Toys "R" Us/Babies "R" Us/Kids "R" Us

Started by Caldor99, January 06, 2005, 01:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danfifepsu

Kmart will go before Toys r us I feel. Also It seems Toys r us doesnt beleive in closing stores well theyve said now and before about how about or almost all their stores are profitable. and I have seen their locations, and at lest theyave updated their stores unlike Kmart (They are same as 25 yrs ago).

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Toys "R" Us is the only national toy store chain (besides the LEGO Store, of course) that is left.

The Chicago area toy store chain Children's Bargain Town USA was merged with Toys "R" Us in the year 1971, since both stores were operated by Interstate Stores, Inc (Interstate was the owner of Topps and White Front discount stores, whose successor is Geoffrey, Inc.). Both toy chains combined to form a larger Toys "R" Us toy store chain.

Kay-Bee Toys/Toy Works is gone.
Children's Palace/Child World is gone.
Lionel Kiddie City/Lionel Playworld is gone.
Circus World is gone.
FAO Schwarz is gone.

A kid named Andrew wrote a note to the bankruptcy judge urging Toys "R" Us to stay open:

Childrens' Bargain Town USA/Toys "R" Us stores in Chicago, Illinois:

South Chicago location (demolished):

Highland Park, Illinois location:

Chicago North Side location, North Milwaukee Ave. & Campbell Ave. (demolished):

Calumet City, Illinois:

Other stores (locations unknown):

Pictures from "Chicago's Extinct Business"
https://www.chicagosextinctbusinesses.com/childrens-bargain-town-usa-toy-store.php

danfifepsu

There is one Toys r us this year at least that I know of that repainted the rainbow on the entrance BLUE. why did they do that? whats that show?

Zayre88

Toys 'r' us signage at Laurier Quebec Mall in Quebec City. The store is located further in the background.

danfifepsu

Quote from: Zayre88 on October 21, 2017, 09:58:17 AM
Toys 'r' us signage at Laurier Quebec Mall in Quebec City. The store is located further in the background.

again some a Toys r us got its rainbow entrance REPAINTED BLUE LAST SUMMER, what made that happen to that store?

JJBers

Quote from: danfifepsu on October 24, 2017, 12:51:13 PM
Quote from: Zayre88 on October 21, 2017, 09:58:17 AM

again some a Toys r us got its rainbow entrance REPAINTED BLUE LAST SUMMER, what made that happen to that store?
I don't know, maybe because it's in a mall? Or it's in Canada.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

This has to be the most interesting vintage Toys "R" Us store design:

Sagamore Parkway, Lafayette, Indiana
The "roof bumps" usually found over the front entrance along with the rainbow plank wall makes up part of the back wall. The roof's design on the front of the store is a flat verson of that brown roof with another wall filled with rainbow planks and small windows.

Quote from: danfifepsu on October 21, 2017, 08:34:06 AM
There is one Toys r us this year at least that I know of that repainted the rainbow on the entrance BLUE. why did they do that? whats that show?
There were people that showed a similar level of disappointment when all the Childrens' Bargain Town USA toy stores in the Chicago metropolitan area were converted to Toys "R" Us stores. Change can be a bitter pill to swallow. I know that as well as anyone.

Geoffrey & Geoffrey's Toys "R" Us stores

Geoffrey/Geoffrey's Toys "R" Us locations:

Meridian, Mississippi (Geoffrey)

Fond du Lac, Wisconsin (Geoffrey) - Permanently closed; now a PetSmart store.

Green Bay, Wisconsin (Geoffrey's Toys "R" Us)

Louisville, Kentucky - Outer Loop (Geoffrey's Toys "R" Us)

Louisville, Kentucky - Mall St. Matthews area (Geoffrey's Toys "R" Us)

Austin, Texas - Brodie Oaks (Geoffrey's Toys "R" Us)

Austin, Texas - Parmer Center (Geoffrey's Toys "R" Us)

Newspaper insert informing people about the new Toys "R" Us store concept:

Cover page:

Page 2:

Store Map & Coupons:

Back Cover with More Information:

Newspaper articles about the new Toys "R" Us store concepts (2003):

Hopefully, these articles will shed some light on the subject of why some Toys "R" Us stores are identified as "Geoffrey" or "Geoffrey's Toys "R" Us" stores.

