Friendly's

Started by amesman, January 08, 2005, 02:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caldor1999

Friendleys has improved over they years by adding newer things  na dchanging there look i just hope they can stay around longer cause i love there food heh
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
Friendleys has improved over they years by adding newer things  na dchanging there look i just hope they can stay around longer cause i love there food heh

I believe so I love the whimsical wallpaper and ice cream shop design.:bigsmile:

hehe my friendley has a huge clock in it that has the towns name on it also they play alot of 60's music in there to lol
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

store215

Two of my nearby Friendly's (Barn Plaza-Doylestown, and Warminster) both have the dumb clock thing in the middle too and they are always broken! :mad: I really don't like eating at either of these locations because they always seem so dark and "dirty-feeling", even though both were remodeled in the late 90's.

I like the new prototype they are using though (like the other Doylestown, PA friendly's by the Acme). The place is really clean feeling and bright.

New(er) building design (reference):

TRU7536

Theirs like a Friendlys in very town in CT, it seems like it. i been to a few, and their always busy.

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
Two of my nearby Friendly's (Barn Plaza-Doylestown, and Warminster) both have the dumb clock thing in the middle too and they are always broken! :mad: I really don't like eating at either of these locations because they always seem so dark and "dirty-feeling", even though both were remodeled in the late 90's.

I like the new prototype they are using though (like the other Doylestown, PA friendly's by the Acme). The place is really clean feeling and bright.

Have you ever been to the Horsham Friendly's on Easton Road? That one is farely good. Its down the street from the McDonald's.

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321

Have you ever been to the Horsham Friendly's on Easton Road? That one is farely good. Its down the street from the McDonald's.

No I've never been to that one, and thats really too far away, especially with the gas prices these days. I would probably eat there if I was going in that general direction though. We switch off between the Warminster Friendly's (very small and we usually have to wait), and the two Doylestown ones, depending on where we are closest to.

Zayre88

I was surprised to see that Friendly's closed it's Brewer, Maine restaurant ... and i later saw the one across the river in Bangor also closed!!  The two locations had the same style.  They are still listed on Friendly's website.

amesman

I have a job at Friendly's now. The one at the mall. I work in the ice cream fountain area, making all the ice cream. I haven't started yet, but I'm looking foward to it.

HoJofan206

Friendly's reminds me a lot of the way Howard Johnson's used to do business.  They had the signature red roof with white stripes and often were located in old HoJo buildings back in the 1980.s

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by HoJofan206
Friendly's reminds me a lot of the way Howard Johnson's used to do business.  They had the signature red roof with white stripes and often were located in old HoJo buildings back in the 1980.s

i just hope they stay around thoug h cause there food is really good
Caldor Forever!

Zayre88

Friendly's in Salem NH, located in a plaza formerly anchored by Zayre.    The style of the building is very Zayre, especially the roof shape.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
I was surprised to see that Friendly's closed it's Brewer, Maine restaurant ... and i later saw the one across the river in Bangor also closed!!  The two locations had the same style.  They are still listed on Friendly's website.

they are not on the locations list now. WHY DID THEY CLOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife

they are not on the locations list now. WHY DID THEY CLOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really don't know.  Maybe they were operated by a local owner and he decided to close...  Then why Friendly's did not bought the restaurants back or something...  

And here is a picture of the Friendly's in South Portland.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife

I really don't know.  Maybe they were operated by a local owner and he decided to close...  Then why Friendly's did not bought the restaurants back or something...  

And here is a picture of the Friendly's in South Portland.

this is the friendly's near Dick's sporting goods that is near the maine mall in south portland. a few years ago they closed a friendly's in south portland on Rt. 1.

d_fife

this friendly's is in south portland near the Mallside and Mall plazas.

d_fife

this friendly's is in augusta near the Augusta plaza that has k-mart.

d_fife

friendly's in south portland maine on rt. 1 closed years back.,

amesman

My job at Friendly's is going pretty well. I like it. Gets a little crazy sometimes.

d_fife

the friendly's in west roxbury is closing!!! after 35 years.
I still do not like bangor closing because bangor is a major place in maine.

amesman

I noticed that Friendly's has had different building styles over the years, much like Howard Johnson's. There first was a Colonial that went perpendicular from the road(see BillyGr's shot of Pittsfield, Mass). Then there was a Mansard style in the 70's. Then they went back to the Colonial style, only this time it ran parrallel to the road.

BillyGr

I didn't do this on purpose ( I swear) but it works for Amesman's post above:

1st Photo: East Greenbush location on Route 4 (1/4 mile from 9/20 intersection) - This is the colonial facing the road style
3rd Photo: Former location on State Street (Rt 5) in Niskayuna - now a sandwich shoppe (Same design)
2nd Photo: Latham location on Route 7 about 1/2 mile from Northway Exit 6.  This appears to be the mansard style.
4th Photo: Former Delaware Ave location in Albany - This sits in front of the plaza with the Eckerd/Advance Auto(former Wheels) - it would be the Colonial parallel to the road (Delaware Ave is to the left of the picture - I am in the plaza parking lot).  Of course, in this location that's the only way it would have fit anyway.  The still have a store on Delaware Ave in Delmar - my picture didn't come out though - but it's a Colonial facing the road (Style #1).

amesman

you got it right BillyGr! That's exactly what I'm talking about. Other mansards in the area are in Schenectady on Nott Terrace, and one in Glens Falls. All others seem to follow the first or third design.

amesman

Glenville, NY location.

amesman

Remodeled Clifton Park location.

amesman

Schenectady - Nott Terrace.

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
Remodeled Clifton Park location.

This one was damaged a few years back by fire, which was the reason for the remodel.  It still lokks similar (though the tower is something new).

The photo is an (admittedly bad) shot of the Friendly's in Troy Plaza in Troy on Route 7 (Hoosick Street).  This plaza also had an Ames (now Big Lots) and Price Chopper (Now Save a Lot).

StarSage

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
yes, some are. The one in Horseheads, NY used to be a HOJO's, as well as the one in Burlington, VT. There are many others as well, but, I can't tell you the locations off the top of my head...

There was also a Friendly's in Riverside, NY (near Corning) as well as at the Arnot Mall in Big Flats. I have many fonds memories of having lunch there with my folks. They used to have a kid's meal special that included a sundae. Oh.. those Reese's Pieces sundaes were soo good. And the peanut butter sauce.. *drool* :P

BillyGr

The first is the Bennington location - on Route 7 south of the main intersection - a smaller, road facing colonial.

2nd is the Western Ave location - again, just below Crossgates.  This is a parallel colonial.

3rd is the Wolf Road location - this faces the road.

4th is the Central Ave (Albany) location - between Everett Rd & Westgate plaza on the opposite side.  I guess this is a parallel, even though the door faces the road, the main building is parallel.

5th is the Lenox (MA) store - On Route 7/20 - it is a parallel building (the road is off to the right of the photo).

6th is the Pittsfield (MA) location - It is at the intersection of Routes 8 & 9.  Hard to tell, as roads pass at least 2 sides of this one.

Last is the North Adams location on Route 2 - another hard one - basically parallel but with the door on the front

BillyGr

This is the Oneonta location - on Route 7 in the main part of the city.  Another road-facing colonial styled building.

d_fife

here is the vacant one in pittsfield mass on west Housatonic st, as of March 20, 2006,