Wegmans

Started by amesman, May 01, 2005, 11:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyGr

Quote from: retailisking on May 13, 2015, 02:42:14 AM
I wonder if they will ever enter the Albany-Schenectady-Troy market. They seem to get passed over every time.

At least along the line of the Thruway/90/Berkshire Spur, since they have to be going that way to the MA stores anyway, so it wouldn't be hard to add a stop en route.

retailisking

Quote from: BillyGr on May 13, 2015, 03:43:30 PM
At least along the line of the Thruway/90/Berkshire Spur, since they have to be going that way to the MA stores anyway, so it wouldn't be hard to add a stop en route.

That's my thinking too. If it's an attractive enough market for ShopRite to enter and for Golub to pour millions into its stores and rebanner them as Market 32 it has to be worth it for Wegmans to at least enter the more upscale suburbs. If they had gotten there earlier ShopRite might never have come back.

HannafordHearts

I love love love Wegmans. Although I live in Florida now, Wegmans is one of the things I will always miss from up north.

Their organic selection is huge, and being anti-GMO, that was a big thing for me. So many organic items at amazing prices that you can't get anywhere else. When I lived in Utica, NY, I drove the hour to DeWitt just to go and stock up at Wegmans. I could get almost everything I needed from there. Such a great store.

jamesway_95

I have seen a Wegmans in person (the one in Cherry Hill, NJ); but have never been inside one.

FitchMike26

Bear in mind, this location will only be 75,000 sq ft. Certainly that's large for a "regular" supermarket; but that's tiny for a Wegmans.

The locations in the Philadelphia region are all 130,000 - 150,000 st ft; and that isn't counting the freestanding liquor stores they operate in NJ.

Collegeville, King of Prussia, Malvern, and Montgomeryville are all almost 150,000 sq ft.

BillyGr

Quote from: FitchMike26 on May 14, 2015, 10:58:54 PM
Bear in mind, this location will only be 75,000 sq ft. Certainly that's large for a "regular" supermarket; but that's tiny for a Wegmans.

But probably a similar multiple when compared to many "City" supermarkets, since most city markets are smaller than what is found in other areas?

Example - Using the ones you mention that are almost 150,000 Sq. Ft., what is the size of another chain near those?  Maybe 60,000 Sq. Ft.?

If so, then a 75,000 Sq. Ft. Wegmans would be comparable to a 30,000 Sq. Ft. "regular" market in the city area (in terms of being a similar percentage larger).

FitchMike26

Oh, I hear what you're saying. I'm just mentioning this because it's likely this new Wegmans won't have all the same bells and whistles as a typical location.

So when people say "Ohhhh! Wegmans in Brooklyn!" it's really like "ohh, a scaled down, rinky dink Wegmans in Brooklyn."

FitchMike26

Wegmans has announced plans for a store in Lancaster, PA.

The 120,000 store should open sometime in 2018. The closest locations to Lancaster now are in Downingtown, 35 miles east, and Mechanicsburg, 35 miles to the west (near Harrisburg).

More info here:
http://lancasteronline.com/news/local/it-s-true-wegmans-is-coming-to-lancaster-picks-site/article_65005a9a-74db-11e5-ab5c-abbc223a93e1.html

patk

^
i cant wate for it to open ;D i was hopeing for a Trader Joes  ;)

mixedday

Quote from: FitchMike26 on October 19, 2015, 04:30:21 PM
Wegmans has announced plans for a store in Lancaster, PA.

The 120,000 store should open sometime in 2018. The closest locations to Lancaster now are in Downingtown, 35 miles east, and Mechanicsburg, 35 miles to the west (near Harrisburg).

