Family Video

Started by Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill), February 19, 2010, 08:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Family Video is a chain of video stores based out of Glenview, Illinois.
Family Video was established in 1978 by Clarence Hoogland in Springfield, Illinois as Video Movie Club.

Family Video currently has locations in these states:
Iowa
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Nebraska
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Wisconsin

Here's what their stores look like:

DISCUSS!

GothicPrincess

Hey, we got one of those! I never go there though. I am a victim of Red Box Rentals, and don't bother with video stores anymore. i should go down there though and see if they changed their prices...if it's worth me driving to Greensburg or not. I honestly don't remember seeing one in Latrobe, I'll go look though, on my trusty google map. I don't recall ever renting from there, but I HAVE been in the store before just to look around. This was also about 3 years ago...
Jaime...BRADLEES FOREVER!!!

GothicPrincess

Jaime...BRADLEES FOREVER!!!

C3Nostalgia

Anyone besides me ever find it odd that a place called "Family Video" has an adult section?

Quote from: C3Nostalgia on February 21, 2010, 03:47:25 PM
Anyone besides me ever find it odd that a place called "Family Video" has an adult section?

Now that you say it, it does sound odd.  ???

The Subway restaurant in this picture occupies a lease spot in the "strip mall" portion of a Family Video store in Bloomington, Illinois. Many newly-built Family Video locations have this feature. Most of the Family Video stores in Green Bay, the city I currently live in, feature at least one to two lease spots for a few stores, filled with the likes of Little Caesar's, Wing Zone, or L.A. Tan.

nims57

How do you know it has an adult section?

Quote from: nims57 on February 21, 2010, 11:07:41 PM

He probably knows about it because he went there and saw the doors to it.
I was at the Family Video store today. The adult video section is in the back of the store. The doors to it are to the left of the "Game Room" and new releases. I don't go back there because I do not like that smut.
The interior of my local Family Video is getting a makeover, with new carpeting of all things.

C3Nostalgia

Quote from: ShopKoFan on February 22, 2010, 07:45:01 PM
Quote from: nims57 on February 21, 2010, 11:07:41 PM

He probably knows about it because he went there and saw the doors to it.
I was at the Family Video store today. The adult video section is in the back of the store. The doors to it are to the left of the "Game Room" and new releases. I don't go back there because I do not like that smut.
The interior of my local Family Video is getting a makeover, with new carpeting of all things.
That's exactly how I know about it.  I have no interest in those films, but it is kind of ironic when the name of the store is "Family Video."

KmartDanny09

Quote from: ShopKoFan on February 21, 2010, 09:04:45 PM

The Subway restaurant in this picture occupies a lease spot in the "strip mall" portion of a Family Video store in Bloomington, Illinois. Many newly-built Family Video locations have this feature. Most of the Family Video stores in Green Bay, the city I currently live in, feature at least one to two lease spots for a few stores, filled with the likes of Little Caesar's, Wing Zone, or L.A. Tan.

Some older Family Video locations get down-sized and offer leasing space to other companies. One of the managers at the one we go too said that since DVD's don't need as much space as VHS tapes, they use less floor space. Thus they convert the dead space into leasing space.

This may be the key to why Family Video fares so much better than BlockBuster and Hollywood Video locations. Since they own their locations, they can offer services like this.

KmartDanny09

Quote from: GothicPrincess on February 21, 2010, 12:59:17 PM
Hey, we got one of those! I never go there though. I am a victim of Red Box Rentals, and don't bother with video stores anymore. i should go down there though and see if they changed their prices...if it's worth me driving to Greensburg or not. I honestly don't remember seeing one in Latrobe, I'll go look though, on my trusty google map. I don't recall ever renting from there, but I HAVE been in the store before just to look around. This was also about 3 years ago...

I recommend getting a membership!! Their rental prices can't be beat! About half that of Blockbuster!!

Plus they are always offering new specials and coupons... and if you don't rent from in the while, they will call you and give you mouth-long specials to get you to come back!

All around good customer service!

Hudsons81

Quote from: KmartDanny09 on February 23, 2010, 08:40:27 PMPlus they are always offering new specials and coupons... and if you don't rent from in the while, they will call you and give you mouth-long specials to get you to come back!

They have specials to give you free samples of food if you haven't rented anything from there in a while?

Anyway, our closest one is at Northline and Pardee in Taylor, Michigan. Don't remember how long it has been there It opened sometime between 1999 and 2002, but and it doesn't have a strip mall portion, as it opened right around the time DVD started taking off.

Pikapower

WHAT!? that's kind of wrong for Family Video to have an adult section!  :-X
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

BillyGr

Quote from: Pikapower on June 20, 2015, 07:50:04 PM

I guess they want to offer things for the whole family (and any kind of family). :)

Pikapower

Quote from: BillyGr on June 21, 2015, 02:45:54 PM

I guess they want to offer things for the whole family (and any kind of family). :)

But having adult movies be available at a place called "Family Video" really takes the "Family" part out of it. Why can't Family Video have no adult movies in their stores like Blockbuster did?

