Roy Rogers

Started by amesman, January 09, 2005, 07:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amesman

Marriott owned owned Roy Rogers and Howard Johnson's in the 80's, and, they sold Roy Rogers, and gave up Howard Johnson's. I think they still own Big Boy.

Ironically though, the service areas that Roy Rogers restaurants are in, are owned by the Marriott affiliate, Host Marrott Service, or HMS.

C. Fontaine

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
Yeah, low-carbys.  I love their roast beef, even though they are expensive.  Actually, there is a Roy Rogers near me too, right off of Hwy. 84 in Sturbridge, MA.

Lucky, Roys was my favorite "fast food" restaurant until they sold them all in the mid-90's to McDonalds. They had locations everywhere in PA.  (McDonalds turned them into Boston Markets, which have almost all closed, a few became another failed McDonalds concept "Donatos Pizza", which are still open.) My local Roy Rogers became an Applebees around 1997.

The only time I get to eat there now is @ one of the Delaware travel plazas and it isn't exactly the same.
Yeah, I remember seeing many Roy Rogers in the past.  Now the only place I see them is in travel plazas off of major highways.

Caldor1999

You can only fing Roy Rogers on rest stops on highways
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

shakethis1234

There on the Threway I 90

store215

There are still a few free-standing ones left in MD/VA area and some other places.

Here is a pic of a new RR that opened up in September (Fredrick, MD)

HoJofan206

I have heard that they are trying to expand the Roy Rogers chain once again with a new Franchise system.  Of course, FAI tried the same thing with Howard Johnson's back in 1990 and we all know how well that worked out.  :mad:

AmesNewington

There's a Roy Roger's in Newington on the Berlin Turnpike in Lowe's Center. There's so many restaurants around it, I'm surprised it survives. We used to go there sometimes.

76fanAmesmanBBTB

there was one some where in CT where Media Play is aside a wide subruban type strip of road

HERES AN OLDSTYLED SIGN

MY FAVORITE

I used to eat there all the time

glad its SIB (Still In Business)

76fanAmesmanBBTB

HERES ALOT MORE logos

AS I SAID BEFORE I THINK ITS SMALL ENOUGH

HoJofan206

Is that Roy Rogers sign in the grass (middle of the picture) actually setting inside a 1970's Howard Johnson sign?  Looks like that might be a former HoJo building in the background.
Does anyone know?:no:

BillyGr

Very possible - it is a shot of a (now former) Roy Rogers on the Mass Pike (Marriott lost the contract to McDonalds a few years back, so now all the rest stops have been redone with McD's and their affiliates).  Check the page listed below - the picture there is larger and you can see the Mass Pike logo (hat) in the background.

http://www.geocities.com/roy_rogers_wb/history.html

Also from that page - this line:

1986- Marriott Converts 3 Old Howard Johnson's On Mass Turnpike To Roy Rogers (and this was probably one of the three?).

HoJofan206

Mariott was responsible for changing many of the former HoJo restaurants into other businesses.  Then they themselves got out of the restaurant scene alltogeter.  :mad:

Anonymous

Manchester CT was a former Hojos. And still operating as a RR. In fact they just remodeled and updated the location, so it looks less like a Hojo now.

Awsome fried chicken. :)

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by Anonymous
Manchester CT was a former Hojos. And still operating as a RR. In fact they just remodeled and updated the location, so it looks less like a Hojo now.

thats nice who are you?:question:

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Anonymous

lol who are u we just wanna know lol we always seem to have a Anonymous on this sight  lol:insane:
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

LazarusFan

I'm surprised to find a Roy Rogers in east Cincinnati.  Must be there because of the significance of the town in which Roy Rogers was born.:huh:

Zayre88

I remember that in 1996, we were on vacation and we stopped at a rest area in NY state and there was a Roy Rogers.  That's where i picked a salt / pepper packets

storehistoryguy

Does anyone besides me remember the hamburger bar? :huh:

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
I remember that in 1996, we were on vacation and we stopped at a rest area in NY state and there was a Roy Rogers.  That's where i picked a salt / pepper packets

u mean thoughs havent been open sibnce 1996
Caldor Forever!

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88

u mean thoughs havent been open sibnce 1996

Yes, back then i collected these... :rolleyes:

AmesNewington

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
Does anyone besides me remember the hamburger bar? :huh:

I remember very well. It is called the "Fixin' Bar" where you get everything for your hamburger, plus ingredients to make a nice salad. The Newington Roy Rogers I bet still has it. It was there as early as 1992 and even before that. I always looked forward to going there after Bradlees or Ames when I was small.

thedisneystore967

:info:

does anybody no 'bout there "Double-r-Barr-Burger? I've never seen it, but my mom told my it was made from a pig instead of a cow...lol:insane:

amesman

That's on the New York State Thruway mainline(I-90 portion) between Syracuse and Rochester. All the service areas on the Thruway between Albany and Buffalo used to be Howard Johnson's in the early 80's. Now, the buildings are owned by ethier McDonalds or Marriott(as well as the ones between Albany and NYC). And, only two original mansard roofed Hojo buildings remain, and those are at the Iriqious Service Area near Little Falls, and the Scottsville Service Area near Rochester. All the others have ethier been remodeled extensively, or demolished. Before being Howard Johnson's, they were something else, but I can't remember the name of the company(s). The service areas between Albany and New York City, were owned by The Chefs, and the one west of Buffalo(Angola Service Area) used to be owned by Interstate United.

d_fife

here is the old roy rogers in parsippany on state highway 46 that became wendy's

form http://www.siteride.com/srpl/p_snapshot.pl?lm=listing&resbox=1142041473&subNum=50220010119

d_fife

roy rogers in manchester  ct

d_fife

roy rogers newington ct

Loki

There is a great stand alone 1980's vintage Roy Rogers on route 5 in North Haven, CT next to the Holliday Inn. Both inside and out it looks like nothing has changed in the past 20 something years. Double-R-Bar burger, fixin's bar, holster of fries and all. Next time I'm near it I'll try and snap some photos.

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by Loki
There is a great stand alone 1980's vintage Roy Rogers on route 5 in North Haven, CT next to the Holliday Inn. Both inside and out it looks like nothing has changed in the past 20 something years. Double-R-Bar burger, fixin's bar, holster of fries and all. Next time I'm near it I'll try and snap some photos.

Roy Rogers is a chain whose largely left behind a lot of their stores in the early 80s. I'm pretty sure the Newington location is from the 70's, having received a few paint jobs at best.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Loki

I went by the North Haven, CT Roy Rogers over the weekend and I'm sad to say it's no more. I was just there in December and it was alive and well and fully decked out for the holidays with no signs of iminent closure. It's also been removed from the Roy Rogers website.

webcookie

We used to have a Roy Rodgers here in Middletown, NY but it's a Boston Market now. I remember when I was little one of my friends had her birthday party there and I wouldn't go because I didn't like the food, and when my mom called the girls mother to decline the invitation, she said no one had said they were coming. :( So then I felt bad. She was a very nice girl. Well, she still is. She still says hi to me whenever she sees me and we haven't been friends since elementary school (we're in our early 20s now). But I still think that was an odd place for a birthday party. Most people who had their birthday parties at a restaurant had them at Pizza Hut, McDonald's, or the Ground Round.
Before there was Wal-Mart...
Caldor, Zayre, Woolworth, Bradlees, K-Mart, & Ames ruled the Earth.