Dairy Queen

Started by storehistoryguy, July 18, 2005, 08:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyGr

Quote from: BillyGr on April 12, 2012, 08:26:05 PM
Quote from: buzz86us on April 11, 2012, 09:27:18 PM
the two that I know of and have eaten at are gone now the one in Saugerties NY is gone as is the one in Lake George NY. I won a Dairy Queen giftcard for $20 a while back but I could only buy Orange Jullius because the shop that did ice cream only in the same mall closed down. Now the closest Dairy Queen to me is 30 miles away in some obscure town called Ghent. Did you know that Dairy Queen is one of the only restaurants that don't have a location in New York City you have to go to New Jersey UGH

I'm guessing you mean in Crossgates (where the DQ closed - both DQ and OJ were side by side, then they opened the current OJ in a different part of the mall, then closed both the others)?

Ghent is not completely obscure - it's the home of the Columbia County Fairgrounds - usually called the Chatham Fair, but while the grounds lie in the VILLAGE of Chatham, they are in the TOWN of Ghent (just to confuse everyone, I guess).  Or at least not for those of us within the county ;)

It is, though a small town and the DQ (which has ice cream, food and added OJ recently) is the only "fast food" type place, which is probably why it sticks around.

There were others at one time - Hudson, now Davi's which is a very similar place with ice cream and food, though in between it was a pharmacy and a used car sales area being the next closest.

The other two current ones I can think of are farther down in Dutchess County - Hyde Park and Wappingers or Fishkill (never can be sure where one ends and the other begins).

http://www.registerstar.com/chatham_courier/news/article_2e170d16-3078-11e3-a8bf-0019bb2963f4.html

Just posting this link to the Register Star about the 50th anniversary of this Dairy Queen in Ghent - the article has a photo of the building being built in 1963, showing the still existing barn shape (although it's been added on to), as well as more current photos.  It also references the other former Dairy Queen in Hudson and the next closest one in Hyde Park.

buzz86us

it is weird I was in fremont ohio earlier this year and they have like every type of chain restaurant there are 2 dairy queens one in the center of town and another toward the limits... how do two dairy queens function in a town like this but not in ny

Hudsons81

Recently, Dairy Queen has also been hit by a data breach in which malware was installed on their cash registers. It's unbelievable how common data breaches are nowadays...

TheFugitive

Quote from: muppethammer26 on October 11, 2014, 06:13:32 PM
Quote from: Hudsons81 on October 11, 2014, 05:13:02 PM
Recently, Dairy Queen has also been hit by a data breach in which malware was installed on their cash registers. It's unbelievable how common data breaches are nowadays...

This is because most of the places still use old technology. They should start upgrading their systems so this will be less likely to happen again.

Some of these breaches occurred in the DQ in the food court at South Hills Village Mall near Pittsburgh.
A new location only a few months old.  Apparently they installed obsolete technology?

Bdubs

Here's a current photo of DQ in Old Saybrook CT. Still has the old logos, and this building was built into the side of a residential home.

retailisking

If you've ever experienced frustration not finding a nationally-advertised food item at your local DQ, this recent story might give you a greater appreciation of "non-system" restaurants
http://www.wvgazettemail.com/life-food-and-dining/20161129/eleanor-dairy-queen-a-family-tradition-in-putnam-county

giantsfan2016

There is a seasonal take-out DQ on Route 10 in Plainville, CT. They remodeled the interior and exterior in-between the 2015 and 2016 operating seasons. It's near the little IGA store Gnazzo's. I don't get out that way much and if I do I never have my camera.

There is a year-round sit-down location with a drive-thru on Meriden Waterbury Turnpike in the Plantsville section of Southington.

retailisking

Apparently the mild February weather in New Hampshire caught the Laconia Dairy Queen off-guard this past weekend:

http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Warm-Weather-Leads-to-Ice-Cream-Shortage-at-Laconia-Dairy-Queen-414826693.html

JJBers

Here's this old Dairy Queen I found in Gettysburg, PA

Atlanta to Willimantic by JJBers, on Flickr

Atlanta to Willimantic by JJBers, on Flickr
Adding this late, but this was in the parking lot of my hotel (Days Inn)
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