They wanted to make shopping at Geoffrey's Toys "R" Us a fun experience for all age groups by offering activities year round (similar to the activities at Barnes & Noble), plus in-store birthday parties for the kids in the store's party room.

Some locations had a giant indoor playground (similar to a McDonald's PlayPlace playground).

In the late 2000s, they gave the stores a slight renovation removing the playground, the Studio G activity center and the Party Room, as well as the Candy Spot, Animal Alley, the ICEE machine and Pepsi soda fountain.

The Imaginarium was divided up into the LEGO and Learning & Education departments.

The stores still function as a standard Toys "R" Us store as of 2017.

They basically dimmed the magic found in these stores in 2003 by 2009 when they 86ed the "Geoffrey Spots."

They still do birthday parties with Geoffrey's Birthday Club, but it has not been the same without the Party Room to hold the parties in.

At least they kept the "R" ZONE electronics/video games department mostly intact.

JJBers

Only if they had opened up in Willimantic, they would've been my childhood basically.
My Flickr

The former Toys "R" Us in Times Square.

JJBers

Quote from: ShopKoFan on November 03, 2017, 09:06:36 PM

The former Toys "R" Us in Times Square.
These stores seems to fit more in Times Square than a Toys R Us.
My Flickr

giantsfan2016

The now bankrupt Toys "R" Us company wants to give $16 million in bonuses to their executives.
https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46199314&nid=157

danfifepsu

Ok One Toys r us I see in google reviews of one says loved going there as a kid and is having grand babies and said NOW I HEAR THEY ARE CLOSING. OK WHATS SHE MEAN? no stores have been announced as of yet.

danfifepsu

I have had 2 dreams of this Toys r us closing stores. OK OK they said the vast majority of their stores are profitable WHAT then? I feel and hope I am right : I Feel ones that will close are ones in areas where you can get to another within 15 min or redundant locations like a Full BAbies R us near a Hybrid Toys R us Babies R us.

Quote from: danfifepsu on January 02, 2018, 11:52:05 AM
I have had 2 dreams of this Toys r us closing stores. OK OK they said the vast majority of their stores are profitable WHAT then? I feel and hope I am right : I Feel ones that will close are ones in areas where you can get to another within 15 min or redundant locations like a Full BAbies R us near a Hybrid Toys R us Babies R us.

I'd say close the free-standing Babies "R" Us stores and consolidate whatever merchandise those stores had with an existing Toys "R" Us/Babies "R" Us combo nearby, if the Babies "R" Us stores lose money in the future...

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on January 02, 2018, 03:42:26 PM

I'd say close the free-standing Babies "R" Us stores and consolidate whatever merchandise those stores had with an existing Toys "R" Us/Babies "R" Us combo nearby, if the Babies "R" Us stores lose money in the future...

I say so too as its not needed for redundant real estate / overlapping. I have seen some Full Babies r us near a TOYS R US BABIES R US COMBO. whatll happen w that? ALSO, I have had 2 dreams of store closings, one dream I had was 60 were announced. They said 90 something percent of their stores are profitable

ALSO, one in NEw england had a rainbow entrance and what made them in 2017 repaint it BLUE. Whats that mean of the store?

