticut is For Sale for $1,800,000. It was built in 1965. What is now The Days Inn (which is in the back of the property separately owned) was the Howard Johnson's motel and was also built in 1965. I don't know what year Howard Johnson's Restaurant closed, but over the years the building has been:

Bickford's
Gold Roc Diner2
Agave Mexican Grille (The building was painted a horrible green color at that point)
TD Homer's Sports Bar (They were owned by the same owners as Agave who also own The Wood N Tap Restauant in Price Chopper Plaza and other locations in Central Conneticut).

TD Homer's closed in December 2016.

http://theprotogroup.com/assets/documents/1510238216.pdf

I honestly don't know what could go there, so many have tried and failed at that location, I don't see IHOP or Friendlys relocating there, too bad Waffle House isn't up here. Maybe a diner??

giantsfan2016

Quote from: scottw73 on February 26, 2018, 11:42:47 PM
I honestly don't know what could go there, so many have tried and failed at that location, I don't see IHOP or Friendlys relocating there, too bad Waffle House isn't up here. Maybe a diner??

When TD Homer's closed in December 2016 it wasn't really a surpise to me. I knew they were having trouble when they cut their hours of operations. They eliminated Lunch service Monday-Thursday and wouldn't open til 4PM. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday were the only days they still opened at 11:30AM and served Lunch.

I would just bulldoze the restaurant building and the Days Inn (it doesn't do a lot of business) and build something else.

DefunctStoreKing

I have a forum on remembering Howard Johnson's
Erik "Taz" Mokracek

http://tazsnewforums.proboards37.com/index.cgi
Everyone Can Join My Message Board

Defunct Store Yahoogroup Maker Since 2007

Randy Amasia (October 9, 1957-December 12, 2001)

David Zinkin (November 19, 1970-August 13, 2008)

http://classix.110mb.com
My Webpage

Zayre88

I traveled to Bangor, Maine recently and noticed that unfortunately, Bangor's former Howard Johnson's restaurant has been demolished.

Bangor was the the last Howard Johnson's Motor Lodge and Restaurant complex. The restaurant closed in 2016.

giantsfan2016

The former Southington, Connecticut location is going be home to Hartford Restaurant Group's newest concept restaurant - The Que Whiskey Kitchen which will specialize in BBQ cuisine and whiskey and bourbon.

The Howard Johnson's building was built in 1965 along with a Howard Johnson's Motor Lodge. Today the motel is a Days Inn.

Over the years the restaurant spot has been Bickord's, Gold Roc Diner II, Agave Mexican Grill (with the building painted green), and TD Homer's Sports Bar, which closed in December 2016. Agave and TD Homer's were also owned by Hartford Restaurant Group. They owned the Connecticut chain Wood N Tap. Truthfully I don't know if there was anything in the building in-between Howard Johnson's and Bickford's. I don't know what year the former closed and the latter opened.

The restaurant building has held up much better than the motel building has. The restaurant building has been remodeled inside with each new restaurant. The motel which was subject to much neglect for many years was extensively renovated on the inside by the bank that owned it around 9 or 10 years ago. The outside still needs work. I actually think it should be demolished and rebuilt.

retailisking

Quote from: Zayre88 on October 08, 2018, 09:21:41 AM
I traveled to Bangor, Maine recently and noticed that unfortunately, Bangor's former Howard Johnson's restaurant has been demolished.

Did you get any pictures of the demo'ed site?

Zayre88

Quote from: retailisking on October 08, 2018, 01:25:47 PM
Quote from: Zayre88 on October 08, 2018, 09:21:41 AM

Did you get any pictures of the demo'ed site?

I was traveling with family so I'm not as free as before to roam around. ;)

I took this picture from the Fairfield Inn we were staying at. On the other side of the pool, you can now see the parking lot, the I-395 highway overhead signs and trees. This view would have originally been blocked by the restaurant.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Brammy on October 08, 2018, 10:49:43 AM
The former Southington, Connecticut location is going be home to Hartford Restaurant Group's newest concept restaurant - The Que Whiskey Kitchen which will specialize in BBQ cuisine and whiskey and bourbon.

The Howard Johnson's building was built in 1965 along with a Howard Johnson's Motor Lodge. Today the motel is a Days Inn.

Over the years the restaurant spot has been Bickord's, Gold Roc Diner II, Agave Mexican Grill (with the building painted green), and TD Homer's Sports Bar, which closed in December 2016. Agave and TD Homer's were also owned by Hartford Restaurant Group. They owned the Connecticut chain Wood N Tap. Truthfully I don't know if there was anything in the building in-between Howard Johnson's and Bickford's. I don't know what year the former closed and the latter opened.

The restaurant building has held up much better than the motel building has. The restaurant building has been remodeled inside with each new restaurant. The motel which was subject to much neglect for many years was extensively renovated on the inside by the bank that owned it around 9 or 10 years ago. The outside still needs work. I actually think it should be demolished and rebuilt.

Wasn't the Days Inn an old Red Carpet where a murder happened?

giantsfan2016

Quote from: JimSawhill on June 22, 2019, 11:31:19 AM
Wasn't the Days Inn an old Red Carpet where a murder happened?

Yes. Around 2007ish. It was outside. My friend's Mom was the Night Auditor there at the time. She quit that. The restaurant building is now a new concept from Hartford Restaurant Group called "Que Whiskey Kitchen."

deerwrecker2017

Quote from: BillyGr on February 06, 2018, 10:48:48 AM
Quote from: deerwrecker2017 on January 10, 2018, 05:55:23 PMYou might as well add Howard Johnson's Restaurants to the list of Defunct Restaurant chains since the last one standing had been closed completely around last October here's the link to the Wikipedia page which explains it - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Johnson%27s#End_of_restaurant_chain

That "last one" is still going, if not on a particularly easy to follow basis.  Apparently it is only open from time to time, without much of a regular schedule.

There is also a location at one of the Howard Johnson hotels in Ocala, FL, which is (technically) not an original restaurant but is known by the company and allowed to operate as such (just without any signage on the outside labelling it a "Howard Johnson's restaurant").  So a "sort of" 2nd one.

Unfortunately the "Last one" has since finally shut it's doors for good since before May of this year.

BillyGr

Quote from: deerwrecker2017 on August 28, 2022, 03:30:42 PM
Quote from: BillyGr on February 06, 2018, 10:48:48 AM
Quote from: deerwrecker2017 on January 10, 2018, 05:55:23 PMYou might as well add Howard Johnson's Restaurants to the list of Defunct Restaurant chains since the last one standing had been closed completely around last October here's the link to the Wikipedia page which explains it - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Johnson%27s#End_of_restaurant_chain

Unfortunately the "Last one" has since finally shut it's doors for good since before May of this year.

Yep - there is some type of work going on in the building, but no clue as to what it may become (though not the same in any case).