BillyGr

Quote from: JJBers on October 20, 2017, 01:03:48 PM

Free sundae with every truck rented? ;)

Pikapower

Quote from: BillyGr on October 21, 2017, 06:43:00 PM

I don't think so! ;)
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

JJBers

Anyways, here is my closest Dairy Queen in Willimantic, CT. It's your typical retrofitted location, at night!:
Sign:

Dairy Queen (Willimantic, Connecticut) by JJBers, on Flickr
Front:

Dairy Queen (Willimantic, Connecticut) by JJBers, on Flickr
Here it is from a distance:

Willimantic, Connecticut by JJBers, on Flickr

It's currently closed for the season
My Flickr

JimSawhill

The old Barn style DQ in Temple Terrace was replaced by the new style, which looks like any other fast food joint. I guess the Grill N Chill concept is the future.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: JimSawhill on December 22, 2017, 08:22:13 PM
The old Barn style DQ in Temple Terrace was replaced by the new style, which looks like any other fast food joint. I guess the Grill N Chill concept is the future.

Their Brazier restaurants are being phased out in favor of the Grill n Chill concept.

shore72

We have a couple locally that are the real old "walk-up" style (no inside dining). One that I drive by all the time had the old Dairy Queen/Brazier sign that was really in character with the store but it was replaced this fall with the DQ Grill-n-chill sign. Ah, progress.

giantsfan2016

Plainville, Connecticut still has one of those walk-up DQ's. It's open May-November. It's own by a family that lives here part of the year and down in Florida the rest of the year. I don't know if you can get everything there that you can get at a sit-down DQ.

TheFugitive

DQ's in my vicinity:

- PA Route 50 in Carnegie, PA  (walk-up seasonal).
- Noblestown Rd. and Poplar Street in Green Tree, PA  (walk-up seasonal)
- Banksville Road in Mt. Lebanon, PA (in a shopping plaza, year-round, some hot sandwiches)
- PA Route 88 in Bethel Park, PA (in a shopping plaza, year-round, some hot sandwiches)
- PA Route 51 South in Whitehall, PA (year-round full menu drive-thru, longtime location that was recently torn down and replaced with a new format store)
- PA Route 885 Lebanon Rd., West Mifflin, PA (walk-up seasonal)
- Food Court at South Hills Village Mall (year-round, walk-up, ice cream only)

JJBers

Quote from: TheFugitive on December 28, 2017, 01:25:06 PM
DQ's in my vicinity:
- CT 66, Willimantic (seasonal)
- CT 12, Norwich (seasonal)
- CT 82, Norwich (year-round)
Nearly 20 miles until the next 3.
- Hartford Rd, Manchester (year-round)
- CT 85, Waterford (Crystal Mall)
- US 1, Groton (year-round)
My Flickr

The Green Bay area has four DQ locations:
Green Bay (Limited Brazier)
Howard (Grill & Chill)
Ashwaubenon (Grill & Chill)
DePere (Brazier)

danfifepsu

Quote from: retailisking on February 28, 2017, 02:12:25 AM
Apparently the mild February weather in New Hampshire caught the Laconia Dairy Queen off-guard this past weekend:

http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Warm-Weather-Leads-to-Ice-Cream-Shortage-at-Laconia-Dairy-Queen-414826693.html

I live 2 miles from that Dairy Queen.

Berkshire Hathaway, the company that owns Dairy Queen, also owns a local ABC-affiliated television station in Miami, Florida, WPLG-TV 10.

JimSawhill

Quote from: JJBers on December 28, 2017, 03:13:34 PM
Quote from: TheFugitive on December 28, 2017, 01:25:06 PM
DQ's in my vicinity:
- CT 66, Willimantic (seasonal)
- CT 12, Norwich (seasonal)
- CT 82, Norwich (year-round)
Nearly 20 miles until the next 3.
- Hartford Rd, Manchester (year-round)
- CT 85, Waterford (Crystal Mall)
- US 1, Groton (year-round)

There is a DQ in East Hartford...they used to be next to Augie and Ray's but they moved to 435 Main Street...

JimSawhill

Quote from: BillyGr on October 21, 2017, 06:43:00 PM

Dairy Queen UHaul outlet?