AMESFANCLUB
January 21, 2018, 04:15:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  
Author Topic: Friendly's  (Read 46352 times)
Bdubs

« Reply #240 on: December 14, 2015, 06:06:06 PM »

The former Friendly's on W. Main St in Norwich Ct is being converted into a Popeye's Chicken. It has sat empty since their bankruptcy a few years ago. Friendly's owned this building and Simon Konover Properties took over after their closure.
There is still a Friendly's on the other side of town, which still does quite well.
JimSawhill
Ames 4 Lyfer!

« Reply #241 on: February 02, 2016, 04:15:00 PM »

The former Friendly's on W. Main St in Norwich Ct is being converted into a Popeye's Chicken. It has sat empty since their bankruptcy a few years ago. Friendly's owned this building and Simon Konover Properties took over after their closure.
There is still a Friendly's on the other side of town, which still does quite well.

Popeye's is good....rather have Friendly's.
Patrick Boots CEC

« Reply #242 on: February 02, 2016, 05:37:17 PM »

I Can really mostly tell when a store used to be a Friendly's.

I Like the new remodel at Friendly's but I Think it could have been integrated somewhat with the older one..
JimSawhill
Ames 4 Lyfer!

« Reply #243 on: February 08, 2016, 05:07:36 PM »

I was google earth Silver Lane, East Hartford and Google showed  the old Friendly's that closed in 2000 being torn down... I wonder what will be there...
Bdubs

« Reply #244 on: February 08, 2016, 07:48:47 PM »

It's still just an empty lot. I'm waiting for the former Friendly's in Clinton to go the same way as East Hartford. It's become an eyesore.
JimSawhill
Ames 4 Lyfer!

« Reply #245 on: April 01, 2016, 10:23:34 PM »

It's still just an empty lot. I'm waiting for the former Friendly's in Clinton to go the same way as East Hartford. It's become an eyesore.

East Hartford needs to tear down the whole plaza (Silver Lane Plaza) across the street... It looks empty. It was a nice plaza in the 60s when I went to either the Woolworth snack bar or JM Field's snack bar after I get my allowance. I wish Target would come in.
Bdubs

« Reply #246 on: April 25, 2016, 06:56:32 PM »

Yeah Jim, that area is an eyesore. I'd say the biggest problem is their close proximity to Manchester and the recent development of South Windsor. Hard to lure in a retailer when it seems just about every retail store imaginable is barely 10 mins down the road.
JimSawhill
Ames 4 Lyfer!

« Reply #247 on: May 06, 2016, 02:52:44 PM »

Yeah Jim, that area is an eyesore. I'd say the biggest problem is their close proximity to Manchester and the recent development of South Windsor. Hard to lure in a retailer when it seems just about every retail store imaginable is barely 10 mins down the road.

I believe since the outlet mall is being built and Cabala's open, I believe that the town will decide to tear the shopping center and build a town green - like they did with the old Grand Union Shopping Plaza/ADP on Main Street in the 80s. The old Showcase Cinemas should be a destination shopping place.  Like an Ikea...

retailisking
Expert Member

« Reply #248 on: May 11, 2016, 01:00:28 AM »

For better or worse, what remains of the restaurants are on their own now
http://www.masslive.com/business-news/index.ssf/2016/05/friendlys_sale_of_ice_cream_plant_puts_f.html
Pikapower
Ames 4 Lyfer!

I'm a Kids "R" Us kid!

« Reply #249 on: May 11, 2016, 04:59:37 AM »

^Does this mean that Friendly's would no longer be selling the pre-packaged ice cream in the restaurants?

retailisking
Expert Member

« Reply #250 on: May 11, 2016, 10:13:35 AM »

^Does this mean that Friendly's would no longer be selling the pre-packaged ice cream in the restaurants?
Good question! The sale includes the rights to the Friendly's trademark, which the restaurants will use under license from Dean Foods. The packaged ice cream is far less profitable for the restaurants than the hand-scopped ice cream, so I wouldn't be surprised if it went away. And besides, the Friendly's restaurants no longer have a vested interest in driving ice cream sales across all channels.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 01:16:15 PM by retailisking » Logged
Bdubs

« Reply #251 on: May 11, 2016, 06:46:44 PM »

Good question! The sale includes the rights to the Friendly's trademark, which the restaurants will use under license from Dean Foods. The packaged ice cream is far less profitable for the restaurants than the hand-scopped ice cream, so I wouldn't be surprised if it went away. And besides, the Friendly's restaurants no longer have a vested interest in driving ice cream sales across all channels.

