Subway

Started by Caldor1999, April 10, 2005, 08:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

here is a subway in port jervis ny.

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
here is a subway in port jervis ny.

Uhh... that looks more like a shot of the Dutchess Mall to me.

d_fife

here is the one in madawaska maine in the k-mart / mid town plaza parking lot

Marc82

Bristol, Connecticut has 5 Subways!!!!! Population = 62,000.

Route 6 Across the Street from ShopRite Supermarket.

Route 6 inside Walmart. Walking distance from Shoprite.

Route 6 next to Blockbuster.

Main Street near the Dead Mall.

Route 229 down the street from ESPN.

Southington has 4.

Route 10 Across the Street from Shaw's.

Route 10 next to Ethan Allen.

Inside Walmart which is across the street from Ethan Allen.

Route 322 in the Plantsville section of Southington.

The one in the tiny town of Plainville moved from a tiny little building in downtown next to the Railroad Tracks to Route 10 near Woodford Avenue. They share space with a Tobacco Store.

The "toasted" subs aren't that great. I had one at the one across from the Southington Shaws.  The meat was still cold. The cheese was barely melted and the bread was soggy.

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82The one in the tiny town of Plainville moved from a tiny little building in downtown next to the Railroad Tracks to Route 10 near Woodford Avenue. They share space with a Tobacco Store.

I love your knowledge of Central Connecticut, Marc. That Subway has been there since the later 90s. The [indian] owners keep that store running very well even if they charge $.59 for soda refills (which is rare for any franchise Subway store to charge for refills). That Tobacco store used to be a bank, then when Subway moved in it became a Whole Donut. They're now a (presumably) family owned Tobacco/convenience store.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

d_fife

middletown ct sign

d_fife

subway in waterbury ct thomaston rd

d_fife

subway ridgefield ct

d_fife

subway in franklin nh

d_fife

d_fife

the one in newport me

d_fife

subway in caribou me

d_fife

subway  bucksport me

d_fife

david121

Where I live, we have....

One near my house
One in the mall
One in this kind of new plaza
One downtown
One in a gas station
A new one in a gas station... and they did a pretty half ass job of it. I applied at that Gas Station in the past, before they got a subway - no resturant work for me, F!!! it. But they never hired anyone, despite needing workers like mad and they just piled up in the back.

I hope that's it... There may be more. We don't have that many McDonalds, or Burger King's, but we have three Wendy's... wtf?

Marc82

My friend Jeff and I went to the Meriden Square Mall oh about a 6 or 8 weeks ago. He got dinner at Subway that night.  It took them like 15 minutes to make his sandwich, which should've taken maybe 5 at the most. Plus he said the sandwich wasn't that great. He said the people at the Price Chopper we work at make better sandwiches. I haven't eaten at Subway in quite a while. Probably not since August 06 when I applied to work at one (which I didn't get hired at).

C. Fontaine

The whole problem with Subway is the way they franchise.  Doctors Associates Inc, the company who owns the trademark, loves authorizing new franchises because it means more cashflow in royalties.  In fact you can look in just about any newspaper and find well-placed ads for Subway brain-washing seminars.  The problem is this is saturating the markets in practically every region, mostly here in the northeast.

The initial franchise fee is very small and virtually no startup money is needed besides what is needed to open the restaurant itself, whereas most other franchises, ex. Taco Bell and Dunkin Donuts require you to prove you have up to 1 million in free cash.  This is bringing in many normal people who want to "upgrade" their mom and pop businesses and gain the security and brand of a franchise.

The fact that it is relatively cheap to open a Subway, and the DAI consultants tantalizing prospective franchisees with beefed up sales forecasts, is why you see four and five of them in small towns.  And, unless they all happen to be owned by the same person, they are all generally competing against each other.

DAI actually has a 2010 Master Plan as well, and are far ahead of schedule with that.  At one point they even claimed there was a new Subway opening every 48 hours worldwide.

david121

You might not want to talk smack about your employer online... I shared a rant with a friend, who worked at another Burger King... and they found out.

At the time, I was no longer employed, but it all settled down within a few days.

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by david121
You might not want to talk smack about your employer online... I shared a rant with a friend, who worked at another Burger King... and they found out.

At the time, I was no longer employed, but it all settled down within a few days.

Don't mean to divert the attention off-topic but do they really care that much? You can speak your mind outside their time(clock). And if you're not working for them anymore, then so bigger what? Besides, you can just find another job... most of these places thrive on people they can just scare into being "fired". What they need is to simply get off their high horse; you can get paid minimum anywhere else... heck... across the street. Humph...
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

C. Fontaine

Every Subway is independantly owned and operated, so I'm employed by the owners of the store, not the company.  It's been a year and a half and they can't even break even, so their thoughts about DAI and SFAFT are similar to mine.  They fail to mention to you that their own stats show most Subway franchises don't see a profit unless they are across the street from a college or office park, or multiple units are owned.

david121

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
QuoteOriginally posted by david121

Don't mean to divert the attention off-topic but do they really care that much? You can speak your mind outside their time(clock). And if you're not working for them anymore, then so bigger what? Besides, you can just find another job... most of these places thrive on people they can just scare into being "fired". What they need is to simply get off their high horse; you can get paid minimum anywhere else... heck... across the street. Humph...

Oh, I wrote the rant when I was working there, but they found out way after I quit... and they thought I just typed it the previous day. It was dated and they didn't even look at it. :rolleyes: I didn't do it on the clock anyway... but the stuff I ranted about was. :)

videogamer75

A subway in a former dunkin donuts. from the user hurricanedylan on livevideo.com.

dmx10101

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
A subway in a former dunkin donuts. from the user hurricanedylan on livevideo.com.

a subway with a drive thru? thats a first.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

FearlessSwan

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by dmx10101
QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75

a subway with a drive thru? thats a first.

the one in hammonton, new jersey also has one, but I think it's because it used to be a bank.

Marc82

The Walmart I work at has one in there. I've been spending way too much money there in the month or so I've worked at Walmart.

Marc82

A Subway will be opening in a portion of the former Forestville Theatre in the Forestville Section of Bristol, Connecticut by the end of 2008. It will be owned by Terrence who owns 19 other Subways in the state.

videogamer75

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.san&s=87778&Nid=45648&p=415964

Subway is now the third largest restaurant chain in the US, surpassing Wendy's....

Marc82

Here's the one in the "CorWest" shopping center in New Britain, CT. Pic taken 10/21/08. There is a Chinese Restaurant in the back of this Subway. Didn't get a chance to sang a pic of it. Pic was taken while sitting in my car.

Marc82

Inside the Subway inside the Southington Walmart. Pic taken 10/22/08.