Value City

Started by NJF, February 06, 2005, 10:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJF

Anyone have one of these in their areas?  Kinda reminds me of a combination of Marshalls and Big Lots.

store215

Yep, there's one near me...in a former Clover store.

shakethis1234

never heard of value city there not in CNy

store215

Filene's Basement (Not Filenes..that is just may Company)
and DSW Shoes are other divisions of Value City.

HoJofan206

We have a Value City Furniture store here in Evansville.  I have seen a Value City Department store in Louisville KY, but we do not have one here.  They are somewhat like an old Hills Dept store.

SomeBeach

Value City has a few stores in Michigan, as well as some Value City Furniture stores. For an older store, the one on Fenton Road in Flint is nice, as is their furinture store (a Federals-turned-Woolco). However, I was at a bizarre two-story one in Livonia (mall-based, former Crowley's) that was fine on the lower level, but sparse and very trashy on the upper level -- merchandise piled up at random in one corner, nearly nothing in another corner.

Jag67

Here's one that was AM&A's. Built in 1952 (?)

tokensafari

We have a Value City Department Store and A Value City Furniture store. Both have been in this area for quite some time now.

Jag67

my uncle LOVES Valu City Dept. Stores. He says you can get a VCR there for like $20 if it's on sale.

store215

Employees get a 30% discount too! someone in my close family works there.

So far, I have scroed two TI-83 Graphing Calculators for less than  $7 each  and 3 HP color ink carts. for only a few bucks for all 3!

dooneyt63

Value City is another store that venerates the retail past by its recycled buildings with little or no alterations.  They do the Big Lots thing by recycling shopping carts from defunct chains.  They are more like a Marshalls or T.J. Maxx than a Big Lots...but they are often arranged more like a department store....sort of like a Stein Mart with more departments.  An interesting part of the current retail universe...hope they hold on in this increasingly bland retail environment.

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by dooneyt63
Value City is another store that venerates the retail past by its recycled buildings with little or no alterations.  They do the Big Lots thing by recycling shopping carts from defunct chains.  They are more like a Marshalls or T.J. Maxx than a Big Lots...but they are often arranged more like a department store....sort of like a Stein Mart with more departments.  An interesting part of the current retail universe...hope they hold on in this increasingly bland retail environment.

They do use recycled carts? The few Value City stores I've been to are using their own gray-colored carts.

d_fife

here is the value city in wyoming mi it is 85,000 sf. here is the sign

from http://www.cedarshoppingcenters.com/valueCSC.htm

d_fife

here is value city in paramus nj in the bergen mall on rt. 4 it is 138,000 sf

from http://www.siteride.com/srpl/p_snapshot.pl?lm=listing&resbox=1142040306&subNum=40205000002

d_fife

here is the value city in williamsport / muncy (pennsdale) pa. in the lycoming mall

KyleRF

The location at the Bergen Mall is now closed.

HoJofan206

Evansville Indiana...former Wal-mart location turned Value City Furniture.

videogamer75

I was at goodwill today and caught them using a classic Value City shopping cart....the logos on the side had simple index cards with "Goodwill" written on them with a marker, but the Value City logo was uncovered and clearly visible on the front of the cart. The handle bar had a sticker reading "property of Goodwill" covering the Value City logo.

beachgal26

We have 2 in the Memphis area and one is nearby and very nice (just furniture).  However, the other is in a questionable area of transition and is a combo store.

:tumble:

videogamer75

I would've gotten a picture of the cart, but it was right in front of the checkout line. There was only about 7 shopping carts total in the Goodwill, the other ones just being generic gray carts that could've been used by anybody, probably walmart.

MikeRa

There is a Value City in Feasterville, PA, in a former Clover Department Store location.  Clover was a division of Strawbridge & Clothier.:cool:
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

wiseguy93

Value City located in Danville, Virginia.
At the Danville PLaza on Riverside Drive.

Mobil

My Value City is a former Korvettes, built in 1957. The store was announced to be closing but mission aborted.  :holysh::huh: Makes me glad because I live right near it, and I have even had nightmares twice about the eyesore it could become. The Value City at Tri-State Mall in Claymont, Delaware (on I-95 at the PA-DE border) closed recently and became a Burlington Coat Factory. The store was originally "Wilmington Dry Goods", which I think was not related to Associated Dry Goods (ADG). The mall opened in 1967 and that store closed in 1989 or 1990. Another Value City just closed at Cumberland Mall in Vineland, NJ.

NJxxJon

Value City is one of them stores that SOMETIMES you find a good deal. I havent seen their commericals that much anymore and .........they seem to be going in a BOBs Store Direction. :tumble:
JN

store215

Value City is under new ownership now...along with closing a bunch of stores, the merchandise they seem to have now is way downhill (no more last season's Nike sneakers for instance, or similar name brands).

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by Mobil
Another Value City just closed at Cumberland Mall in Vineland, NJ.

here is a picture I took of that former value city on september 1, 2008

Crawford

That Value City looks like began life as a K-mart
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

dmx10101

QuoteOriginally posted by Crawford
That Value City looks like began life as a K-mart

I thought the samething when I saw that picture.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

videogamer75

Actually, it was originally a Two Guys. Never a Kmart, but I do see the similarity.

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
Actually, it was originally a Two Guys. Never a Kmart, but I do see the similarity.

Two Guys? Are you sure? I saw another post on this board that the Two Guys in Vineland was on Landis Avenue, which became a Jamesway that was still vacant till recently. The plaza also contained a Rickel, and was just torn down for a Wal-Mart Supercenter.