More info here:
http://lancasteronline.com/news/local/it-s-true-wegmans-is-coming-to-lancaster-picks-site/article_65005a9a-74db-11e5-ab5c-abbc223a93e1.html

It certainly makes sense to have another store in the Central PA market. Lancaster is also the region within Central PA where the Apple Store opened. It opened in Park City Center which appears not far from this location.

silvfx66

The Raleigh News and Observer is reporting today that Wegmans will build it's first North Carolina store in Cary.  No time frame yet for construction as it will be a new shopping center that needs town approval.  Very happy to have Wegmans join Publix in the Raleigh/Cary market.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/community/cary-news/article55454620.html#storylink=mainstage

retailisking

Quote from: silvfx66 on January 19, 2016, 10:58:26 PM
The Raleigh News and Observer is reporting today that Wegmans will build it's first North Carolina store in Cary.  No time frame yet for construction as it will be a new shopping center that needs town approval.  Very happy to have Wegmans join Publix in the Raleigh/Cary market.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/community/cary-news/article55454620.html#storylink=mainstage

Clearly Wegmans isn't afraid of anyone if they aren't intimidated by Publix. The lesser players in the region (Food Lion, Bi-Lo, Piggly Wiggly, Lowe's) should be very worried.

FitchMike26

While I love Wegmans (and wish them well) I'm disappointed to hear this. I would rather see them enter new markets adjacent to their existing markets (like Northern Delaware; Western PA; and Long Island) before they start expanding into additional states far from their base.

As always, just my opinion!

retailisking

Quote from: FitchMike26 on January 20, 2016, 07:23:54 PM
While I love Wegmans (and wish them well) I'm disappointed to hear this. I would rather see them enter new markets adjacent to their existing markets (like Northern Delaware; Western PA; and Long Island) before they start expanding into additional states far from their base.

As always, just my opinion!

They're already in Virginia, so NC is just one state further to the south. Still, I'd like to see them come into Northern New England as well. As for Long Island, they're inching their way there with their upcoming Brooklyn store, but Long Island is a tough market to crack because of the distribution challenges.

FitchMike26

They are also in Erie (multiple stores too!) but haven't opened anything an hour or two south towards Pittsburgh. You make a valid point about Brooklyn, but Westchester/Rockland County NY is also adjacent to their existing areas, plus CT.
Bottom line, they are going to do what they want, and they don't really care what we think.
I still can't believe they won't put a store in Delaware.

BillyGr

Then there's that whole long standing rumor (which may or may not have truth) about them not moving into areas where Price Chopper exists, which would cover parts of NY, CT, MA, VT, NH and PA.  So far the overlaps are quite limited (around Syracuse where both meet and one or two scattered spots otherwise).

mixedday

Quote from: FitchMike26 on January 21, 2016, 04:01:55 PM
They are also in Erie (multiple stores too!) but haven't opened anything an hour or two south towards Pittsburgh. You make a valid point about Brooklyn, but Westchester/Rockland County NY is also adjacent to their existing areas, plus CT.
Bottom line, they are going to do what they want, and they don't really care what we think.
I still can't believe they won't put a store in Delaware.

I think the Raleigh/Cary market has a lot of growth coming from people relocating from the Northeast. A lot of tech immigrants (H1B Indians) also, graduates from Duke/UNC moving there, and likely high income families similar to the NoVA region.

As for Delaware, Wegmans opened a new store in Glen Mills, PA which isn't far from the DE border. I suppose their might not be suitable sites in Delaware, but maybe I'm wrong.

They also haven't penetrated Southeast NJ (Atlantic City area) when maybe they could open a store in Atlantic County, but maybe not as many suitable sites. I think there is one site where a former Pathmark was located, across the Shore Mall (Harbor Square), that could be suitable, however. There is only a Big Lots in this otherwise very large and dead shopping center that could be redeveloped. But the area might be downscale for Wegmans.

silvfx66

The Raleigh Cary market will also be the first time Wegmans goes up against Publix.  Should be interesting with Publix having 4 more stores planned in the area.  With Wegmans also already looking at Raleigh and South Durham it would definitely see a major threat to Harris Teeter.

retailisking

Quote from: BillyGr on January 21, 2016, 05:01:51 PM
Then there's that whole long standing rumor (which may or may not have truth) about them not moving into areas where Price Chopper exists, which would cover parts of NY, CT, MA, VT, NH and PA.  So far the overlaps are quite limited (around Syracuse where both meet and one or two scattered spots otherwise).

