Modell's Sporting Goods

Started by TRU7536, June 27, 2005, 06:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimSawhill

I would like to see Modell's in Manchester/South Windsor area...

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: JimSawhill on March 23, 2015, 05:44:55 PM

I don't see them expanding in Connecticut any further. I know in Waterbury and Newington (I don't know about elsewhere in Connecticut) they're looking to sub-lease part or all of their store to someone else. Plus when Mr. Modell went undercover on CBS's Undercover Boss he went to a store in Connecticut and one of the employees told him the Connecticut Stores are treated like "The Bastardized Red-Headed Stepchild of the Company."

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on March 23, 2015, 09:18:23 PM
Quote from: JimSawhill on March 23, 2015, 05:44:55 PM

I don't see them expanding in Connecticut any further. I know in Waterbury and Newington (I don't know about elsewhere in Connecticut) they're looking to sub-lease part or all of their store to someone else. Plus when Mr. Modell went undercover on CBS's Undercover Boss he went to a store in Connecticut and one of the employees told him the Connecticut Stores are treated like "The Bastardized Red-Headed Stepchild of the Company."

They were well-anticipated when they arrived in the state, but that seemed to fizzle out just a bit. People go there, however, I think Dick's and Sports Authority (mainly Dick's) have control on the market for sporting goods. Newington's Modell's is located just one plaza over from Dick's, which has been there since the mid-90s during the Ames days. Modell's replaced KB Toy Works. If they are wanting to sublease to another tenant, there is also going to be available space when Radio Shack closes next door. This plaza will be in trouble if Modell's ever decided to close, as they would have three vacancies, two major (including former Planet Fitness) and Radio Shack.

ynkeesfn82

I don't even know how much of a factor Sports Authority is in Connecticut any more. After all they closed stores in Manchester and Milford - both locations are now Hobby Lobby and they downsized their store in Farmington from 40,000 Square Feet to 30,000 Square Feet.

ynkeesfn82

As mentioned on Undercover Boss Modell's is having issues in Connecticut. I wonder if they're trying to fix those issues. They've been advertising on the radio a lot the last few weeks on LITE 100.5 WRCH. Seems like they Modell's ad airs during every stop set. (For those who know nothing about the radio industry "stop set" is a radio term that means commercial break).

retailisking

danfifepsu

scottw73

I have a feeling that Modells days are numbered

TRU7536

They have been around since 1889, be sad if they close. They just signed a lease of approximately 312,000 square feet of warehouse space in NJ a few weeks ago.

The Newington on is the only one left open past Bridgeport. Hamden, Waterbury and Manchester have all closed. I do know Modells is looking to offset the Newington lease, see it on the landlords website.

AmesNewington

Quote from: TRU7536 on February 18, 2020, 06:29:46 PM
They have been around since 1889, be sad if they close. They just signed a lease of approximately 312,000 square feet of warehouse space in NJ a few weeks ago.

The Newington on is the only one left open past Bridgeport. Hamden, Waterbury and Manchester have all closed. I do know Modells is looking to offset the Newington lease, see it on the landlords website.

They've had the Newington store listed as available for lease for a long time. At least 5 years. Yet they keep the store open.

TRU7536

Modells is closing its 4 remaining CT stores: Stamford, Milford, Bridgeport and Newington.

Also looks like they are going the Pier 1 route and filing for bankruptcy. The company is 131-year-old.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/06/modells-prepping-for-bankruptcy-filing/

EddieJ1984

Sadly Modell's ended up going out of business.
I sorely miss them, they have left a void that hasn't been filled really around here in the PA area.