Old School Grocery "Fences"

Started by nims57, February 24, 2010, 06:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nims57

In the 60's and 70's, why did some grocery stores have "fences" along the front of the store? For example Grand Union with the "GU" initials: http://dcgrocery.multiply.com/photos/album/3/Food_Fair_Grand_Union#photo=77

BillyGr

Most places these were designed to keep carts inside of the area (close to the store), rather than to let you take them to the parking lot.

Around here, the stores that had these were usually in more "city" areas where carts were more likely to be taken (including those wanting to wheel their purchases home, not just stolen) and the fence prevented that.

They generally surrounded the storefront (though sometimes only parts are remaining now) completely, and often had a gate that could be opened (assumably to let someone in/out with a stroller/wheelchair or a delivery if that came to the front on occasion).

nims57

This Grand Union was in Falls Church, VA. The store is obviously in questionable condition. I have never been to Falls Church, but it does seem suburban. They have these fences at the Great Valu in Upper Darby, PA which is a former Food Fair/Pantry Pride. Upper Darby is mostly a decent suburb, but is very close to Philadelphia.

Marc82

The old Save-a-lot on Allen Street in New Britain, CT had this. Their new store on East Main Street doesn't.

MikeRa

The Holiday Thriftway (former Penn Fruit Company) store at Frankford avenue and Pratt Street, in Philadelphia, PA, still has the "grocery fences" up as well
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Pikapower

Quote from: nims57 on February 24, 2010, 06:56:23 PM
In the 60's and 70's, why did some grocery stores have "fences" along the front of the store?

They had those "fences" to keep the carts near the store so that people won't take them out of the stores forcing some people to carry the groceries back to the car without the cart.
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

EddieJ1984

The shoprite in Northeast Philly at frankford ave & knorr st has the fences to keep the carts in. Here's a pic I took back in 2009 (looks basically the same, sans the banners)

Hate it, i understand why because its near a busy street (frankford ave) and has a small/compact parking lot.

BillyGr

Quote from: EddieJ1984 on July 18, 2017, 06:12:41 PM
The shoprite in Northeast Philly at frankford ave & knorr st has the fences to keep the carts in. Here's a pic I took back in 2009 (looks basically the same, sans the banners)

Hate it, i understand why because its near a busy street (frankford ave) and has a small/compact parking lot.

Plus you'll notice the sign for parcel pick-up, which is/was common at stores with this setup, allowing you to pull your vehicle up to load your purchases, which makes up for the lack of being able to take the cart to your car.

Also likely that most of these set-ups were designed before the option existed to get those carts where the wheel locks if you take it beyond a certain point.

shore72

A friend of ours opened a salvage freight store in the 80's (still going!) and one of the first things he did while remodeling the building was to add a "fence" around the front, just for the carts. He was too far from town for anybody to wheel them home, but he paid good money and didn't want somebody stealing them. The fence allowed him to leave them outside at night.