Price Chopper just installed their first non-family member as CEO, so there might be some movement regarding a sale of the chain, though the Golubs still insist nothing is going to change regarding ownership. If someone like Kroger or Albertsons buys them out then the notion of a "Gentlemen's Agreement" will be tested as never before.

silvfx66

I was always dubious of the "gentlemen's agreement" story regarding Wegmans and Golub.  Especially since they do compete in the Syracuse and Binghamton region.  My assumption was that Wegmans had more focus on bigger regions like Boston and the mid atlantic. 

BillyGr

I don't really know how much truth there is to it either.  It just seemed odd that, after Grand Union went bankrupt in the early 2000's, the whole Albany area has only Price Chopper and Hannaford (until the handful of ShopRite stores were built a few years ago), while an area like Pittsfield (just east and not any larger) has had 3 chains (Big Y, Stop & Shop and Price Chopper) for years.  It always seemed that someone else should have come in and picked up some of the GU locations (as Stop & Shop did in NJ/southern NY, Tops did in the Adirondacks etc.).

silvfx66

Perhaps now with Nano tech bringing in high paying jobs and people from a diverse background you might see Wegmans perhaps in the Clifton Park-Saratoga Region. Apparently Price Chopper is thinking something is coming with their shift to a more wegmans like model with Market32.  I do think they are looking in areas that can support multiple stores.  In NC they have already publicly indicated additional stores in Raleigh and Durham will be coming in the future.   

JimSawhill

Wegman's and Publix will battle Kroger's in NC. I hope AholdDehleize are ready for the battle between two private companies, a well run public store  and them...hope  they are ready.

giantsfan2016

FitchMike26

FitchMike26

Some Wegmans updates...

Hanover NJ (Parsippany area) will be opening in less than 60 days. Montvale (Bergen County) opens in September:
http://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2017/03/wegmans_to_open_in_july_in_hanover_september_in_mo.html

Wegmans first Washington DC (inside the actual city) store will open in 2021 or 2022. It's going to be a smaller than usual store (just like Brooklyn) but will still be huge by DC standards, at 80,000 sq ft. More info here:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-business/wp/2017/05/21/wegmans-is-coming-to-washington

Middletown (Monmouth County) NJ is getting a new Wegmans, as well. The 130,000 sq ft store should open in  2020:
https://jerseydigs.com/wegmans-opening-in-shoppes-at-middletown

giantsfan2016

I'm currently on vacation in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania. I had my friend Kyle take me to the Wegmans in KOP on the way back to my hotel. Granted it was after 9PM, I still don't see what all the fuss is over this supermarket.

BillyGr

Quote from: Brammy on June 07, 2019, 04:44:45 AM
I'm currently on vacation in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania. I had my friend Kyle take me to the Wegmans in KOP on the way back to my hotel. Granted it was after 9PM, I still don't see what all the fuss is over this supermarket.

You may have missed some of the draw, being that time of night.

Many people like them for the food services (stuff you can grab and eat then or take home for later) which are likely closing down by that time.  Also popular for their larger selections of fresh foods, which tend not to be useful if you are only travelling in the area without a way to use them or keep them.

Not to say that their central store isn't good - in fact they often have better deals on many items (just sometimes less options of a particular item in this part), and many store branded items that are both less costly and still equal to (or better than) the name branded ones.

They get the reputation of being expensive from those fresh sections (which are offering items most stores don't have and more of them, so they do have to be a bit higher on some to cover items not sold and for those unusual items that are costly to acquire to begin with).