JJBers

Quote from: danfifepsu on January 02, 2018, 07:19:15 PM

I say so too as its not needed for redundant real estate / overlapping. I have seen some Full Babies r us near a TOYS R US BABIES R US COMBO. whatll happen w that? ALSO, I have had 2 dreams of store closings, one dream I had was 60 were announced. They said 90 something percent of their stores are profitable

ALSO, one in NEw england had a rainbow entrance and what made them in 2017 repaint it BLUE. Whats that mean of the store?
Sorry to sound snarky, but the rainbow look isn't a good sign for a store. It's been unused for over 20 years. If you haven't updated a store's look in over 20 years, then it's either closing, or it's area's economy is failing pretty hard.
My Flickr

danfifepsu

Quote from: JJBers on January 02, 2018, 08:22:25 PM

Sorry to sound snarky, but the rainbow look isn't a good sign for a store. It's been unused for over 20 years. If you haven't updated a store's look in over 20 years, then it's either closing, or it's area's economy is failing pretty hard.

NO no what I am asking was a store DID have a rainbow for the entrance and in 2017 it was REPAINED MODERN BLUE, whats that repaint mean? esp if the store had that modification recently.

danfifepsu

why they closing ones if they said last SEpt that the vast majority of their stores are profitable. and I bet ones close are ones where theres another nearby, like in Albany Clifton Park Toys R us and Babies R us in Latham close and Toys r us Babes R us stays and in Nashua Toys r us / Babes r us stays and Full Babies r us other part of Nashua closes, Swansea mall one closes and N ATtleboro, DArtmouth and Warwick stay

One Toys r us on google reviews, someone said of a Toys r us store "it looks like a store that s clsng" whats that mean

JJBers

Quote from: danfifepsu on January 02, 2018, 09:09:48 PM
Quote from: JJBers on January 02, 2018, 08:22:25 PM

NO no what I am asking was a store DID have a rainbow for the entrance and in 2017 it was REPAINED MODERN BLUE, whats that repaint mean? esp if the store had that modification recently.
Laziness? Did they change a whole other part of the store? The Kmart in Watertown has the same 1970s sign, but the inside is from the 1990s.

Anyways, I think that Toys "R" Us is going down thanks to hypermarkets stores like Wal-Mart, Target, and others like them. Amazon and other online services are more of a hunch/excuse to declare bankruptcy.
My Flickr

danfifepsu

No Toys R us got bankruptcy due to debt frm their buyout. KMart wll prob go before Toys R us.

Quote from: danfifepsu on January 09, 2018, 09:06:02 PM
No Toys R us got bankruptcy due to debt frm their buyout. KMart wll prob go before Toys R us.

That's one thing I don't understand: Why is nobody understanding why Toys "R" Us filed for bankruptcy in the first place? It's not because of other retailers. It's because of debt from their buyout by KKR, Bain Capital and Vornado Realty Trust.

JJBers

Quote from: ShopKoFan on January 09, 2018, 09:21:23 PM

That's one thing I don't understand: Why is nobody understanding why Toys "R" Us filed for bankruptcy in the first place? It's not because of other retailers. It's because of debt from their buyout by KKR, Bain Capital and Vornado Realty Trust.
Well, clearly they couldn't get out of debt, so the competition played some role in this.
My Flickr

danfifepsu

Quote from: JJBers on January 09, 2018, 09:44:21 PM

Well, clearly they couldn't get out of debt, so the competition played some role in this.

Walmart had a role in it due to convience and pricing

i hope i am right of they will close 1s where there is another 1 nearby.

Quote from: danfifepsu on January 09, 2018, 10:39:10 PM

This will only happen in North America (U.S./Canada). Stores licensing the Toys "R" Us brand in other parts of the world won't close.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on January 10, 2018, 12:29:23 AM
Quote from: danfifepsu on January 09, 2018, 10:39:10 PM

This will only happen in North America (U.S./Canada). Stores licensing the Toys "R" Us brand in other parts of the world won't close.

Again I thought they said in Sept the vast majority of their stores are profitable. I hope I Am right they will close ones where they have another Toys r us in a 15 min drive.

How will the play labs work? and the digital experience of you go in and an app in your phone shows Geoffrey? they are doing way more than Kmart has ever done to keep up.