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

TheFugitive

LOL! The first time I went into one of their stores I went looking for the restroom and found
myself standing in the Adult section of Family Video!

That store has since closed and relocated to a strip mall a few miles away.
UPMC converted the building to an internal medicine clinic and rehab facility.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Pikapower on June 21, 2015, 03:31:25 PM
Quote from: BillyGr on June 21, 2015, 02:45:54 PM

But having adult movies be available at a place called "Family Video" really takes the "Family" part out of it. Why can't Family Video have no adult movies in their stores like Blockbuster did?

Maybe they want to STAY IN BUSINESS.....

TheFugitive

Quote from: TheFugitive on June 22, 2015, 09:27:12 AM

LOL! The first time I went into one of their stores I went looking for the restroom and found
myself standing in the Adult section of Family Video!

That store has since closed and relocated to a strip mall a few miles away.
UPMC converted the building to an internal medicine clinic and rehab facility.

The Family Video store that located to a strip mall has now closed.
A gym has moved into it's space.

There is still one Family Video store open on Route 51 in Whitehall.

Why is this in "defunct retail"? Family Video is still alive. They have hundreds of stores and they just entered Canada not too long ago.

https://www.familyvideo.com/

Pikapower

Quote from: ShopKoFan on December 29, 2017, 02:20:14 AM
Why is this in "defunct retail"? Family Video is still alive. They have hundreds of stores and they just entered Canada not too long ago.

The concept of video stores is pretty much dead since more people are using Netflix to watch movies.

Quote from: Pikapower on December 29, 2017, 04:59:16 PM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on December 29, 2017, 02:20:14 AM

The concept of video stores is pretty much dead since more people are using Netflix to watch movies.
It does not mean that Family Video is defunct.

What if the repeal of Net Neutrality by the FCC has disastrous effects on Netflix users?...like the "throttling" of their services by AT&T or Verizon?

I guess it's time for a Family Video membership!

What I'm trying to say, is calling Family Video "defunct" makes about as much sense as calling Shopko and Meijer "defunct" retailers!

Their parent company has to go under to be truly "defunct" like Blockbuster.

Move this to "other current retail" despite the fact that the other video stores are gone.

They have 775 stores in the United States and Canada (they just entered Canada in 2012).

Pikapower

Quote from: ShopKoFan on January 02, 2018, 05:14:25 AM
What I'm trying to say, is calling Family Video "defunct" makes about as much sense as calling Shopko and Meijer "defunct" retailers!

Move this to "other current retail" despite the fact that the other video stores are gone.

They have 775 stores in the United States and Canada (they just entered Canada in 2012).
Other than the Redbox vending machines, Family Video is the last video store in North America.

Quote from: Pikapower on January 02, 2018, 03:57:39 PM

Other than the Redbox vending machines, Family Video is the last video store in North America.
Vending machines are not stores.

JJBers

Quote from: ShopKoFan on January 02, 2018, 07:09:59 PM
Quote from: Pikapower on January 02, 2018, 03:57:39 PM

Vending machines are not stores.
Close enough.
While they might have nearly 800 locations, video stores themselves are defunct.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

Chuck E. Cheese

There's a difference between defunct and outdated in my mind..
Video stores are outdated but are not defunct.
Dial-up Internet is both outdated and defunct.

Just my opinion, though.

TheFugitive

There are still a significant number of people on dial-up internet.
Particularly in rural areas.  My in-laws lived in a rural part of Alabama
where nothing else was available.

Of the 3 Family Video locations that were near me one is still open,
one is now a furniture store, and one is a medical office (that Family Video
store moved into a strip mall, but recently closed and the location is now a gym).

Quote from: TheFugitive on January 03, 2018, 11:40:45 AM
There are still a significant number of people on dial-up internet.
Particularly in rural areas.  My in-laws lived in a rural part of Alabama
where nothing else was available.

Of the 3 Family Video locations that were near me one is still open,
one is now a furniture store, and one is a medical office (that Family Video
store moved into a strip mall, but recently closed and the location is now a gym).
There are three locations in the Green Bay area. Antiquated: yes, defunct: no. They still do good business judging by the cars in the parking lot.

People also still use broadcast TV (like me), so that is not going anywhere, either. I do that to avoid rising cable bills, plus the new ATSC standard was an improvement over the old NTSC standard, with new subchannels being added every year to most of the stations in my area.

I also use a router to get my internet from a neighboring wifi hotspot.

Chuck E. Cheese

Sometimes I forget how privileged I am to have high-speed.

But yes, I'm happy that Family Video has survived. It's one more step to an open Blockbuster that's closer to me.

shakethis1234

Family video is owned by a real estate company. They owned Marcos pizza stay fit 24 and also leases space to other stores. The family video in my town fulton ny closed and moved into a plaza but still own the building but leases it to autozone and zoom tan.