They are still sharing the same plant in Ma. It's possible things won't change unless Dean Foods decides to take the ice cream to their home turf. Which is a possibility in the future.
Pikapower
Ames 4 Lyfer!

I'm a Kids "R" Us kid!

« Reply #252 on: May 12, 2016, 02:26:39 PM »

If Dean Foods takes the ice cream making part to their home turf would this mean that Friendly's (the restaurant) would no longer have ice cream on the menu?

retailisking
Expert Member

« Reply #253 on: May 14, 2016, 03:12:02 PM »

If Dean Foods takes the ice cream making part to their home turf would this mean that Friendly's (the restaurant) would no longer have ice cream on the menu?
Friendly's restaurants without ice cream have no reason to exist. Heck, the restaurants barely have a reason to exist WITH ice cream!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 04:02:29 PM by retailisking » Logged
Patrick Boots CEC

« Reply #254 on: May 14, 2016, 08:29:58 PM »

Right now they are only surviving off nostalgia I think..They have "Ziosk" tablets with games to play for $1.99. They want money, lol
JimSawhill
Ames 4 Lyfer!

« Reply #255 on: May 28, 2016, 10:03:15 PM »

http://www.masslive.com/business-news/index.ssf/2016/05/friendlys_sale_of_ice_cream_plant_puts_f.html

I guess I wont buy Friendlys ice cream...Dean Dairy is junk...
Brammy
Ames 4 Lyfer!

« Reply #256 on: May 03, 2017, 11:00:29 AM »

The building housing Friendly's in Southington, CT is for sale. It's $2,263,968 and will be leased back to Friendly's.

It was just sold. It went for only $1,146,724 according to a report on the Record Journal's website.

The building housing the Southington Friendly's is for sale again. This time they're asking $2.8 Million.

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/20262715/408-Queen-Street-Southington-CT/

Brammy
retailisking
Expert Member

« Reply #257 on: May 07, 2017, 07:32:19 PM »

I guess I wont buy Friendlys ice cream...Dean Dairy is junk...
I haven't noticed any slippage in quality since the Dean takeover.
Brammy
Ames 4 Lyfer!

« Reply #258 on: September 08, 2017, 10:48:42 AM »

Luiza's Diner which for the past 14 years has operated in a long-closed former Friendly's on the corner of Enterprise Drive and Route 229 (near Lake Compounce Amusement Park and ESPN) in Bristol, Connecticut is moving into the former Friendly's in Unionville, Connecticut.

http://www.bristolpress.com/BP-Bristol+News/301081/luizas-diner-moving-to-unionville

Brammy
JJBers
Ames In their blood!

No Ames nearby since 2002...

« Reply #259 on: October 31, 2017, 02:40:43 PM »

Here is mine in Willimantic. They had to partially renovate the building after Hurricane Sandy:

Willimantic, Connecticut by JJBers, on Flickr

Flickr
Eastern CT Retail

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

JimSawhill
Ames 4 Lyfer!

« Reply #260 on: December 22, 2017, 07:17:16 PM »

Luiza's Diner which for the past 14 years has operated in a long-closed former Friendly's on the corner of Enterprise Drive and Route 229 (near Lake Compounce Amusement Park and ESPN) in Bristol, Connecticut is moving into the former Friendly's in Unionville, Connecticut.

http://www.bristolpress.com/BP-Bristol+News/301081/luizas-diner-moving-to-unionville

I wonder who'll move into their old location?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  

Jump to: